Why become a member? ×

Why? oh Why?

NickA

"bought new in 2021 in immaculate 10/10 almost new, unplayed condition with no dings or missing finish" !!!!  

....according to bass direct.  What does a badly damaged one look like?

£3500 for a badly damaged basic jazz bass ... why?

image.thumb.png.7bcaa6b4decf76e21df7c1385fa049e1.png

image.thumb.png.7f6ae2358639978c83cad6921bc2d926.png

• Like 1

Yeah - my dad was the same when I wanted to buy stonewashed jeans in the 80's - he felt strongly that you should buy a pair of boot cut levi's and wash sparingly over a decade before you got the same effect. Now I'm older I agree with him - not so much at the time. Boot cut? FFS! It was all about the skinny back then.

Custom Shop Bass Of Doom copy, innit? The meticulously-replicated wear and tear was achieved by throwing it in the very same skip Jaco chucked the original in. (Allegedly.)

Played one of these in a shop years ago, it didn't motivate me to part with an insane amount of money for it, or make me sound like Jaco.

• Like 1

Clean wood. Apart from the neck. Body and neck done in two different rooms by different people. Screwed together by a 3rd person. It looks like a year 9 relic project. You would probably mark it as "well done, for a 14 year old" but be glad that you did not own it. I do love a good relic. This is not a good relic.

But people buy them - and for a commercial company, that is where it is at, so what do Fender care about my opinion?

• Like 2

People like them and order them, so Fender make them. Easy.

No for me. I prefer to make my own scrapes and dents, but If you have the cash, why not.

I briefly played a Custom Shop Pino Precision. It was one of the best playing basses I've picked up, and the Master built are supposed to be even better. If you want to fork out £6k or more on a bass these Fenders should be on your audition list.

3 hours ago, NickA said:

"bought new in 2021 in immaculate 10/10 almost new, unplayed condition with no dings or missing finish" !!!!  

image.thumb.png.7bcaa6b4decf76e21df7c1385fa049e1.png

image.thumb.png.7f6ae2358639978c83cad6921bc2d926.png

So don't buy it :)

Si

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

People like them and order them, so Fender make them. Easy.

No for me. I prefer to make my own scrapes and dents, but If you have the cash, why not.

I briefly played a Custom Shop Pino Precision. It was one of the best playing basses I've picked up, and the Master built are supposed to be even better. If you want to fork out £6k or more on a bass these Fenders should be on your audition list.

Same here Chris, the Pino is simply a stunningly good bass, easily the best Precision I’ve played. I’ve also been fortunate enough to play a Master Built Strat and it was an amazing guitar, felt instantly like I’d owned it for 30 plus years. Maybe people get this type of finish so they’re not heartbroken at the first ding?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NickA said:

Because the general public are gullible and believe that they're getting something more for their money if they pay more.

Such an effect can be clearly demonstrated with wines and other commodities, and the experts will lovingly heap praise on the expensive wines in their glass while turning up their nose at "cheap" wines, unbeknown to the fact that in the experiment they're drinking cheap bottles from Morrisons that's been repackaged. I't's amazing what price does to people's imagination in how they perceive things.

Put the price up bit by bit, add lots of marketing, maybe even make it a limited edition, and wait for a fool to come along.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

No one here going to buy it then? 😂.

I just wonder what stage of the bass of doom's life it's supposed to replicate.  If after he chucked it down the concrete steps then I hope it's been accurately broken to pieces and reassembled.

More amusing still: here's Jaco's son Felix holding what HE says is the bass of doom.   Seems it had a refin 😂🤣😂

381976_530695556949542_10755171_n.jpg?st

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Owen said:

I do love a good relic. This is not a good relic.

19 hours ago, Johncee said:

Whether or not "relic-ing" in general is your cup of tea, this is just really poor work.

Yes and yes. 3.5 large for this when Limelight will do an infinitely better job of it for one fifth the price? I don't think so somehow.

Only ever played one relic, which was the road worn classic 50. I own the normal one and have too say the rounded board edges, sanded neck ect, Did infact make the road worn nicer to play. I will get around too buying one eventually 

Edited by Lowend soldier