Why become a member? ×

Fender Musicmaster Bass on recordings

Tim Chapple

That Air track on “Moon Safari” was recorded with a 1960’s Hofner violin bass that Nicolas Godin had on loan from a friend in Paris. There’s an interview online somewhere where he mentioned it had old black nylon tapewounds on, and that he tried to buy the bass but his friend wasn’t selling it. Afterwards he got a violin bass and another Hofner (similar to the one Tina Weymouth used), possibly a Club bass? 

I can’t find that particular interview on this phone, but he briefly mentions the Hofner in a Red Bull Music Academy interview here:

E6B9243F-15D5-49B8-895E-30D471EE8E50.thumb.jpeg.415319a43c526f60f89bef04b309ff79.jpeg

https://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/nicolas-godin-lecture

• Like 2

Reggae artist Pachyman definitely uses a Fender Musicmaster bass on a lot of his recordings. Not sure what’s on Spotify cause I’m not on there but there’s plenty videos on YT:

And there’s a band called Black Sea Dahu that use Musicmaster basses live and in the studio. Again, I couldn’t say what’s definitely a Musicmaster on any of their tunes on Spotify but there’s clips of them live with an early 70’s one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 09:48, ezbass said:

This appeared on my YT feed. 

Enjoyed that, not sure if I agree with all of his comments on the sound though?  The JMJ to my ears had much more definition and authority; made me think about putting rounds on mine.

18 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Enjoyed that, not sure if I agree with all of his comments on the sound though?  The JMJ to my ears had much more definition and authority; made me think about putting rounds on mine.

I tried some D’Addario rounds on mine, they were OK, but not as nice as the EB Cobalts that I have on it at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Was Holger Csukay's bass with Can a Musicmaster, or one of the other short scale Fenders?

His first electric bass with Can was a 1960s Fender Mustang. Looking at old live footage he may have got his Fender Jazz in 1971 or 72 but the earlier stuff is the white Mustang bass with the weird mods done to it.