Why become a member? ×

Strings by mail

ricksterphil

Just used these guys for some strings which were hard to find through normal outlets (or v expensive)

www.stringsbymail.com

Cost £33.00 all taxes and duties paid and arrived about 7 days after ordering. Best UK price I could find was £48.00 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

Just used these guys for some strings which were hard to find through normal outlets (or v expensive)

www.stringsbymail.com

Cost £33.00 all taxes and duties paid and arrived about 7 days after ordering. Best UK price I could find was £48.00 

Where are they based?

On 23/04/2022 at 15:58, ricksterphil said:

www.stringsbymail.com

Thanks for the heads up.  I've just ordered a couple of sets of DR Sunbeams. Including delivery and tax they appear to be about £8 cheaper per set than from UK sources.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2022 at 20:49, gazhowe said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I've just ordered a couple of sets of DR Sunbeams. Including delivery and tax they appear to be about £8 cheaper per set than from UK sources.

I’m impressed.  😎

My two sets of strings arrived today, 11 days after ordering. The cost was £27 per set including shipping from the States. The cheapest I could find in the UK including delivery was £34 per set. 

• Like 2

On 09/05/2022 at 12:24, EBS_freak said:

Its pretty sick (disgusting) the price difference isn't it?

Shipping and distribution adds in additional layers that must be paid for.

Marshall amps are astonishingly expensive in the USA compared to the UK. American made strings are going to be way cheaper in the US. The Thomastiks are very expensive on that site - not a surprise as they've come from Vienna and gone over there.

So no - it's not disgusting. It's just reality of worldwide shipping costs, insurance, local taxes etc.

D'addario will still be making the same amount of money from a set sold there or here. But if you buy from a UK dealer then the UK dealer, the UK distributor, and the shipping overhead, import tax and VAT all have to be added to the price.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Shipping and distribution adds in additional layers that must be paid for.

Marshall amps are astonishingly expensive in the USA compared to the UK. American made strings are going to be way cheaper in the US. The Thomastiks are very expensive on that site - not a surprise as they've come from Vienna and gone over there.

So no - it's not disgusting. It's just reality of worldwide shipping costs, insurance, local taxes etc.

D'addario will still be making the same amount of money from a set sold there or here. But if you buy from a UK dealer then the UK dealer, the UK distributor, and the shipping overhead, import tax and VAT all have to be added to the price.

I get that... but I guess you didn't take a look at the price of Rotos on that site... and compare to the UK prices?