Why become a member? ×

Amps with Compession or separate Compression pedal??

Linus27

9 hours ago, Dood said:

Sadly not - the BH800 and similar heads do have Toneprint functionality. - I've a TC Nova Dynamics pedal that although brilliant, pre-dates the Toneprint technology too. I love the pedal, I just need to figure out what the in-built settings are so I can transfer them to my Spectracomp! When I asked TC Electronic, they couldn't help sadly. 

Rh750 is a nice amp :) 

I had one of those nova dynamics pedals too. it was great for processing the two outputs of my Attitude bass. The multiband algorithm was stellar, but I just couldn’t get on with the stomp algorithm.  Much like the ovnilab review, there was a distinct artefact when the signal crossed the threshold that I just couldn’t live with. Such a shame.

I think it depends what your needs are.
Assuming the compressor on the amp is a good one, not a cheap implementation (never tried the Ampeg mentioned above), the main difference between that and a (good) compressor pedal is the control you have over its parameters.
If we take the MXR M87 comp as an example, there we have the following controls:

• attack
  • release
  • ratio
  • input
  • output

basically, all the standard parameters are exposed, and this will inevitably give you a wider sonic palette. That means that you could start using the compressor not only as a "utility" pedal, but as an effect too and start experimenting with it.

On the other side though, this won't be ideal if you're looking for something quicker and simpler to use.

For this you have pedals with less parameters exposed like the Ampeg Opto Comp, that has only

• compression
  • release
  • output

that is probably more intuitive and quicker to use, but will give you less choice.
Then there are the 1-2 knobs compressors you might either find on amps or pedals.
They use presets, internal parameters the user can't see (ie attack, release, input, etc.) with a fixed value. These are not worse than anything else mentioned above, they can even be better made than the pedal alternatives. It's just that they don't leave you with much choice.

So basically, I think it's matter of what you're looking for from a compressor and probably also down to your playing. If you use different styles (fingers, pick, slap, tap, etc.) you might need more control based on the way you are playing.
My only thing about on-board compressors and more in general compressors with only 1-2 parameters exposed, is that they need to be tried before buying, because they have their unique settings that might either suit my style or not.
One last question I'd ask myself when thinking about any on-board effect is: what about the times I can't have my amp with me?

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mario_buoninfante said:

I think it depends what your needs are.
Assuming the compressor on the amp is a good one, not a cheap implementation (never tried the Ampeg mentioned above), the main difference between that and a (good) compressor pedal is the control you have over its parameters.
If we take the MXR M87 comp as an example, there we have the following controls:

• attack
  • release
  • ratio
  • input
  • output

basically, all the standard parameters are exposed, and this will inevitably give you a wider sonic palette. That means that you could start using the compressor not only as a "utility" pedal, but as an effect too and start experimenting with it.

On the other side though, this won't be ideal if you're looking for something quicker and simpler to use.

For this you have pedals with less parameters exposed like the Ampeg Opto Comp, that has only

• compression
  • release
  • output

that is probably more intuitive and quicker to use, but will give you less choice.
Then there are the 1-2 knobs compressors you might either find on amps or pedals.
They use presets, internal parameters the user can't see (ie attack, release, input, etc.) with a fixed value. These are not worse than anything else mentioned above, they can even be better made than the pedal alternatives. It's just that they don't leave you with much choice.

So basically, I think it's matter of what you're looking for from a compressor and probably also down to your playing. If you use different styles (fingers, pick, slap, tap, etc.) you might need more control based on the way you are playing.
My only thing about on-board compressors and more in general compressors with only 1-2 parameters exposed, is that they need to be tried before buying, because they have their unique settings that might either suit my style or not.
One last question I'd ask myself when thinking about any on-board effect is: what about the times I can't have my amp with me?

The Markbass Compressore adds Threshold to your list of adjustable parameters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

Input is effectively Threshold on the MXR M87.

in a way yes, but worth keeping in mind they are separate things though.
I assume (I don't know the schematics of the pedal) that they have a fixed threshold and so you use the gain to get closer to that threshold.
but having both might be useful.
think about a situation where you have a signal that's too hot and you want to move away from the threshold, with the MXR you won't be able to do that, since the threshold is fixed.
that said, I'm sure they set the threshold to a sensible value.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

I've got the Diamond BC1 and it sounds  wonderful with whatever bass I use it with. Subtle and very chunky sounding is how I would describe it. Makes your bass sound like the ones on your favourite recordings. A compressor for enhancing your tone more than for squashing it. Thoroughly recommend.

The Cali76 is superb, too. You really can't go wrong with either. The best two compressors I have tried, but I must say the Markbass Compressore sounds great in the demonstrations I have heard. The EBS Multicomp still sounds good to me, but is no longer the market leader it once was.

Although I usually use an amp with basic compression (eden wt400) I'm not really bothered much. At home it doesn't really matter to me and at a gig the soundman will virtually always compress the bass anyway.

Edited by Tdw

On 04/07/2022 at 21:21, Merton said:

Are you able to make this year’s SE Bass Bash? Would love a crash course in compression if you are able to 😀

On 04/07/2022 at 22:20, pete.young said:

Pretty please. It's been a few years since the original presentation, which opened my eyes.

51m0n's review of the Becos Stella is here:

I'm really sorry chaps, I am completely snowed for the foreseeable doing house renovations that are becoming ever more epic.