Why become a member? ×

What are Mesa Powerhouse cabs valued at these days?

ashevans09

Essentially the title really, considering parting ways with my Mesa 2x10 to move towards a 6x10 but really have no idea of where to value it, and if it's fairly low (the Powerhouses over the years seem to vary a lot in price) then I'll more than likely hold on to it and maybe go looking for another Mesa 2x10 or 4x10 to make an equivalent to a bigger cab.

Any ideas or insights greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Very difficult to say. The values are all over the place depending on how old the cabs are and the condition. I have seen the 2x12 and 4x10s go for £500-£700 depending on condition. I would think that the 1x15 and 2x10s would be worth slightly less in the £300-£500 bracket. 

You actually are more likely to get a better deal on the bigger cabinets on account that they are so damn heavy that demand for them is very low, so sometimes you can get one of the 2x15 or 6x10 or Powerhouse 1000 cabs for £400-£600 (though usually they go for more). This is a great deal considering new they were in the £1500-£2000 bracket when new. However, once you try to lift them into the car you realise why people were willing to sell them for much less. I got a mint condition 2009 ish Powerhouse 6x10 on this basis. 

I would probably recommend just getting another 2x10. It should give you all the on stage volume you ever need. I love my 6x10 but it is heavier than most 8x10s and is overkill for nearly every gig. The sound though is frankly incredible and for how little I paid for it and how expensive it would be to courier there is no way I would ever sell it.

I have been trying to sell my last PH cab, 1x15 on and off for about 4 years  with little interest so it's still at home looking unloved. At the moment i plan to donate it to my local council's music service who give music lessons to youngsters, but they are moving location at the moment so will talk to them again soon. If it's not suitable i may try to part ex it at a local shop for some other gear.