Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVP

prowla

So, my Ampeg SVP arrived today (2nd attempt at getting one after stumbling over the deal here, but then this one came up on ebay).

Now I've got to figure out what to plug it into - it might be the Fx return of a Markbass for the moment.

I'll probably want a 2-channel 1U power amp to fit in a rack with the SVP (and maybe a 2nd SVP if/when, to run my Ric stereo).

It'll be interesting comparing it with my other Markbass's modelling capabilities.

5 hours ago, Steve Soar said:

Hi Prowl.  I owned an SVP and used it with powered  cabs and into a power amp. 

I have a QSC power amp for sale which I used with the Ampeg.

Match made in heaven.

Cheers - I might take a look.

I have to say that my brand-o-meter would tend to lead me towards Crown, as that was the brand back in the day.

I'd be looking for A 1U unit of possible.

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Some Markbass have oddball fx loops that don't allow them to just use the power amp return.

Thanks - I'll be prepared to be disappointed on that one!

I've got a Black Line 250 and an EVO.

QSC make excellent power amps. Think about a 4U rack case like SKB. 2U power amp the bottom, SVP in the top and a ventilated 1U panel in the centre to aid in cooling flow. It's the way I went and there was no messing about searching out a decent 1U power amp.

I can recommend the crown XLS 2502 for a 2U power amp 

6506CAFC-3249-461B-8F27-E808EC2C081A.thumb.jpeg.75b0517f15b0feadd8d4be4e7ab58724.jpeg

or the Powersoft LD 2004 for a 1U 

4DED9D38-59B5-4AE5-A481-8222FF2AB7A8.thumb.jpeg.e7746d2e9a7c791fbcd2e3393a026b82.jpeg

I love the ability to change sounds easily and pick up new pre amps reasonably cheaply 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

QSC make excellent power amps. Think about a 4U rack case like SKB. 2U power amp the bottom, SVP in the top and a ventilated 1U panel in the centre to aid in cooling flow. It's the way I went and there was no messing about searching out a decent 1U power amp.

This reminds me.

Always examine which way your gear pumps the air. If not careful  one bit winds up drawing in the warmed exhaust of the other(s). An amp even sucks on its own sometimes.

It's possible to rack up a set of gear that gets hotter and hotter as you go up the rack if you get it really wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

This reminds me.

Always examine which way your gear pumps the air. If not careful  one bit winds up drawing in the warmed exhaust of the other(s). An amp even sucks on its own sometimes.

It's possible to rack up a set of gear that gets hotter and hotter as you go up the rack if you get it really wrong.

Ah yes...

I remember working in a data centre where one computer company had installed one of their machines so its airflow fed directly into the inputs of a competitor's model; whoever signed that off didn't quite get the concept of hot and cold alleys.

8 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I think it'll be a 4U case - I'd be quite partial to an SWR in there too.

8 hours ago, Bunion said:

6506CAFC-3249-461B-8F27-E808EC2C081A.thumb.jpeg.75b0517f15b0feadd8d4be4e7ab58724.jpeg

4DED9D38-59B5-4AE5-A481-8222FF2AB7A8.thumb.jpeg.e7746d2e9a7c791fbcd2e3393a026b82.jpeg

I love the ability to change sounds easily and pick up new pre amps reasonably cheaply

Curse you - now you've got me thinking about a Trace Elliot as well as an SWR !!! 🙂

2 hours ago, prowla said:

I think it'll be a 4U case - I'd be quite partial to an SWR in there too.

Curse you - now you've got me thinking about a Trace Elliot as well as an SWR !!! 🙂

The SWR has an amazing Overdrive and can also be used as a 5w practice amp on its own.I managed to get that beauty from flea bay for £200 

The Trace apparently was a close proximity to the Alembic FX1 but I’ve not played one of those yet.

I just know it’s a beautiful sound and with the “deep” switch engaged it’s bowel moving. 

Remember to take note of the input sensitivity of any preamps you purchase the SWR is low at .775v
That’s why I bought the Crown you can adjust the Sensitivity from .775v - 1.4v 

It won’t damage anything running a .775 at 1.4 on the amp but you won’t get the full power out it and will need to crank the gain and volume up which can cause distortion. 

Righty-oh; I plugged the SVP into the effects return of my Markbass Black Line 250 and it worked; I plugged in my black Ric and oh my, what a sound!

Now I need another SVP so I can run the bass stereo. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 07:23, Bunion said:

The SWR has an amazing Overdrive and can also be used as a 5w practice amp on its own.I managed to get that beauty from flea bay for £200 

The Trace apparently was a close proximity to the Alembic FX1 but I’ve not played one of those yet.

I just know it’s a beautiful sound and with the “deep” switch engaged it’s bowel moving. 

Remember to take note of the input sensitivity of any preamps you purchase the SWR is low at .775v
That’s why I bought the Crown you can adjust the Sensitivity from .775v - 1.4v 

It won’t damage anything running a .775 at 1.4 on the amp but you won’t get the full power out it and will need to crank the gain and volume up which can cause distortion. 

Since you mention input sensitivity, it is something i would like to understand. I have a crown XLS 1502 which has .775v and 1.4v on the input sensitivity and a small rack with a Synq 1K0 1u power amp with input sensitivity of 26 dB / 32 dB / 1,4 V. i use alembic F-1X preamps but no idea how to determine what setting i should use for the power amps to get the best output and S/N ratio.. Any suggestions are welcome.

On 27/04/2022 at 20:29, Bunion said:

Wow! I'm in love.

• Like 1