Why become a member? ×

Combo Advice

probonopublico

I need some advice.  I play in a couple of bands and with the recent re-awakenings of gigs I think I need a new bass combo.  The venues we play usually have a PA but this has been a bit hit and miss with the bass element so I really need to plug into a combo.   I've 2 Fender Rumbles, a 25w and a 200w.  The 25w is just not loud enough and the 200w is a little too big as we fit all of the band and instruments into an estate car.  The beauties of folk music.  I'm looking for something that is

Not too heavy (we are all old)

smaller than the 200w Rumble

quite pokey at the low end

200w or above as I may use it in a Punk band.

So:

What size speaker - is 12" really enough?

Could I do it with an amp and cab?

I've had a look at Mark Bass, but no where seems to have them to try out

What other makes are there?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, you have so far come up trumps on a number of my requests.

In 1977 my friend advertised his WEM Dominator combo for sale and ended up with enquiries from motorbike enthusiasts.

The Markbass CMD121 is a good little combo that punches much above its size would suggest. I used one in a band that had drums, keys, 2 x bass, 3 x guitars and it held its own fine. For the brief I’d say it fits well.

• Like 1

How about one of those little class D types (Elf / BAM) and twin cabs 2 x12"?

Plugged in to one cab for half the power and half size with the Folkies... stick on another cab for full power for the Punkies... Presumably with with the punk lot it's not all in the estate car? But with 2 cabs it might be an easier lift and arrangement in the boot space.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Worth keeing an eye on the forums for a second-hand:

Tecamp Puma Classic 112

Eich BC 112

Phil Jones Bass Suitcase

Any of these would fit the bill and will drive an extension speaker if you need to make a bit more noise for the punk band. Provided it's a pretty quiet punk band, they're not going to keep up with Marshal 100W and 4x12s obviously.

• Like 1