Why become a member? ×

In stock not being in stock

Jakester

10 hours ago, Jakester said:

It must be great being so amazing that you never make a mistake, eh? Thanks for coming down off your pedestal to let the rest of us know how great you are though. 

In the grand scheme of things it isn't life or death. It isn't even a particularly expensive item. I am less irritated by this particular occurrence as I am with the general trend of retailers (and in the main it seems to be music retailers) to advertise stuff as 'in stock' when it isn't. 

Yep, that's how it should be. Anything else is just 'bait and switch' and poor customer service. 

You didn't make a mistake though?

Unfortunately, shopping nowadays especially online is often based simply on being the cheapest priced, so companies will do anything to cut costs. 95% of the time it works out for you and me as a consumer, sometimes things like this happen though.

I purchased a laser level using click and collect from my local B&Q that was showing 3 in store. 

I converted some points I had to B&Q vouchers. 

An hour later I received an email saying my order had been cancelled as the item wasn't in stock and I would be refunded in the next 14 days. It was a Sunday, their call centre wasn't open etc etc.

So I ordered the item from another B&Q near where I work. And promptly got stuck at work the next day...

Eventually got to pick it up on the Wednesday morning. The lady handed me a Tri square... 🤯

Her error, the higher value click and collect items weren't left in the cardboard box right next to the front door. 😁

Anyway, the job I was going to do on the Sunday afternoon was finished on the Wednesday night on time for the concrete to set before Easter weekend sun.

Still waiting for my refund...

Last week I had a pair of £120 walking boots split at the heel after using them for about 4 hours. No receipt or box, so I traipsed into Go Outdoors and wasn’t hopeful…

The first person I saw (under 20) grabbed a new pair, took me to the counter and introduced me to to the manager (under 25) who checked my details, looked me in the eyes and apologised and swapped them. 

Organisational culture and individual responsibility is important. Sometimes a good honest apology works wonders.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TimR said:

I purchased a laser level using click and collect from my local B&Q that was showing 3 in store. 

I converted some points I had to B&Q vouchers. 

An hour later I received an email saying my order had been cancelled as the item wasn't in stock and I would be refunded in the next 14 days. It was a Sunday, their call centre wasn't open etc etc.

So I ordered the item from another B&Q near where I work. And promptly got stuck at work the next day...

Eventually got to pick it up on the Wednesday morning. The lady handed me a Tri square... 🤯

Her error, the higher value click and collect items weren't left in the cardboard box right next to the front door. 😁

Anyway, the job I was going to do on the Sunday afternoon was finished on the Wednesday night on time for the concrete to set before Easter weekend sun.

Still waiting for my refund...

Was recently after some DIY equipment. Shopping around it became apparent that B&Q are fearfully expensive - it was cheaper by some £££'s to buy the items from Wickes online and have them delivered than it was to buy them from B&Q over the counter.

And they were actually in stock!

Edited by Bassfinger

48 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Was recently after some DIY equipment. Shopping around it became apparent that B&Q are fearfully expensive - it was cheaper by some £££'s to buy the items from Wickes online and have them delivered than it was to buy them from B&Q over the counter.

And they were actually in stock!

Yes. The cement and ballast was from Wickes and delivered next day. 

Wickes don't sell the level I was after and Screwfix were also out of stock at my local shop and strangely no option for delivery. 

I thought I could get it same day on my way home from my morning activity but just meant I worked on something else instead. 

On 26/04/2022 at 14:52, Jakester said:

Sorry in advance, rant incoming. 

Why to shops say items are in stock, when they aren't in stock?

I ordered something from a well-known UK musical instrument supplier (probably not who you're thinking of though!) last week. The item I ordered was showing as "in stock" on their webpage. 

I ordered specifically from them because it was marked as "in stock" as I needed it for this coming weekend. Everywhere else had it marked 'to order' or 'back ordered'. 

It has been five days since I placed the order, so I've just given them a call just to check it will arrive in time. 

"Oh, it's been delayed coming from our supplier", was the answer. "But your website said you had it 'in stock'?' queried I. 

"Well, when it arrives with us from our supplier we will have it in stock, won't we?" came the response. 

"But that doesn't mean it was in stock with you when I placed my order on the basis of it saying 'in stock' on your website, does it?" quoth I.

"But it will be when it arrives with us, won't it?" was the further retort. 

I mean? Whut? If it is not physically in their possession pending delivery, it is not "in stock". It is "on order" or "awaiting delivery" or "backordered". Even more clearly, it is a product which can be 'ordered on request'. 

It's now too late to get from anywhere else in time so I have to hope it will arrive with them in time to be sent to me. 

This sort of thing really boils my fosters.

IT IS NOT 'IN STOCK' IF YOU HAVE TO ORDER IT FOR THE CUSTOMER!!

THE FACT YOU CAN GET IT SUPPOSEDLY WITHIN A DAY DOES NOT MAKE IT 'IN STOCK'.

IT IS DEFINITELY NOT IN STOCK IF THE SHIPMENT IS DELAYED FROM YOUR SUPPLIER!!!

😡

I have no problem with retailers not holding stock and ordering on request. In fact, it seems sensible to me. But saying you are in possession of an item when you are not I find really annoying. It seems to be very much particular to the music industry, too. 

And breathe....

Completely agree - same thing happened to me. I was going with that company even though they weren't the cheapest, I needed the items ASAP. Very frustrating!

Just a follow up on my strings order this week.

Ordered 2 sets, got an email after paying saying only one in stock other in few days. They sent one set on Mon and got them Tues £5 postage.

