Why become a member? ×

EBMM Joe Dart 2 is here

acidbass

Personally Im not a fan of signature basses or guitars which are just standard models in a different colour.  I expect something that you cant just buy off the shelf (Yamaha attitude, Roscoe Beck V) spring to mind.  I am not fussed if its been used on loads of records or none, but if it has features i cant get somewhere else.  

I had always assumed that as his stingray's are fairly standard this was why there wasn't a Tony Levin Signature.  In terms of popularity, I dont think a non-bassplayer will buy a signature bass, but I think a bass player will buy a signature bass of someone they hadnt heard.  I know I wanted a Roscoe Beck V when they were released but had no idea of the music he played.

Jonny

21 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Personally Im not a fan of signature basses or guitars which are just standard models in a different colour.  I expect something that you cant just buy off the shelf (Yamaha attitude, Roscoe Beck V) spring to mind.  I am not fussed if its been used on loads of records or none, but if it has features i cant get somewhere else.  

I had always assumed that as his stingray's are fairly standard this was why there wasn't a Tony Levin Signature.  In terms of popularity, I dont think a non-bassplayer will buy a signature bass, but I think a bass player will buy a signature bass of someone they hadnt heard.  I know I wanted a Roscoe Beck V when they were released but had no idea of the music he played.

Jonny

Why would a non bass player buy a bass at all? Oh, hang on, I think I see what you mean, someone new to bass?

The Roscoe Beck sig was a fab instrument in its own right, if the neck hadn’t been so narrow on the 4 string, I’d probably still have mine. Strange really, as the 5 string was particularly wide, compared to something like a ‘Ray5. Still probably the best bass Fender no longer make (although there is a strong case for the Stu Hamm too).

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Why would a non bass player buy a bass at all? Oh, hang on, I think I see what you mean, someone new to bass?

The Roscoe Beck sig was a fab instrument in its own right, if the neck hadn’t been so narrow on the 4 string, I’d probably still have mine. Strange really, as the 5 string was particularly wide, compared to something like a ‘Ray5. Still probably the best bass Fender no longer make (although there is a strong case for the Stu Hamm too).

It was more the posts earlier about people who don’t know who Tim commerford or John myung is but they know who joe dart is…

the urge was a great bass, I think stu’s more recent basses haven’t been as interesting…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonnybass said:

In terms of popularity, I dont think a non-bassplayer will buy a signature bass, but I think a bass player will buy a signature bass of someone they hadnt heard. 

I disagree with this from my experience. My first basses were wanted purely because the musicians I liked played similar. I’d be surprised  if I’m alone in wanting to look and sound like my favourite bands.

On 28/07/2022 at 07:58, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, cause as we all know popularity (read quantity) equals quality, just look at Top 40, absolute gold, cream of the cream of music, the true avantgarde, pure genuine genius, all classics that will be listened to for decades to come by true music lovers, one only has to listen to Kanye Wests version of "Bohemian Rhapsody", which is at least 100 times better than Freddie Mercury's, to know this is for a fact true, and that Kanye West is indeed the greatest legendary rock star who ever lived, and that Queen should be stripped from all they ever achieved and instead have all the respect and space in music history that they've earned given to Kanye West, as he rightfully truly deserves.

Just like Joe Dart's "Dean Town" displays a musicianship at least a thousand times greater than Jaco Pastorius's "Teen Town", the number of real teenage listeners of the respective songs here should speak for them self, not only as to which is the better song and which holds the greatest musical qualities of the two, but also as to which of them truly deserves it's place in music history and which do most definitely not.

It is time for "Dean Time" to be declared legendary at the expense of "Teen Town", which from this day on shall be declared no longer legendary, along with Jaco Pastorius, in favor of Joe Dart! 

No doubt Vulfpeck if any has the power needed to rewrite music history.

From scratch!

Mozart have had a central role in music history for way longer than plenty, way overdue time to erase his contribution to music history for good and for his spot in it to be passed on to OneRepublic!

You see, there is in fact such a thing as a limit to just how long you can be legendary before your contribution to history is no longer legendary but just boring old news that only boring people wants to listen to/read, and who wants to be boring?

I'd say burn all the history books, they are just full of old boring news anyway, and write some new ones with a more modern and action packed story involving some reality stars and YouTube/Instagram influencers, and just watch the amount of readers sky rocket in no time!

For instance I'd suggest replacing the story about Napoleon and Waterloo with a "most popular YouTube influencer Vs most popular Instagram influencer" kind of story, like same concept as the "Alien Vs Predator" movie sort of thing, though the latest season of Paradise Hotel I think probably might work well for this too, cause honestly who wants to read some old boring story about some old boring dead megalomanic French guy, hello, sooo boooring!

Yes, I see now clearly what you are saying Sideshow Bob, very acute and insightful point, thank you for granting me this pricelessly unique insight to the inner workings of a hipster Vulfpeck fan's mind. :i-m_so_happy:

297.jpeg.1ce43009eec08d5ab7cef290c05e1f58.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I disagree with this from my experience. My first basses were wanted purely because the musicians I liked played similar. I’d be surprised  if I’m alone in wanting to look and sound like my favourite bands.

Ritchie Blackmore was probably the reason I wanted a cream Stratocaster.

I ended up with... a Richie Sambora Stratocaster :D

No, it wasn't a matter of getting the wrong Ri(t)chie, but the Sambora one had a humbucker at the bridge and a Floyd Rose, both of which I really like.

So yeah, my first Stratocaster was a Richie Sambora signature (that I still have, 26 years later), purely because it was the right colour and it had the right pickup/bridge combination. I still tried to play more like Ritchie than Richie and managed to get close to neither :D

• Like 3

The fundamental question about the Joe Dart Signature model MK2 is what will this bass do for you that a Fender (or other brand of your choosing) Jazz Bass won't? The answer is ... nothing. 

Joe Dart, Jack Stratton et al will be wetting themselves laughing at plebs on internet forums agonizing over the minute differences between this EBMM offering and any old other Jazz Bass. Joe is a terrific player who can get a tune out of any old bass, and does. That's the joke. He couldn't give a monkeys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Just like Fender are wetting themselves laughing at the plebs who spend big money on something a Harley Benton or SX can do for less than a tenth of the price?

Not quite, no.

What makes a decent Fender-style bass is a whole other discussion (argument). But at least Fender want to sell you a Fender. Joe Dart has got EBMM to sell you a Fender, at a premium price. What does that tell you about his esteem for Music Man basses? He tried one for a while and decided it wasn't for him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Not quite, no.

What makes a decent Fender-style bass is a whole other discussion (argument). But at least Fender want to sell you a Fender. Joe Dart has got EBMM to sell you a Fender, at a premium price. What does that tell you about his esteem for Music Man basses? He tried one for a while and decided it wasn't for him.

Not sure if that is entirely accurate. It looks to me like a MM Caprice with Jazz pickups.

955506FD-EAFD-4D35-A2B9-BBC103F4EBB3.thumb.png.9c8e9347594880112550af30f83ab189.png

I guess the Fender Flea Active is a MusicMan bass masquerading as a Fender Jazz and Flea is also guilty.

Any roads Leo Fender did come up with all of these designs and sold MM on to EB so even if we ignore copyright expiry I don’t think there is any shady business by MM or Joe Dart.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Not quite, no.

A lot of assumptions here. They’re all basses; different basses have differences and even the same basses have differences. If there’s more availability on the market, more power to the consumer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...