Why become a member? ×

Why? oh Why?

NickA

31 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Do you think there's a template that goes over the body, and the relicker just chips off all the paint exposed by the template?

Someone's looked at the BOD and taken a screwdriver and a craft-knife to it.

Here's my MJT. Look at the ageing that's been done on this body, compared to that mess in OP.

1869583126_MJTJaco(1).thumb.jpg.62ffee0f31b96d6c5403a62e3bc9ebc8.jpg

Edited by NikNik

On 25/04/2022 at 10:16, NickA said:

"bought new in 2021 in immaculate 10/10 almost new, unplayed condition with no dings or missing finish" !!!!  

....according to bass direct.  What does a badly damaged one look like?

£3500 for a badly damaged basic jazz bass ... why?

image.thumb.png.7bcaa6b4decf76e21df7c1385fa049e1.png

image.thumb.png.7f6ae2358639978c83cad6921bc2d926.png

It's just daft.  I think its how utterly pristine the wood looks in the worn areas.  It just doesn't happen like that!

More fool anyone who chooses that is the best way to spend £3.5k.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Do you think there's a template that goes over the body, and the relicker just chips off all the paint exposed by the template?

They’ve probably found a machine that can do it. 
I decided to take influence on my jazz from the bass of doom but I prefer the clean look. Couldn’t play it because the cat was asleep.

3BA3F5C2-BE41-4164-BDB6-A8DFDC4F4EC5.thumb.jpeg.08bb8400056314d3a9ad83cf7a40bcd6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 10:16, NickA said:

"bought new in 2021 in immaculate 10/10 almost new, unplayed condition with no dings or missing finish" !!!!  

....according to bass direct.  What does a badly damaged one look like?

£3500 for a badly damaged basic jazz bass ... why?

image.thumb.png.7bcaa6b4decf76e21df7c1385fa049e1.png

kHqJWtB.jpg

They could do a lot better in my opinion. I wouldn’t criticise other people’s choices but to me Fender CS relics are unconvincing, the necks usually being less authentic than the bodies, especially the belt sander effect.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GuyR said:

They could do a lot better in my opinion. I wouldn’t criticise other people’s choices but to me Fender CS relics are unconvincing, the necks usually being less authentic than the bodies, especially the belt sander effect.

I totally agree with all you have said. There are so much better out there. But each to their own.

13 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

How often do you see the Bravewood Jaco replicas come up for sale though?

Fair point. BUT, as you know, they are SO much better. I have been through 3 Bravewoods and put them all against my 66J. They scratched exactly the same itches. If I played 4 strings I would stop right there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2022 at 22:24, OliverBlackman said:

They’ve probably found a machine that can do it. 
I decided to take influence on my jazz from the bass of doom but I prefer the clean look. Couldn’t play it because the cat was asleep.

3BA3F5C2-BE41-4164-BDB6-A8DFDC4F4EC5.thumb.jpeg.08bb8400056314d3a9ad83cf7a40bcd6.jpeg

Just needs a knob plate on it to give the full post-repair BoD look.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just needs a knob plate on it to give the full post-repair BoD look.

Thought about it at the time, but then decided to see as much of the top as possible. Still debate from time to

time whether I should have gone with dots too but this is the problem when you have to choose spec. 

• 4 weeks later...

i have one of these locked up in a room in se asia...havent seen it in years ...hope its still there(could be eaten by termites)...neck played like butter ...geddy thinks so too. i remember buying it in hong kong for top dollar ...it was literally the only ready way into fretless at the time if you were stuck in that part of the world before internet sales became a thing.

Edited by Musicman666

GuitarGuitar posted this on their Facebook yesterday. I've never seen a guitar age like this. Even famous Teles dragged around the road for years on end didn't age so harshly.

FB_IMG_1654413546299.thumb.jpg.a4df297d48e36d1129bcb789ed51b101.jpg

I think with these sort of things, they get a "more is more" mentality and end up with something that looks totally unrealistic. 

