Why become a member? ×

Amps with Compession or separate Compression pedal??

Linus27

So I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my Compressor pedal but I'm also toying with the idea of getting a new amp and so, this has got me thinking, do I get an amp head that has built in Compession, for example the EBS Reidmar or Ampeg PF800 and do away with buying a separate Compressor pedal or is a separate Compressor pedal the better option. The Compressor pedal I was thinking of getting is the Cali76.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

It depends on the quality of the amp’s built in compressor, and it’s settings IMHO. Most built in compressors are single of the single knob variety with a preset ratio (often quite conservative), attack and release. If you want more control or a different flavour you will be better served by an external pedal. 

The only way to find out is to try it. 

• Like 1

I really liked the compression on my old PF500, it just seemed to “work” if that makes any sense, just set it to 9 o’clock and left it alone from then on. I’m sure the Cali will be far superior to any amps on board compression though, but I suppose it depends on how much control is needed. 

• Like 4

I had a separate compressor - a dead good aguilar one.

I was able to figure out how to use it, but the problem was, I didn't need to adjust the settings often enough to remember how to use it the next time if you see what I mean.

I'm a one-knob type of person when it comes to compression it seems, so the one in my amp will usually suffice.

• Like 3

The Cali76 compact deluxe would be the first thing I'd buy again if something happened to my pedal board.

I tried the bass one but didn't like the integration of functions under a single dial so I sent it back.

My experience with compressors on amps is they are very average 

But saying that I don’t play slap etc which I think is the main style that compression really helps 

Ive toyed with the idea of a new compressor pedal but always find a reason not to buy one as I avoid pedals mostly !

I have a lovely old ABM 500. Was thinking of upgrading to an ABM600 for the added compression, etc. Would have cost me at least another £250. Recently picked up a rather wonderful SD studio comp for next to nothing. More than happy to stick with what I’ve got now. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

I should add that I play fretless Stingray with an acoustic guitarist/singer and drummer who does a lot of percussion. So its just to tighten up my sound as well as bring balance between the high and low notes as I play a hell of a lot of melodies, lead parts and cello like runs.

56 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I should add that I play fretless Stingray with an acoustic guitarist/singer and drummer who does a lot of percussion. So its just to tighten up my sound as well as bring balance between the high and low notes as I play a hell of a lot of melodies, lead parts and cello like runs.

A separate compressor would be better than the typical amp based ones 

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

If you're playing a lot of melodic parts, you may want to investigate multi-band compression. It's more transparent than single band and high note don't get "swallowed" by the low end.  The TC Spectracomp is highly regarded for multiband and single band compression.  (To be honest, if I was in the market for a comp pedal, this is what I would buy).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

If you're playing a lot of melodic parts, you may want to investigate multi-band compression. It's more transparent than single band and high note don't get "swallowed" by the low end.  The TC Spectracomp is highly regarded for multiband and single band compression.  (To be honest, if I was in the market for a comp pedal, this is what I would buy).

As far as single pedals go, I really rate the Spectracomp and the three knob compressor, Hyper Gravity for their multiband and parallel functionality. There are very few amplifiers (even effects units) on the market that can come even close to what the Spectracomp has under the bonnet when accessing the editor software. 

That said, there's just one amplifier that does compression the way that I need and thats the Bergantino B|Amp. It offered (blendable) parallel or series compression along with it's 4 band parametric EQ, HPF and LPF filters - and custom drive circuits. It would be my recommendation every time. Sounds superb!

• Like 1

I have a Keeley Bassist that is better than most 'on amp' compressors I have tried and has been on my board for six years. Not flashy, easy as hell to use, very transparent. I haven't needed anything more than that.

I think that EBS makes one of the best 'one knob' compression circuits on an amp. The compression on my old EBS Fafner is brilliant and every EBS amp I have tried has been as good. Though this circuit is pretty much derived from their MultiComp pedal. 

I generally prefer a pedal compressor on account that it means that I always have an option to add compression even if I am using shared/provided backline at a gig.

• Like 2

In my opinion it depends whether you use effects/ signal chain, where you place your compressor?
I prefer compression at the start of the signal, to even out playing styles & give me some sustain.

If using an Octaver, I like compression before it, to even out the sound & I find I get less glitches, works really well for fretless?

Having more control over dynamics from a pedal as opposed to a control knob on an amp, gets my vote..

