Why become a member? ×

EBMM Joe Dart 2 is here

acidbass

Well for a bass which several people here (and a lot on Talkbass) have questioned the quality of and claim to be able to knock up in their own private sheds, it looks rather nice to me (but there again I rather like natural ash finished basses)

74116EE4-B474-4D12-B5C8-2EED495C29B2.thumb.jpeg.a1c98253b06c724444dcdf84c3969b1a.jpeg

BFC1AD7D-1025-4D89-BAF2-6382CF119373.thumb.jpeg.32ba6e30fc6328a9566adf3ec800fc15.jpeg

A0D8728C-3568-4005-8EC9-0FB799299C0B.thumb.jpeg.004b7f3ab812d3d574c4ccc763fd5c35.jpeg

519DD132-BC79-4DE6-8B93-5004E1637B0A.thumb.jpeg.b2a917adf5f1f993152df5cc0b6d043c.jpeg

35A2F406-F29D-4A1E-B22B-5F04BDD7603D.thumb.jpeg.ed9e40f7509ac59ca8907bc182f3999b.jpeg

B93532BA-3D8B-4242-9DB1-A04C7702C4B6.thumb.jpeg.65765463287d7b6ad452de3dbbcb6c0c.jpeg

pics by EBMM 

Love or hate the Joe Dart Bass Series, they sell, so it's a no brainer for Music Man.

The thing I don't get is that Music Man were heavily criticised for not having signature basses. Now they are and they're selling well, they still get stick 🤷‍♂️

Nobody is forcing you to buy them.

For what it's worth, I played one of the earlier models at the weekend and I really wanted to like it, but I didn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The thing I don't get is that Music Man were heavily criticised for not having signature basses. Now they are and they're selling well, they still get stick 🤷‍♂️

But they're the wrong people getting signature basses... 😉

Personally I can't stand Joe Dart, or the basses, but I can understand why EB have done them.

10 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Sounds like a jazz bass to me. Am I missing something?

Yeah it does to me as well (but without the hum!!) They cost less than a Fender CS team built Pino signature bass - which are relatively simple mass produced basses with selected materials - these are assembled in a similar way so arguably simply a high quality signature bass, albeit a quirky one (which matches the artist). 

More photos here showing more detail. One thing you can be sure of, it’ll be top quality. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/463934-musicman-joe-dart-11-bass/

One other thought, I think 2 people on Talkbass have said they’ve ordered them - if that stays the same, it gives an indication of the level of general representation of all bass players on Talkbass (2% 😀😂). A lot of hot air going on over there as well!! 

Edited by drTStingray

I like the natural finish of the body but I HATE satin finish maple necks especially when they are that awful pale shade like on this bass, just looks cheap to me and on a bass that costs over 2k that is the last thing I would want.

Oh and the volume knobs and the pickups are hideous

Also the 250k volume pots are a bit baffling to me, they claim "there are no tone controls to color the sound; therefore, the tone is manipulated solely by the user's technique and finesse" but then they colour the sound by using the lowest value volume pots, really if they wanted an uncoloured sound they should have gone with 2x 500k pots with a treble bleed circuit

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you want to sound like Joe Dart, get a Jazz. That's the bass he uses on gigs.

He hasn’t generally for some time - watch the Vulfpeck at Madison Square Gardens concerts on You Tube - he uses the single H Joe Dart bass - sounds much fatter than the Jazz did on older videos. 

In fact that’s exactly the sound I aim for live now (using various Musicman basses and Markbass) (thinking of getting a compressor as well). 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gjones said:

Is that really the sound he was looking for?

It sounds a bit like a duck.... quack, quack.

His old Mexican Jazz sounded fine to me.

I think the song in the video would be the perfect backing track for the new Frogger 5000 video game due to hit the shelves next month.

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah it does to me as well (but without the hum!!) They cost less than a Fender CS team built Pino signature bass - which are relatively simple mass produced basses with selected materials - these are assembled in a similar way so arguably simply a high quality signature bass, albeit a quirky one (which matches the artist). 

More photos here showing more detail. One thing you can be sure of, it’ll be top quality. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/463934-musicman-joe-dart-11-bass/

One other thought, I think 2 people on Talkbass have said they’ve ordered them - if that stays the same, it gives an indication of the level of general representation of all bass players on Talkbass (2% 😀😂). A lot of hot air going on over there as well!! 

I wonder why it has the older style tuners and not the lighter weight models that have been on most US MM basses in the last 4 years or so (Sterling USA excepted)?

Is it the same body shape as the Joe Dart 1? Something looks not quite right to my eyes, maybe individual taste.

33 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I wonder why it has the older style tuners and not the lighter weight models that have been on most US MM basses in the last 4 years or so (Sterling USA excepted)?

Is it the same body shape as the Joe Dart 1? Something looks not quite right to my eyes, maybe individual taste.

The body's offset somewhat like a jazz. Looks like they're using the body shape of the Caprice bass they had out for a while