2nd set posted yesterday and due today with an additional £5 postage.

Still quite a quick turnaround on the 2nd set and if i'd known they would arrive today i would have held off with the original set and saved £5 postage.

OR if they had told me at the oredring stage i would just have gone elsewhere for both sets. As it turned out £10 for postage meant i was paying a good bit more than other suppliers.

Wont make that mistake again.

I needed one set for tomorrows gig hence the urgency.

Dave

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just a follow up on my strings order this week.

Ordered 2 sets, got an email after paying saying only one in stock other in few days. They sent one set on Mon and got them Tues £5 postage.

2nd set posted yesterday and due today with an additional £5 postage.

Still quite a quick turnaround on the 2nd set and if i'd known they would arrive today i would have held off with the original set and saved £5 postage.

OR if they had told me at the oredring stage i would just have gone elsewhere for both sets. As it turned out £10 for postage meant i was paying a good bit more than other suppliers.

Wont make that mistake again.

I needed one set for tomorrows gig hence the urgency.

Dave

As it’s their mistake surely they will cover the extra postage? And a fiver for a set of strings seems steep anyway. I use stringsdirect, the prices are great and postage is only £1.99 or free over £30.

Edited by T-Bay

3 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

As it’s their mistake surely they will cover the extra postage? And a fiver for a set of strings seems steep anyway. I use stringsdirect, the prices are great and postage is only £1.99 or free over £30.

I did look at Strings Direct but they were approx £5 / set more than GAK and having used GAK many times before and i always buy more than one set so usually works out cheaper in long run.

Have to say i've used Bass Direct quite a few times and they are usually pretty good.

On occasion Strings Direct weren't showing my usual strings EXL190's hence looking around for other suppliers.

I used to go between Strings Direct and String Busters but not sure the latter is still going these days.

Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I did look at Strings Direct but they were approx £5 / set more than GAK and having used GAK many times before and i always buy more than one set so usually works out cheaper in long run.

Have to say i've used Bass Direct quite a few times and they are usually pretty good.

On occasion Strings Direct weren't showing my usual strings EXL190's hence looking around for other suppliers.

I used to go between Strings Direct and String Busters but not sure the latter is still going these days.

Dave

I think strings direct will price match if you call them. GAK are usually pretty reliable to be fair so maybe a genuine mistake on this occasion, I still think they should cover the extra postage though.

I've had a few annoyances like that, but I think the worst was when I called a shop to check that something was in stock, explained that I'd be travelling a fair distance to pick it up so really wanted to know that it was there and in good condition before setting off and was duly assured that it was both and would even be held for me until the end of the day. Given the theme of the thread... I made the journey and arrived to find that the stock check and reservation had, despite taking a while on hold, both been on computer only and the item wasn't actually there at all. I got a half-hearted 'sorry about that' as the bloke turned away and I was left standing at the counter like a lemon. Thankfully he didn't try to tell me that it would be in stock if they got another one in! 🙂 Unsurprisingly they're no longer trading.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I've had a few annoyances like that, but I think the worst was when I called a shop to check that something was in stock, explained that I'd be travelling a fair distance to pick it up so really wanted to know that it was there and in good condition before setting off and was duly assured that it was both and would even be held for me until the end of the day. Given the theme of the thread... I made the journey and arrived to find that the stock check and reservation had, despite taking a while on hold, both been on computer only and the item wasn't actually there at all. I got a half-hearted 'sorry about that' as the bloke turned away and I was left standing at the counter like a lemon. Thankfully he didn't try to tell me that it would be in stock if they got another one in! 🙂 Unsurprisingly they're no longer trading.

OUCH now that's even worse IMO.

Dave

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

It has arrived, so no harm done I suppose. Still blooky annoying though!

After all that, what was the item you purchased/ordered*? New (insert appropriate item here) Day.

*And who were the outlet that a) are guilty of misrepresentation, b) rude.

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

After all that, what was the item you purchased/ordered*? New (insert appropriate item here) Day.

*And who were the outlet that a) are guilty of misrepresentation, b) rude.

A double bass endpin thingy - https://wolfproducts.com/products/super-end-pin/224/79/super-end-pin.html, and it was Caswell's.

Won't be using them again. 

• Thanks 2

I've had something like it this week with photography chemistry. I wanted to try a particular developer. Where I buy most of my darkroom stuff was showing it as 'out of stock'. I could have ordered through Amazon, but they're very expensive for this stuff. I chose a well-known photography shop, but not one of the box box shifters. It was 'in stock' on their system, so I ordered it on 11th April...

I e-mailed last week chasing where it was, no reply. Tried to ring them Saturday - 'mail order' not staffed at weekends... Rang Monday. It's out-of-stock he said. I said your web site said it was 'in stock'. Oh, it might have been when you ordered it, but by time of order fulfilment, it may have been out-of-stock... No, that means it was out-of-stock, or, you don't update your stock levels as you sell through the day...

Tying online and shop orders to stock levels on the web site is basic e-commerce these days. What I was told is either incompetence or lies.

No known date for stock, so I've gone with an alternative. A complaint will be winging its way in due course as I won't accept this rubbish anymore. Companies need telling and customers should vote with feet and wallets and take business elsewhere.  

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you think having to wait a couple of weeks for guitar strings is bad, step into my world. 

I was quoted 12 week lead time for some equipment for work at the beginning of 2021. 74 weeks later and I'm still waiting. I hope it's the right one when it arrives. 

• Sad 2