But then again, for the vast majority of my work, I don’t use backline anyway?

1 minute ago, Bassman68 said:

In my opinion it depends whether you use effects/ signal chain, where you place your compressor?
I prefer compression at the start of the signal, to even out playing styles & give me some sustain.

If using an Octaver, I like compression before it, to even out the sound & I find I get less glitches, works really well for fretless?

Having more control over dynamics from a pedal as opposed to a control knob on an amp, gets my vote..

But then again, for the vast majority of my work, I don’t use backline anyway?

My chain is Tuner, then Compressor, then Octave and then Chorus as the final pedal in my chain so the same as you suggest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dood said:

As far as single pedals go, I really rate the Spectracomp and the three knob compressor, Hyper Gravity for their multiband and parallel functionality. There are very few amplifiers (even effects units) on the market that can come even close to what the Spectracomp has under the bonnet when accessing the editor software. 

That said, there's just one amplifier that does compression the way that I need and thats the Bergantino B|Amp. It offered (blendable) parallel or series compression along with it's 4 band parametric EQ, HPF and LPF filters - and custom drive circuits. It would be my recommendation every time. Sounds superb!

The Spectracomp is the second pedal on my list after the Cali76. I've constantly read great things about it along with the Cali76 but its a hell of a lot cheaper so I may go for it instead.

• Like 1

I find with onboard compression, you tend to lose a bit of volume. With a pedal at least you can boost your signal.

I'm currently using a TC vintage comp - which is a copy of T Rex Comp Nova. I don't use it with My Stingray as that sound a bit compressed already (to my ears anyway), but I do like it with my passive basses.

It would be really useful if all pedal compressors came with light indicators, so you can see what's happening. I can only think of the Cali 76 (big one) and MXR Bass compressor that has this functionality.

43 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

The Spectracomp is the second pedal on my list after the Cali76. I've constantly read great things about it along with the Cali76 but its a hell of a lot cheaper so I may go for it instead.

I also really liked the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass and the Darkglass Hyper Luminal. Both very good compressors. An interesting contender is the compressor on the EBS Billy Sheehan Deluxe pedal. Another reason why I keep one, even though it's better known for being a drive pedal. A nice squishy "opto-alike" compression to fatten up the sound a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Absolutely.  If I hadn't of gone down the Helix route, I may well have gotten the B|Amp instead. It really does appear to be the quintessential bassist's bass amp.

34 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I find with onboard compression, you tend to lose a bit of volume. With a pedal at least you can boost your signal.

I'm currently using a TC vintage comp - which is a copy of T Rex Comp Nova. I don't use it with My Stingray as that sound a bit compressed already (to my ears anyway), but I do like it with my passive basses.

It would be really useful if all pedal compressors came with light indicators, so you can see what's happening. I can only think of the Cali 76 (big one) and MXR Bass compressor that has this functionality.

The Darkglass Hyper Luminal also has LED indicators as does the Empress Bass Compressor. Some have an LED that changes in brightness depending on "the amount of compression" too. I like the Trondheim Audio SkarBass which uses a three colour LED approach. 

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Absolutely.  If I hadn't of gone down the Helix route, I may well have gotten the B|Amp instead. It really does appear to be the quintessential bassist's bass amp.

The Helix and B|Amp are a wonderful pairing! I gigged with either or both many times! I've moved to the Neural DSP QuadCortex and am even planning on profiling my Bergantino cabinets in to the QC for when I won't be using backline. Technology is so much fun these days! I won't ever sell B|Amp. Maybe if I had an opportunity to get the MKII model, but really, right now, there's no need. I wouldn't mind an attitude bass eventually though!

57 minutes ago, itu said:

...mini, and the four knob Hyper Gravity...

Ahh yes, thank you! I forgot all about the four knob version! I'm actually even tempted to trade my Spectracomp and HG Mini in for the full size four knob HG! 

*I just went to TC's website for a gander... OMG! Who did the website refresh? It's Ghastly!

• Like 1

Just the one spectracomp knob to twiddle on my TCE BH250 & I'm happy with a quick & easy setup. With the 550 & 800 heads you can have 2 effects to switch between. 

I do find that a little bit of compression just thickens up the tone a bit. 

I've previously used a Roland amp with built in compression which was OK as well.  

• Like 1