Why become a member? ×

Split Ps w/ Tele headstock

SonnyBassPlayer

Goodday all,

I was wondering if there was already a thread dedicated to such hybrid basses and I found nothing, so I thought about starting a discussion.

I own a Fender replacement tele/51 bass neck that was sitting on a Classc Vibe Squier body; I found an Italian relic split-model body and decided to try making them fit, since I really enjoyed the Fender neck but not quite much the tone of the overall bass.
Being the body I found used and off-brand I decided to butcher that and keep the neck original, slapped a Fender re'62 pickup on the body and filled the missing parts with leftovers from past years coming un with this:
771753324_WhatsAppImage2022-04-21at14_11_23.thumb.jpeg.7eeb0f1b2ccfbed465c5fb28a90715c2.jpeg

The relic laquer body feels greats and incredibly resonant, the neck is and always has been simply amazing, the pickups are the same I've been using the last 12 years on my main bass and I love them.. This thing turned out to be a killer instrument and I look forward to make the body way more reliced with some real life playing.

What's your take on this combo? Has anyone got anything similar?

• Like 7

I'd love to own the roadworn version of the Fender Mike Dirnt bass, in the same colour scheme as your example above. I've played the rosewood fretboard version and really rated it. The maple board would be my choice though. I love the combination! Of course, Billy Sheehan's own "The Wife" bass is a 70's precision with a '68 "telebass" neck on it. 

Hmm, maybe my next, next DIY build should be a P with a tele neck! - But I've another bass to put together first when I have the spare pennies. 

• Like 3

Here’s one I made earlier, this came to me as kit of parts taken in a trade for a guitar amp on another forum.

Warmoth painted body and bakelight scratch plate, Bareknuckle 58 P pickup and ready made loom, with a Korean Squier neck as the original owner was running out of cash.  
    My original plan was to try and source a nice fretless neck, but in the meantime I thought a tele style headstock would be a good look, so out came the jigsaw and rattlecan, my search for another neck became sidetracked when I bought a mid seventies fretless P instead, but that’s another story. The Korean neck had a nice piece of rosewood for the fretboard and with a bit of refinishing it plays perfectly and I’ve used the completed bass at several rehearsal sessions and would happily gig with it.1C3BC40E-2069-4017-B19D-B4438286FCCA.thumb.jpeg.fabe963e423a15cdfde9d13630109ce2.jpeg 

• Like 3

After doing the Jazz Bitsa, I'm thinking of going back to the P Bitsa and Tele-ing its head... just to make an increase to the difference in appearance...796000812_Felstead_PBass_resized.thumb.jpg.5b1d2f6da705985ba11bcc597a065d2c.jpg

might need a very slightly wider 'long bump' for a little wood under the string tree...

H.thumb.jpg.b8e4e71492bc0d88ce8317cf809844ee.jpgsame style string tree as @Cuzzie

Got some spare decals...

Yay or Nay?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

After doing the Jazz Bitsa, I'm thinking of going back to the P Bitsa and Tele-ing its head... just to make an increase to the difference in appearance...796000812_Felstead_PBass_resized.thumb.jpg.5b1d2f6da705985ba11bcc597a065d2c.jpg

might need a very slightly wider 'long bump' for a little wood under the string tree...

H.thumb.jpg.b8e4e71492bc0d88ce8317cf809844ee.jpgsame style string tree as @Cuzzie

Got some spare decals...

Yay or Nay?

do it!

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Got some spare decals...

Yay or Nay?

Yay!

joe Dartish!