Why become a member? ×

Fuzz into a Filter

bassist_lewis

I like putting a fuzz into an envelope filter. It sounds synthy and cool. but I've noticed that not all fuzzes behave in the same way, even with the same filter. My B:Assmaster is the best, triggering the filter in just the right way to get that distinct vowel sound. But any other of my fuzzes and it just doesn't quite work. Even my Diabolik, which is just a paired down version of the B:Assmaster, doesn't hit the filter in the same way. If I turn up the volume on my Jupiter it kind of works, but then its impossibly loud. Anyone able to give some insight?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Filters with an FX loop are what’s needed. That way, your dry bass signal can be used to trigger the envelope. 

Shame its not a feature on most filters! It works beautifully.

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

I have a Chromatron so I'll try that. There's just something magic about the Moog though...

Which one? The MF101? Well, yes, 4-pole with a huge amount of resonance and a nice drive.

Chromatron is only 2-pole but you can get some juicy sounds from it. 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2022 at 18:36, Quatschmacher said:

Which one? The MF101? Well, yes, 4-pole with a huge amount of resonance and a nice drive.

Chromatron is only 2-pole but you can get some juicy sounds from it. 

Built-in fx loop is just the ticket! Put the Diabolik through it and it's exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 2

It makes a massive difference. Another little trick is to put a compressor in the chromatron loop, so you still get the benefit of a comp, but it doesn't interfere with the dynamics of the filter (which can happen if placed before or after)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've just re-remembered the Walrus Audio Kangra, which is a filter/fuzz all in one. The demos sound pretty good.

A couple of BC brothers tried it and wernt keen,but it's all subjective. I have an Emma Okto Nojs (the fuzz on this, is the nearest to a 3 leaf Doom ive heard)which I love,buy I know others who wernt keen.

Edited by lee650

4 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The Deep Animation by Death By Audio seems to do both. There’s one currently for sale here on BC. 

Just been checking that out, as ive never heard of it. Really interesting filter. No control over the overdrive  and its always on, so not sure,how that would behave when adding other fuzz or octave. Maybe ran in parallel it would be cool.