Why become a member? ×

In stock not being in stock

Jakester

Sorry in advance, rant incoming. 

Why to shops say items are in stock, when they aren't in stock?

I ordered something from a well-known UK musical instrument supplier (probably not who you're thinking of though!) last week. The item I ordered was showing as "in stock" on their webpage. 

I ordered specifically from them because it was marked as "in stock" as I needed it for this coming weekend. Everywhere else had it marked 'to order' or 'back ordered'. 

It has been five days since I placed the order, so I've just given them a call just to check it will arrive in time. 

"Oh, it's been delayed coming from our supplier", was the answer. "But your website said you had it 'in stock'?' queried I. 

"Well, when it arrives with us from our supplier we will have it in stock, won't we?" came the response. 

"But that doesn't mean it was in stock with you when I placed my order on the basis of it saying 'in stock' on your website, does it?" quoth I.

"But it will be when it arrives with us, won't it?" was the further retort. 

I mean? Whut? If it is not physically in their possession pending delivery, it is not "in stock". It is "on order" or "awaiting delivery" or "backordered". Even more clearly, it is a product which can be 'ordered on request'. 

It's now too late to get from anywhere else in time so I have to hope it will arrive with them in time to be sent to me. 

This sort of thing really boils my fosters.

IT IS NOT 'IN STOCK' IF YOU HAVE TO ORDER IT FOR THE CUSTOMER!!

THE FACT YOU CAN GET IT SUPPOSEDLY WITHIN A DAY DOES NOT MAKE IT 'IN STOCK'.

IT IS DEFINITELY NOT IN STOCK IF THE SHIPMENT IS DELAYED FROM YOUR SUPPLIER!!!

😡

I have no problem with retailers not holding stock and ordering on request. In fact, it seems sensible to me. But saying you are in possession of an item when you are not I find really annoying. It seems to be very much particular to the music industry, too. 

And breathe....

• Like 9

Just now, Happy Jack said:

I believe that what you are referring to is known as "Supply Chain Difficulties". You have clearly ordered something dependent on non-existent microchips from a Covid-affected factory in China through a distributor in Kyiv.

If it included microchips I'd understand, but it doesn't! 

"in stock" when I ordered a Squire Jazz online (and a very well known shop) meant it was in Sweden and took 5 weeks to arrive! 

However, one of the machine heads had snapped off and they replaced all 4 with genuine Fender ones, so they made up for it. 

But totally agree with you. In stock should mean they can see it... I feel your frustration 

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

If it included microchips I'd understand, but it doesn't! 

It’s just a scam to get your money before anyone else gets it. 

Ive seen this a a few times. No one has it, but they are playing on the fact that if they have your money you probably wont go elsewhere. This sort of practice is exactly why i do, even if the delay is slightly longer, and i let them know why im getting my money back. 

There is nothing to ‘understand’ if it says in stock. That should in no way mean ‘delayed’ for any reason IMO. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Buddster said:

"in stock" when I ordered a Squire Jazz online (and a very well known shop) meant it was in Sweden and took 5 weeks to arrive! 

At the risk of looking a silly billy and making a joke off my own post, maybe "in stock" ment 'in Stockholm '....... 🙄

Coat on and Taxi ordered... 🚕

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Jakester said:

Sorry in advance, rant incoming. 

Why to shops say items are in stock, when they aren't in stock?

I ordered something from a well-known UK musical instrument supplier (probably not who you're thinking of though!) last week. The item I ordered was showing as "in stock" on their webpage. 

I ordered specifically from them because it was marked as "in stock" as I needed it for this coming weekend. Everywhere else had it marked 'to order' or 'back ordered'. 

It has been five days since I placed the order, so I've just given them a call just to check it will arrive in time. 

"Oh, it's been delayed coming from our supplier", was the answer. "But your website said you had it 'in stock'?' queried I. 

"Well, when it arrives with us from our supplier we will have it in stock, won't we?" came the response. 

"But that doesn't mean it was in stock with you when I placed my order on the basis of it saying 'in stock' on your website, does it?" quoth I.

"But it will be when it arrives with us, won't it?" was the further retort. 

I mean? Whut? If it is not physically in their possession pending delivery, it is not "in stock". It is "on order" or "awaiting delivery" or "backordered". Even more clearly, it is a product which can be 'ordered on request'. 

It's now too late to get from anywhere else in time so I have to hope it will arrive with them in time to be sent to me. 

This sort of thing really boils my fosters.

IT IS NOT 'IN STOCK' IF YOU HAVE TO ORDER IT FOR THE CUSTOMER!!

THE FACT YOU CAN GET IT SUPPOSEDLY WITHIN A DAY DOES NOT MAKE IT 'IN STOCK'.

IT IS DEFINITELY NOT IN STOCK IF THE SHIPMENT IS DELAYED FROM YOUR SUPPLIER!!!

😡

I have no problem with retailers not holding stock and ordering on request. In fact, it seems sensible to me. But saying you are in possession of an item when you are not I find really annoying. It seems to be very much particular to the music industry, too. 

And breathe....

That sarcastic attitude would have been all I needed to cancel the order. What an absolute tool. 😡

Name & shame.

• Like 6

Aye, a scam of sorts and completely avoidable.

A shop in Norway fight this by using a longer list of statuses.

IMS, with my attempt at remembering my understanding of it:
"in stock" really means that;
"in remote stock" - still under their software control, but may take time;
"available" - they can see it's in stock somewhere but can't claim the item immediately through their software;

"can be ordered" - it's marked as available from the supplier, but their software can't see the actual stock.