That said, I don't mind a relic job when done right. These EVH Frankie replicas are incredible guitars for the price. In particular, whatever they did to age the neck is amazing. Based on the way the grain of the wood looks, I think it must have been some sort of oil finish over the raw maple with some dark additive in the oil.

And yes, I wouldn't feel too badly about adding more dings to it, whereas I'd be gutted if I didn that to my other guitars that I keep pristine.

20220503_164415.thumb.jpg.0846017e0512ccc782e7b1601451fdaf.jpg

7 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

GuitarGuitar posted this on their Facebook yesterday. I've never seen a guitar age like this. Even famous Teles dragged around the road for years on end didn't age so harshly.

FB_IMG_1654413546299.thumb.jpg.a4df297d48e36d1129bcb789ed51b101.jpg

I think with these sort of things, they get a "more is more" mentality and end up with something that looks totally unrealistic. 

Like todays ripped jeans. Where authentic ripped jeans might have one knee out todays ones look like a pack of Rottweilers have given them the good news.

I saw that ad yesterday for the guitar and I just thought 'yuk'. I'll be honest, I don't see the point in 'relicing' - you get it with string instruments like violins as well, where it is described as 'antiqued'. I don't like 'antiquing' either. Natural wear and tear? Fine - my cello has had a hard life but it's about 120 years old. 

4 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

. . . .  I don't see the point in 'relicing' - you get it with string instruments like violins as well, where it is described as 'antiqued'. I don't like 'antiquing' either. Natural wear and tear? Fine - my cello has had a hard life but it's about 120 years old. 

They do this with furniture as well. A carpenter friend built a refectory table and then customer decided it had to look like "Oliver Cromwell's troops used it!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I saw that ad yesterday for the guitar and I just thought 'yuk'. I'll be honest, I don't see the point in 'relicing' - you get it with string instruments like violins as well, where it is described as 'antiqued'. I don't like 'antiquing' either. Natural wear and tear? Fine - my cello has had a hard life but it's about 120 years old. 

A lot of people think that their old violins/violas/cellos look how they do because of natural wear and tear, when they were actually antiqued in the first place. It's not a recent trend - it goes back to the 19th century. Not saying this applies to yours, just making a general point. 

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

They do this with furniture as well. A carpenter friend built a refectory table and then customer decided it had to look like "Oliver Cromwell's troops used it!"

Cromwell's troops would have used it for firewood.

Which, to be fair, might be why the punter needed a table...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Johncee said:

A lot of people think that their old violins/violas/cellos look how they do because of natural wear and tear, when they were actually antiqued in the first place. It's not a recent trend - it goes back to the 19th century. Not saying this applies to yours, just making a general point. 

My cello is a German workshop one - it's just had a hard life. It's had a new neck at some point. The back is quite nice, but at some point some sort of solvent splattered the front and made a mess of the finish. I had a luthier give it s decent clean and polish, so it's better than it was.

You're right that in the C19th they started trying to make violins look like they were from the C17th and C18th....  this is when people realised that Strads etc were worth a lot of money

Personally I like the look of some relics and a Jaco relic has some appeal to me... BUT. Every relic guitar I've come across in person, including a fender CS Jazz, has just made me not want to play it. There's just something about the fake ageing, dirty neck, cracked finish, unrealistic wear patterns that loads of other guitars have in cookie-cutter identical places, Sandberg for example all their heavy relics look identical to me and that's disappointing for a handmade item. 

Each to their own, though. 

Bass police have arrived !!!!! Off too jail for the OP.

Some very good companies out there, doing some very good relics. Fender isn,t high on the list.

Anyone expecting anything different from the biggest mass producing guitar company in history needs a fender history lesson.

But this Jaco bass is off limits imo. 

Why?  Why would someone want too have a bass that is instantly recognised and synonymous with the greatest and most influential  jazz player of all time? As is others like "trigger" or "Blackie"

There lies the answer............. 

Edited by Lowend soldier