Why become a member? ×

Allegedly Pete Way's Thunderbird.

pst62

Google's Pete Way.

I've never understood why an instrument is suddenly worth ten to twenty times it's actual value because it was once owned by someone famous. 

I mean, yeah if it's something truly iconic used by an equally iconic star, then it would have some collectability value for museums etc, but some of the prices for a shortly used instrument are insane. 

I suppose anyone can ask what they want for anything. Whether someone is willing to pay it is another matter entirely. 

Ooh, someone who once made some albums, once owned this instrument, let’s add a ludicrous premium onto the price. I used to like a bit of UFO and I play bass, so I know who PW is, but I’m guessing he’s really way down the alphabet of celebrity ranking. EBay chancers!

• Like 1

It was also modded after PW sold it, based on the description ....

"Mods (Badass Bridge, coil-splitter toggle switch, white knobs) were made by previous owner, UK metal bassist Rocky Newton-who sold it to me directly."

So its not even in the format that PW used and recorded with. Nope

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 2

I saw UFO on many occasions between 1977 and 1981 and I never once saw him with a Red Bird. He had the same Natural Finish 1976 Bicentennial for all the gigs, apart from 1981, when he had a Black 79 Bird. his backups were Precisions.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pst62 said:

Ibanez Iceman that was in the early 2004.

In 2005 he told me this...

Ibanez made them for me. I used to use Gibson Thunderbirds: had some stolen and I went to Gibson and said I’d like some, I’ll pay costs and that. I’d used them for so long I’ve had them given me before and I didn’t particularly want them given me but Ibanez were really keen – we’ll build anything for you! Don’t ask me what pickups are on it, I’ve got other ones as well and I was very immersed with the other pickups. This one isn’t active. The other is a standard colour but it’s in the catalogue - they wanted to get a picture of this in their catalogue, actually.

It used to be the Iceman, or something I don’t really know. I just picked it and they said you can have it.

Edited by Mickeyboro
Typo
  • Like 1

I've found this fella on Facebook's Thunderbird bass players page and I've seen the pictures he claims are that Red bird, some date back to 1978 and all pics are of the Natural bird, there is a dark grain on the front top bought that stands out a mile.

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

In 2005 he told me this...

banez made them for me. I used to use Gibson Thunderbirds: had some stolen.

Back in 2016 I asked Pete what happened to the Natural Bicentennial bird? His reply was "I don't know, one day I had it, and then I didn't" This Red one could well be Pete's Black 79. I just hope it and the Natural weren't one of the birds that were stolen.

On 23/04/2022 at 17:18, pst62 said:

I saw UFO on many occasions between 1977 and 1981 and I never once saw him with a Red Bird. He had the same Natural Finish 1976 Bicentennial for all the gigs, apart from 1981, when he had a Black 79 Bird. his backups were Precisions.

Same here. I'm pretty sure it was a Tobaccoburst one but the years have clouded the memory. Never saw a red one. It was the T-bird or a white Precision.

Correction: Natural Precision

Edited by NikNik

On 23/04/2022 at 20:15, Bunion said:

I see he's changed the description to 79-81 which is more than likely correct as Pete only had two 70's birds between 77 and 81. The Natural which was a 76 and remained that colour.  and a Black 79 which was purchased around mid 1980, which was his main bass when I saw them in 81.