Why become a member? ×

Damn Right, I Got The Blues Thread

Jonesy

There's a few different threads for different genres and I had a quick search for the blues, but couldn't find any specific thread, so thought I'd create one!

Thought this would be a cool place to chuck a load of tunes with good basslines, share any decent blues content or generally chat about the blues. 

Just to kick things off, here's Jerry Jemmott laying down a nice groove with BB King from 'Live and Well'

If you're interested then there's also a handy lesson on YouTube:

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Nice! Haven't really heard any of his stuff, I really dig these and now have him on Spotify 😃

I like it too, though when he starts singing on the first song, I could have sworn he sang "I'm in a dandruff mood" 😆

• Haha 1

Some great tracks so far!

I've been listening to loads of Son Seals today (and always tbh) he's criminally under rated imo and lived a tragic life. His whole back catalogue is something special and his debut is a cracker, with Jon Riley laying down a nice little groove on the below.......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steantval said:

Gov’t Mule

I've always had them on my radar, but never really listened loads until i came across 'Heavy load blues', which came out last year. It's a really good album and has a nice cover of 'Snatch it back and hold it' that's worth a listen.

When I was a kid, my dad (who is massively into blues) recorded a BB King concert from the early Days of Channel 4 at the end of a VHS tape.  The programme was called BB King at The Forum.  I believe it was filmed at the Forum in Ontario, Canada around 1978.

When I found it, most of it had been recorded over as my dad wasn't a BB fan, but I certainly became one.  His bass player at the time (Russell B Jackson) became a huge influence on me wanting to play bass and I wore the tape out constantly playing this.

I have tried to find a copy of it over the years but have just found this on Youtube:

I have never seen the first 4 and a half minutes before as that had been recorded over! . 

EDIT - Just watching it through fully now and this version has loads of chunks missing in the middle which is a shame.  Would love to get a full copy some time...

Edited by Huge Hands
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

His bass player at the time (Russell B Jackson) became a huge influence on me wanting to play bass and I wore the tape out constantly playing this.

Russell Jackson was a big influence on me too. He was the first guy I saw with replacement pickups in his P bass, Bartolini's. I bought a set from Chandler's the next week. They were a huge improvement to my sound.

I'm going to be following this thread... great idea.  Some great, great songs so far. 

Here is one of my favourites.  Blue Jean Blues, the Jeff Healey cover of a ZZ Top song.  ZZ Top's original is moody and understated but I love the solo in this version when it winds up around 2:35 in.  Makes the hair stand up on my neck :) 

• Like 3