Why become a member? ×

Schecter P-4 Exotic reviews?

MrDinsdale

Anyone got one of the Schecter p-4 exotic basses or have any experience?

This thing looks like it's my dream p-bass in terms of both aesthetics and sound from what little I've found on it. Just wondering if anyone can add any more light?

No where stocks it locally but can order in so I could always buy it and return it if I don't like it but on paper everything looks awesome.

SCH2927.thumb.jpg.3cefce8ca900684c022986d3cd01d47c.jpg

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Dood said:

My mate Cici has just reviewed one:

That review is the only one I've come across which seems crazy, funny because theres also a review of the Sire P5 which caught my attention too. Instantly subscribed to the channel! I had a little chat with Cici in the comments and seems like a really solid bass. The neck loves beautiful!

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any additional views on it, perhaps has had it for a while etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

That review is the only one I've come across which seems crazy, funny because theres also a review of the Sire P5 which caught my attention too. Instantly subscribed to the channel! I had a little chat with Cici in the comments and seems like a really solid bass. The neck loves beautiful!

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any additional views on it, perhaps has had it for a while etc.

I've not reviewed it yet either! I do have three Cort basses here I am shooting video for, they'll be live in coming weeks I hope, then, maybe I should track down Schecter's distribution for a word! 

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I think it’s safe to say that Cici quite likes that bass!

Great review and nice to see such an enthusiastic viewpoint of an instrument.

Absolutely agree! Enthusiasm for all things bass rocks my world!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think the one thing that makes me a little uneasy is how drastically the price would drop if I did decide I didn't enjoy it and sold it on compared to some other brands. I could get a 2nd hand USA/MIJ p-bass for the same price and sell it on without loosing a penny. That price puts it inline with some heavy hitters.

That being said I doubt I'd want to sell it on if it plays as good as it looks.

• Like 1

Yeah it's quite a departure from classic p-basses.

I'm a huge fan of slim necks and I love active but I've been playing 5 string for so long now I'm gonna need some adjustment.

I've seen a great deal on a Yamaha BB734a that tick a lot of boxes even if it's nowhere near as pretty as the Schecter or have the slim profile but it's a start. At least I can throw the Yamaha around without worrying too much, I'd be to nervous about dinging the Schecter.

On 26/04/2022 at 13:51, MrDinsdale said:

I haven't tried that bass but I did buy a Schecter Ultra Bass without ever trying one and it's brilliant, perfect neck, great build quality and the sound sits perfectly in both the bands I'm in. I'd definitely recommend Schecter... I didn't mind the several month wait either as it was a special run. Try one.

Not tried this particular bass, but the Sandberg VS is a similar beast and I like those a lot for much the same reasons as Cici was saying.  Only major difference is the Delano/Glcok setup on the Sandberg and that most seem to be really light these days.  My VS was less that 8lbs.

• Like 1

I bought it. I arranged with Andertons to have ago on one today. Just finished noodling it. The tones you can get out of the bass is very impressive, can't believe this is a P bass! The neck is great. Surprisingly I get on fine with the 16" radius fret board. The build quality isn't quite up there with Rickenbacker, but then I wouldn't expect it to be, given the price difference. I can see this becoming my favourite bass. 

schecter p-4 exotic.jpg

• Like 9

Well I was thinking about this bass and if I should opt for the BB 734a (which I can actually afford 2nd hand now) or hold until I can sell some bits and justify one of these. I think your first impression along with the other glowing reviews I've seen is enough to sell me that I do really want this bass.

I haven't seen anything else that has come with a stock set up that I wouldn't want to change either for aesthetics or for sound. This just looks perfect, I don't even mind the goofy clover style tuners. I think that slim flat neck is the thing that all the other p's are missing for me.

Thankyou for being the guinea pig on this one 🤣 Feel free to post any further thoughts or audio clips on here!

• Like 1

I'm not really a reviewer as such. But I recently wrote a song which is only at instrumental stage with no lyrics, I've previously recorded two versions one with me using the Rickenbacker, which my mate mixed. And the other version of the song using my Sterling Musicman 4hh, which I mixed. I could rerecord it with the Schecter P4 Exotic.

Edited by Triumph_Rock
  • Like 1

PS Andertons just phoned because I'd enquired earlier when they'd be able to get another in, they originally said Dec (before I found one elsewhere) but their supplier had ended up with a spare so they'll have it in next week. If anyone else is looking for one of these I'd get in touch with them, otherwise it'll probably the end of the year.

He said the interest over the last few weeks has peaked, probably because of the review Cici did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Well ended up ordering one from Peach Guitars who had literally just got one in today and had an offer on 🙌 Not sure when it'll be here but probably near the end of the week. So excited!

Great news, its a brilliant bass, your enjoy it. 

• Like 1