Sounds sound to me.

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Was the guy in the shop being deliberately obtuse, or does he really think not having the item in their possession counts as "in stock"?

Obtuse or crafty?  Either way I would have my money back on the basis of misrepresentation.

Unfortunately, and I'm well aware I have my grumpy old man hat on, I feel that if youngsters have grown up with this sort of lies and BS approach, then they see it as normal and even think they're telling 'the truth' when spouting it. 

Language evolves but too many just make up their own meaning for the words they use. 

Could the OP try not paying but claim it's paid for?

Given that it will be when he finally chooses to hand some funds over. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

+1 on the name and shame, I am a generally chilled out sort but would have exploded down the phone if they came out with that crap.

I’ll wait for it to arrive first. That said, they’re not a mainstream retailer so not sure what difference it’ll make anyway. 

In Stock with the supplier ??

I'm with you on this. If it says In Stock it should be on their shelf waiting to be posted to you.

I look at Andertons site quite a lot and they have things marked as "In stock", "Out of Stock" or "Available to order" once you click on an item to order it tells you approx how long the wait will be. I like their system. 

I ordered 2 sets of strings from a large store (not Andertons) on Mon for next day delivery. I got an email  saying they only had one in stock but the other set would be with them in a few days. I asked them to send the one set they had as i needed them for Fri gig. My issue now is it cost £5 to deliver and they'll now charge me another £5 for the 2nd set even tho it was one order and no mention on the site that they only had one in stock. That annoys the hell out of me too. If i had known it was going to cost me £10 for postage in total i would have bought the 2 sets elsewhere and would have been cheaper;

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jakester said:

I’ll wait for it to arrive first. That said, they’re not a mainstream retailer so not sure what difference it’ll make anyway. 

...........and that's the river. If you're angry, but not sufficiently (or you want/need it enough) to actually cancel the order and deny them your money, then they've "won", at least this one sale. Without naming and shaming, there's no negative impact on the company (and even with, its probably marginal). Personally I'd try to never put myself in a position I "need" something that much that customer service below my expectation will be tolerated, simply to obtain the item.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maude said:

Unfortunately, and I'm well aware I have my grumpy old man hat on, I feel that if youngsters have grown up with this sort of lies and BS approach, then they see it as normal and even think they're telling 'the truth' when spouting it. 

Language evolves but too many just make up their own meaning for the words they use. 

Could the OP try not paying but claim it's paid for?

Given that it will be when he finally chooses to hand some funds over. 

If youngsters have grown up with it, the fault lies with the generation raising them. In this instance, age is less of a factor than attitude. I’d also suggest the guy in the end of the phone is the one enacting the duplicitous scam from the owner(s) - themselves likely to be older people.

So feel sorry for the employee, blame the boss!

Hope the OP gets the item. Let us know what it is and perhaps one of us can lend it to you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

...........and that's the river. If you're angry, but not sufficiently (or you want/need it enough) to actually cancel the order and deny them your money, then they've "won", at least this one sale. Without naming and shaming, there's no negative impact on the company (and even with, its probably marginal). Personally I'd try to never put myself in a position I "need" something that much that customer service below my expectation will be tolerated, simply to obtain the item.

It must be great being so amazing that you never make a mistake, eh? Thanks for coming down off your pedestal to let the rest of us know how great you are though. 

In the grand scheme of things it isn't life or death. It isn't even a particularly expensive item. I am less irritated by this particular occurrence as I am with the general trend of retailers (and in the main it seems to be music retailers) to advertise stuff as 'in stock' when it isn't. 

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I look at Andertons site quite a lot and they have things marked as "In stock", "Out of Stock" or "Available to order" once you click on an item to order it tells you approx how long the wait will be. I like their system. 

Yep, that's how it should be. Anything else is just 'bait and switch' and poor customer service. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

If youngsters have grown up with it, the fault lies with the generation raising them. In this instance, age is less of a factor than attitude. I’d also suggest the guy in the end of the phone is the one enacting the duplicitous scam from the owner(s) - themselves likely to be older people.

So feel sorry for the employee, blame the boss!

Hope the OP gets the item. Let us know what it is and perhaps one of us can lend it to you.

Maybe I didn't word it well but that's what I meant. 

The rot starting creeping in a long time ago and is now seen as the norm.

To be fair, some years ago I worked for a 'well-known' Hi-Fi retailer that simply did this as part of its standard practice. It was always inwardly mortifying every time I had to answer the phone and knowingly lie about availability. That (and the fact the commission scheme essentially promoted dishonesty) is why I left in the end. I'm sure its all changed these days though.

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

To be fair, some years ago I worked for a 'well-known' Hi-Fi retailer that simply did this as part of its standard practice. It was always inwardly mortifying every time I had to answer the phone and knowingly lie about availability. That (and the fact the commission scheme essentially promoted dishonesty) is why I left in the end. I'm sure its all changed these days though.

In the early days of online shopping there was a London store that did Pro-Audio/Keys that was bad for that. They'd have stuff at ridic deals and you'd call them up, they'd take your coin, and then try source it. For the life of me I can't recall the name!!

Addition: and that shop, too, worked on commission only. Or a very low basic + commission.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

Had this from G4M when ordering a rack bag at the end of last year, showed as in stock so clicked away, got an email a couple of days later telling me it would be delivered sometime in March. Actually ended up coming a bit earlier than that but still, not on really is it?

If it wasn't the cheapest option by a decent amount I'd have cancelled on principle but being a tightwad always wins out I'm afraid.

• Sad 1