Why become a member? ×

Damn Right, I Got The Blues Thread

Jonesy

On 27/04/2022 at 15:26, chris_b said:

Keb Mo. . . .

He's playing in my town (Cologne) next week. I'd love to go, but my lady is not into blues (she ducked out of going to see Johnny Winter with me) and I'm not sure I want to go alone.

2 hours ago, pigface said:

He's playing in my town (Cologne) next week. I'd love to go, but my lady is not into blues (she ducked out of going to see Johnny Winter with me) and I'm not sure I want to go alone.

Keb Mo is not limited to one genre. His music covers a wide range of styles. Me and the wife have been to see him at least half a dozen times. I envy you, he's not coming to the UK this trip!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chris_b said:

Keb Mo is not limited to one genre. His music covers a wide range of styles. Me and the wife have been to see him at least half a dozen times. I envy you, he's not coming to the UK this trip!!!

Sure, he's perhaps a bit like Taj Mahal in the genre sense. I was lucky enough to see Taj in Dublin in about 1981. He's a huge favourite of mine. Still don't think I'll get milady to go, though ... 🙄

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Koko Taylor, what a voice! I love the bass line for 'Trying to make a living' and there's a handy little vid on YT with someone playing it.....

The original line was played by Cornelius Boyson, which I think we can all agree is a cool name and the dude looked even cooler......

image.thumb.png.bd677c68219dc751ad63655055959cd0.png

Sixty posts in, and still no mention of the grand farther of British blues...John Mayall.  Let's put that right. 😉

While this track is not your "traditional" blues, it is one of my favourites, as is the whole album ("Turning Point"). At the time, Mayall decided to dispense with lead guitar and drums (hence the album title). Johnny Almond's sax playing throughout the album is superb and more than makes up for the lack of lead guitar IMO.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Guess I should have seen the writing on the wall with my old band when they all wanted to do the Coverdale version of Ain't no Love 😕

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chris_b said:

I hadn't much outside of 'Ain't no love.....' so gave 'Dreamer' & 'His California Album' a listen this morning. I really liked them, but sometimes when he sings he sounds like he's coughing up a loogie! 🤢

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I hadn't much outside of 'Ain't no love.....' so gave 'Dreamer' & 'His California Album' a listen this morning. I really liked them, but sometimes when he sings he sounds like he's coughing up a loogie! 🤢

His version of Stormy Monday Blues is pretty much the go to version for most Blues bands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

His version of Stormy Monday Blues is pretty much the go to version for most Blues bands.

I'm just listening to 'Call on me/That's the way love is' and, although the 70s albums are good, I'm much preferring his earlier stuff. Spotify seems to have some pretty huge gaps in his discography, but I'll get through what they have and check out the rest on YT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...