Why become a member? ×

Schecter P-4 Exotic reviews?

MrDinsdale

Well it's been a rollercoaster but it's here and I love it. Needs some slight adjustments to action and intonation etc but nothing too substantial.

Sounds fantastic though and looks great.

It feels odd transitioning to 4 string but I'm liking it, certainly a better fit for stuff I'm wanting to do.

It sounds incredible through the GK Fusion S and Barefaced two10, lots of tone to play with. Happy customer!

PXL_20220511_104431791.thumb.jpg.f0e1d24b5def89059166bd2ff0a712d3.jpg

• Like 5

Well I love this bass, all the punch I expected from a p with lots of tonal options from the preamp. It sounds much bigger than expected. The look is everything I hoped it would be.

I do however have 2 issues. 1st is that the nut rattles a lot with the stock strings 105-40 Ernie Ball I think? Here's a sample - https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE28jquAUkkAAzvr7

2nd, which is so incredibly minor I think it highlights just how great everything else is, but this jack plate is such a poor fit for the body shape, a little inset one would've been so much cleaner.

I've emailed the shop about the first as that's not something that could've happened in transit. Easy fix with a little veneer shim but shouldn't really have to do that on a £900 bass. Perils of online shoping I guess!

My nut is perfect, so there must be slight variance at factory. The stock strings are Ernie Ball 2849 105-45. I generally thought my jack socket was fine, I actually thought it looks good. I will check my P4 jack socket when I practice tomorrow. Hopefully the shop will sort the nut for you. 

The only thing I will be doing is a setup to my preferences. Straighter neck, lower action, check intonation, and I think the strings sit a bit high in the nut, so I might order some nut files and sort that.

Yeah if I get any freebies it'd be appreciated to offset having to fix it but it's not the end f the world. I certainly wouldn't send it back.

The stock strings felt very light to me, I was convinced they'd strung it with 35-95 or something. Measured with calipers and definitely 45-105 though. Think the DR strings are just way higher tension.

I'm being incredibly picky on the jack plate, I'll try grab a picture. It's just that it overlaps the rounded edge a little. I can certainly live with it though 🤣🤣🤣

Had an old original schecter cv4. (metalic rick red, white MM pick guard, duncan designed pups) Passed it on too cheap, too a struggling bassist after i got a result on my 1st german thumb for 480. 

Turned out them old schecter,s were far better basses than my thumb. I,ve hunted that thing for 10 years 😂. I d give 1000 for that bass right now 😂😂😂

These look great tbf. Fingers crossed for a pj

The neck is my favourite bit, feels so smooth.

I was always a huge Warwick fan, never owned one until recently when I got a 5 corvette. The neck is so much chunkier than I remembered. I still love it but I've realised they're not the ultimate bass I'd always built them up to be.

A Warwick thumb with this neck profile would be pretty killer though!

Found I couldn't quite get the action low  so had to pop a little shim in. While I was there I popped off the pickguard to investigate incase anyone's interested.

Not quite sure what the switches on the preamp do. On my 3 band emg it controls mid frequency I think. Not the neatest cavity I've ever seen but it'll do.

PXL_20220518_081359244.thumb.jpg.3cf4906334e2126573e0563f89f3eff8.jpgPXL_20220518_081620974_MP.thumb.jpg.ce304952df98aeac017969821b2e4d4f.jpgPXL_20220518_081411717.thumb.jpg.e79255711ea7468d31eec97b00576244.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I bought one of these recently for £650 used, still had the plastic on the pickguard. Best damn P bass I have played in years! Love the neck, its light, it sounds amazing. 

My only negative comment is that its treble or brightness/presence is not as robust as it could be (it has emg pickups). Possibly the pick ups? It has new strings. My new CV 60 Squire slams this bass in relation to presence (in that category). 

BUT this is a superb instrument, it has more depth and punch and the wood -- it just feels right as soon as you pick it up. Indonesia is making some great gear! I am now considering the Schecter Model T, or the SIxx Schecter Jazz 4 as much as having a "sixx" branded instrument would bug me. Any experience with these other Schecters folks?

50 minutes ago, Jamison said:

I bought one of these recently for £650 used, still had the plastic on the pickguard. Best damn P bass I have played in years! Love the neck, its light, it sounds amazing. 

My only negative comment is that its treble or brightness/presence is not as robust as it could be (it has emg pickups). Possibly the pick ups? It has new strings. My new CV 60 Squire slams this bass in relation to presence (in that category). 

BUT this is a superb instrument, it has more depth and punch and the wood -- it just feels right as soon as you pick it up. Indonesia is making some great gear! I am now considering the Schecter Model T, or the SIxx Schecter Jazz 4 as much as having a "sixx" branded instrument would bug me. Any experience with these other Schecters folks?

Have you tried tweaking the treble frequency? There are two dip switches that let you tweak how it behaves that might give you a little extra mileage.

Personally as great as the EMGs look with the brushed metal finish I prefer the sound of Dimarzio model p with the Stellartone.

My biggest discovery was that I just don’t think the P bass is right for me. I much prefer the sound of PJ or Jazz. Really tempted to pop an MM style Turner multicoil in the bridge, or a Dimarzio relentless PJ. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Have you tried tweaking the treble frequency? There are two dip switches that let you tweak how it behaves that might give you a little extra mileage.

Personally as great as the EMGs look with the brushed metal finish I prefer the sound of Dimarzio model p with the Stellartone.

My biggest discovery was that I just don’t think the P bass is right for me. I much prefer the sound of PJ or Jazz. Really tempted to pop an MM style Turner multicoil in the bridge, or a Dimarzio relentless PJ. 

Oh I can adjust the treble on my head or pedals are rectify the issue on the spot but the treble/presence knob on the actual bass isnt as robust as I would prefer. It (schecter exotic p 4) has three controls, vol/bass/treble) .. could be a little more crisp thats all

jazz basses are gr8! I have a aerodyne and love it to death! I think the punch of p and the neck width of P is more my domain (monster hands):0) but awesome you know your preference. I have 11 basses and its getting hard to justify to the wife

2 hours ago, mrbacco said:

the neck heel looks so large in the video compared to other necks? Is it just camera lens? 

It’s a standard P neck width to my knowledge. Definitely a pretty wide angle lens there, certainly warped. 

• Thanks 1