Why become a member? ×

EBMM Joe Dart 2 is here

acidbass

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I don't normally like 38mm width necks, but I'm loving the 38mm on my 'Ray SS. Therefore, I concur with your statement.

Their necks are normally a bit wider (except for the Sterling, the SLO neck and the JD) and it is more the shape of the neck and the feel that I like. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I actually think that sounds fantastic. Full, gritty and aggressive. Way better than some of that Lobster guys really high end Jazz-like basses that sound a bit....too polite. 

If there is one thing about Musicman I always rely on, its that they REALLY know how to make a pickup.

EBMM do indeed make very good pickups. I certainly wouldn't swap an EBMM pickup for an aftermarket replacement. At best it would be a sideways move.🙂

However, decent-sounding though they may be, I've been looking at the specifications for the pickups on this bass. The fact that they are split-coil to cancel hum(nothing new in that) does not make them akin to a P Bass, by the way. It makes them a hum-cancelling J Bass pickup. They sound fine, but I really can't see (or hear) anything remotely special about them. Lots of J Bass pickups sound like these ones. 

Anyhow you want to try dress it up, this is a kind-of Jazz Bass with no finish on it that will probably start to look pretty grubby over time because it is unfinished. 

Don't get me wrong, this will be a good quality bass  for what it is and if it captures people's imagination then great, I hope they enjoy their purchase. But is anyone  really trying to tell me that this bass offers something unique or remotely new? Am I supposed to believe that this bass isn't essentially just another Jazz Bass ( sans tone control)? 

It's Joe Dart and his mates making fun of the musical instrument industry. The idea is to reinvent the wheel and sell it as something other than the wheel, whilst using it as a wheel. 

Maybe they will refine the design further to bring out the Joe Dart 3 and you will just get an empty limited edition case and a thank you note. No uneccessary bass to get in the way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

It's Joe Dart and his mates making fun of the musical instrument industry. The idea is to reinvent the wheel and sell it as something other than the wheel, whilst using it as a wheel. 

Maybe they will refine the design further to bring out the Joe Dart 3 and you will just get an empty limited edition case and a thank you note. No uneccessary bass to get in the way.

I'm holding out for the Joe Dart IV which will have no control knobs and a piezo pick up only.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm not sure I get the output problem really.

Modern amps are stupidly powerful. Just turn up the input gain and the master volume.

It doesn't seem to just be a low output - the tone sounds weak and muffled compared to those other basses. A bit like the cab's in a different room.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I thought the tone was fine. I'm listening on studio monitors.

Lobster is a bit of an EBMM fanboy - he has a bunch of them. For him to be putting down an MM instrument it must be pretty bad. 

• Like 4

I still think this instrument range is Joe Dart trolling the artist series bass world.  I was convinced the first one, with that big stupid knob, was a joke when it popped up on their YouTube.  They're so obviously cheap looking and lacking in features, it's almost too obvious they are the epitome of overpriced signature basses.

Are we sure he's not? 😅

Just what the... :shok:

My comment was deleted.

Not because I broke any forum guidelines, but simply, I must assume, because some moderator didn't like it.

No notification about it, nothing, just deleted, which I find concerning.

I think it was actually relevant for the topic.

Critical?: yes, definitely - Caricatured and satirical?: absolutely - Harsh?: maybe - But humerus and tongue in cheek, and, probably more importantly in this context, totally relevant and on point.

Here is an article about the famous "stinky poo" on can art piece that my original comment was a reference to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist's_Shit

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I actually thought that it sounded better than the other Jazzes, if a bit ‘nosier’ (not as twangy, which I would normally prefer). I usually think he gets a poor sound whatever he plays but I thought that was ok. 

Totally agree with Fretmeister about turning the amp up. Lower powered pickups can have their own tonal advantages.