Why become a member? ×

Fender 3 bolt to 4 bolt neck conversion

A friend of mine gave me this 70s era jazz bass for me to own and restore to playing order. It's got all sorts of problems, but it has a body and that's all I need, I love that bridge pickup slot position.

I want this to project go ahead, however there is just one problem... the neck is absolutely knackered, basically unplayable (unless I want my fingers to be shredded into pieces). The bass also a 3 bolt system, so finding an exact replacement neck is tough, especially on a budget and in the UK.

I was thinking about buying a 70s style neck from fender, but they only come with the 4 bolt holes.

So my question is, could I modify the bass by drilling 4 holes into the body where the neck would go? Would the neck fit into the slot or would that be something I have to worry about? Has anyone done this before and/or is it possible?

I'm not worried about looks, and I'm not looking to hold any value, as I have no plans of selling the bass at all once I get it up to my playing standard.

(I am sorry if this seems like sacrelige to some people)

If anyone can help and/or want to ask questions about the bass please do not hesitate to ask

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree with Chris7273 - transferring the four neck holes accurately from the neck to the body wouldn't be a trivial job. whereas spotting through the three holes in the body into the neck would be easy. My first Fender bass was a hybrid like this; someone had mated a three-hole Mk1 Tele body with a four-hole '60s Precision neck. The fourth hole in the neck was just visible (could have been filled but wasn't) but no matter - the joint was as solid as a rock! Lovely bass, but a bit of a shoulder-buster at around 11lb!