Why become a member? ×

Amps with Compession or separate Compression pedal??

Linus27

• 2 months later...

I've used an EHX Bass Preacher for a while now, mainly for acoustic numbers as it seems to help get through the jangly mush of the acoustic guitars and also seems to warm the tone up a little, makes the bass sound more intimate.  It is quite brutal at cutting the highs but for those numbers, it doesn't matter so much, I don't really use it for anything else.  And they are pretty cheap, £75-85 at the moment. I've always found EHX gear a bit hit and miss but you do get the odd gem.

Struggle to recall a single good one knob compressor that I have ever used, on a pedal or amp.

No controls, and no meters,  utter fail for me 😆

Becos Twain for 5 strings or more, the Becos Stella for 4 strings or less. They're absolutely superb.

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

Struggle to recall a single good one knob compressor that I have ever used, on a pedal or amp.

Becos Twain for 5 strings or more, the Becos Stella for 4 strings or less. They're absolutely superb.

Are you able to make this year’s SE Bass Bash? Would love a crash course in compression if you are able to 😀

2 hours ago, 51m0n said:

I thought the origin effects cali 76 was the top player. I was quite tempted to get the compact bass version

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

I have struggled to find a better solution than the spectracomp on my RH750, it just seems to work

I’ve just picked up a Spectracomp. Still getting a feel for it. Any recommendations on TonePrints?

57 minutes ago, Merton said:

Are you able to make this year’s SE Bass Bash? Would love a crash course in compression if you are able to 😀

Pretty please. It's been a few years since the original presentation, which opened my eyes.

51m0n's review of the Becos Stella is here:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I’ve just picked up a Spectracomp. Still getting a feel for it. Any recommendations on TonePrints?

Honestly, no idea, I literally just treat it as a single knob "sounds exactly like what I want it to sound like" compressor! I love getting into the weeds with semi-parametric eqs, but compression just confuses me!

7 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

Honestly, no idea, I literally just treat it as a single knob "sounds exactly like what I want it to sound like" compressor! I love getting into the weeds with semi-parametric eqs, but compression just confuses me!

It’s worth checking out. There’s basically a library of pre-made settings from tc artists that you can beam to your pedal - it’s honestly super simple and no tweaking required (unless you want to). Nathan easts compressor settings are good & muscle comp was good too.

You can beam the default Spectracomp settings that you’re using now back to the pedal if that’s what you prefer.

if you go create your own there’s a huge amount of settings you can tweak - way more than you would see on a compressor pedal.

Check out @Doodvideo

Edited by alexa3020

3 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

It’s worth checking out. There’s basically a library of pre-made settings from tc artists that you can beam to your pedal - it’s honestly super simple and no tweaking required (unless you want to). Nathan easts compressor settings are good & muscle comp was good too.

You can beam the default Spectracomp settings that you’re using now back to the pedal if that’s what you prefer.

if you go create your own there’s a huge amount of settings you can tweak - way more than you would see on a compressor pedal.

Check out @Doodvideo

That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure the TonePrint works on the RH750 :(

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Ah I see, the Spectracomp is integrated into the head on the rh series and it doesn’t look like toneprint is supported with that head. Shame, loads to play with in the TonePrint editor but if it currently does what you want it to do, then no problem anyway

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Sadly not - the BH800 and similar heads do have Toneprint functionality. - I've a TC Nova Dynamics pedal that although brilliant, pre-dates the Toneprint technology too. I love the pedal, I just need to figure out what the in-built settings are so I can transfer them to my Spectracomp! When I asked TC Electronic, they couldn't help sadly. 

Rh750 is a nice amp :) 

• Like 1

B4349FD1-BE2D-40D7-8D62-BF5A7F45D345.thumb.jpeg.68fbb18605d968e05c4456ccf0adc591.jpeg

just picked this off the fleabay for £52 I do like Dave Halls pedals never tried his compressor and of course his pedals don’t come up that often now ☹️
I’ll report back later 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

I thought I needed to use a compressor but found that it was simpler and better without 

If you’re using (and overdriving) a tube amp it will naturally compress anyway right? What tube amp are you using & is the extra weight worth it in comparison to Abm?

10 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’m doubting she uses a spectracomp on her board but I could be wrong, I think they’ve just asked people to set up profiles and I liked what that did to my output 

You doubt about built in amp or pedal compressor ?

10 minutes ago, nilorius said:
10 minutes ago, nilorius said:

You doubt about built in amp or pedal compressor ?

As I said, I doubt she uses a spectracomp on her board but I could be wrong, she probably just set up the profile for them 

Edited by Bunion