Why become a member? ×

Why? oh Why?

NickA

9 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

David Gilmour's Esquire is pretty worn, although by all accounts, that wear was already on it back in the 70's when he bought it. Maybe it's the earliest example of relicing?

YTVh7oK.jpg

One of those strings is really badly bent ... you'd think he could afford to buy a new set?

• Haha 2

On 05/06/2022 at 17:05, zbd1960 said:

I saw that ad yesterday for the guitar and I just thought 'yuk'. I'll be honest, I don't see the point in 'relicing' - you get it with string instruments like violins as well, where it is described as 'antiqued'. I don't like 'antiquing' either. Natural wear and tear? Fine - my cello has had a hard life but it's about 120 years old. 

I'm not a fan of relicing either, but there's some which aren't so much relics as stolen recovered insurance write-offs.

On 05/06/2022 at 17:05, zbd1960 said:

Fine - my cello has had a hard life but it's about 120 years old. 

I have an antiqued cello.  The antiquing was done around 1900 when they made it in a French factory.  The antiquing is quite different from the real damage ( my grandad fixing it with a nail, me falling down the stairs with it in 1979 etc etc).  Still a nice instrument.

8 hours ago, NickA said:

I have an antiqued cello.  The antiquing was done around 1900 when they made it in a French factory.  The antiquing is quite different from the real damage ( my grandad fixing it with a nail, me falling down the stairs with it in 1979 etc etc).  Still a nice instrument.

I think the origin of the sunburst guitar finish was to emulate the appearance of such instruments.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 08:27, Johncee said:

I think the origin of the sunburst guitar finish was to emulate the appearance of such instruments.

I reckon you're right there.  Here's a spaniking new Jay Heide "a l'ancienne" in sunburst.  I think they overdo it, but a friend has one and I initially mistook it for a French Factory jobbie like my own ... 'till I realised there was no "real" damage.

image.png.3e0f2c0e81ed08508f2af77934fa34e8.png