Why become a member? ×

Help! Sudden buzzing on frets 1-4

squire5

I wonder if anybody can shed some light?I was sitting happily playing along with some Dire Straits tonight when I thought I noticed some fretbuzz on my A string at the 1st fret.As the song progressed I noticed it getting worse.I stopped and checked,only to discover that there is pretty bad fretbuzz on all 4 strings from fret 1 to about fret 4.This has happened suddenly.Bass is a Harley Benton MB-4 SB Deluxe Series (Music Man clone)I have to say it sounds quite serious.Any idea what it could be?Thanx in advance.

Havent changed the strings at all Velarian.I only got the bass about a month ago.What worries me is that it seemed to happen suddenly,rather than over a period of time.The neck is sighting ok,no dips or bumps.I'll try the truss rod tomorrow.Thanx.

It would be worth a quick check of the relief before you adjust it by holding the E string down at the first and last frets. There should be a very slight gap at the 7th/8th frets. However, if it changed suddenly then it might be indicative of other issues. Someone with more experience may be able to comment. 

• Like 1

Update: I did the 7th/8th fret check last night and indeed there was a lot of of relief needed.I loosened the truss rod quite a bit,and eventually got rid of the fretbuzz completely,as well as being able to achieve better action.That was fine,I played for an hour or so and went to bed.This morning,the buzz is there again.Not nearly as bad,but more adjustment may be needed.My main concern is how it happened so suddenly in the first place.Sorta mid-song if you know what I mean.I think you guys are right,its a truss rod issue.I'll let it settle for a day or so and check again.Thanx for your input.