Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro amp head Viper 500w plus Viper 410 cabinet

Dipen Man

Hi, I'm looking to buy the Carlsbro viper 500w amp head and Viper 410 cab. (Both end of line.) 

Anyone have experience of this set up? 

My sons the bass guitarist in the family and is gigging very soon so I thought I'd treat him. ☺️

He's in a heavy metal band. He's got a fender rumble 500w on order but I was pondering if the viper set up would be as good for a 250 person venue. 

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you share. 

I would have thought the Rumble 500W would be good enough. I hear a lot of praise for them.

I'm not a huge fan of Carlsbro gear and always found it a bit cheap especially compared to the Fender Rumble.

My experience of Carlsbro was my first "big" amp back in late 70's and maybe they've come on a bit from then but not for me.

Why Carlsbro ?

A 250 person venue is a decent size and i'm assuming a PA is involved. If so his own amp will be solely on stage monitoring for himself and the PA will be doing the main job. If just a vocal PA i think the Rumble will still be ok 

I've used 500W combo's in venues over the years and it was loud enough.

Maybe someone with more experience of the Rumble 500 can advise far better than me.

Wish him all the very best for the gig 

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have thought the Rumble 500W would be good enough. I hear a lot of praise for them.

I'm not a huge fan of Carlsbro gear and always found it a bit cheap especially compared to the Fender Rumble.

My experience of Carlsbro was my first "big" amp back in late 70's and maybe they've come on a bit from then but not for me.

Why Carlsbro ?

A 250 person venue is a decent size and i'm assuming a PA is involved. If so his own amp will be solely on stage monitoring for himself and the PA will be doing the main job. If just a vocal PA i think the Rumble will still be ok 

I've used 500W combo's in venues over the years and it was loud enough.

Maybe someone with more experience of the Rumble 500 can advise far better than me.

Wish him all the very best for the gig 

Dave

Thanks for the advice. There will be a PA system. 

Opted for the Carlsbro (not bought yet) as Fender have said there's no rumble 500 stock coming in till September. We've ordered one from a UK site who must have a back order coming in May, but just in case it doesn't turn up then my sons a bit stuffed. My local music shop sourced the Viper kit so I thought it would be a good back up just in case. 

I can't seem to find any reviews of the Viper amp head. Carlsbro said it's been used by bands all over the world but I've no way of knowing how good the sounds will be. 

• Like 1

I see where you're coming from now. My Mesa amp was cancelled after a year waiting and its a combination of things like parts shortages and cost of shipping containers. Most US companies wont send an individual amp. They wait till they have a full shipment worth but cost of containers and availability of them is causing severe headaches for many companies.

Have a look at 2nd hand gear on Basschat. I saw a decent 500w Ashdown EVO rig for sale recently that looked a good buy. Ashdown are a UK company so no shipping delays if buying new. Most shops either have them in stock or can get them quickly.

Ashdown EVO amps and cabs are used by many many pro bassists.

I guess a lot is down to budget tho and if its a back up interim amp then 2nd hand resale will be better on 2nd hand amp than a new Carlsbro amp.

I'd check the 2nd hand market on here first before getting Carlsbro gear. I've never known any pro bass player use it.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I see where you're coming from now. My Mesa amp was cancelled after a year waiting and its a combination of things like parts shortages and cost of shipping containers. Most US companies wont send an individual amp. They wait till they have a full shipment worth but cost of containers and availability of them is causing severe headaches for many companies.

Have a look at 2nd hand gear on Basschat. I saw a decent 500w Ashdown EVO rig for sale recently that looked a good buy. Ashdown are a UK company so no shipping delays if buying new. Most shops either have them in stock or can get them quickly.

Ashdown EVO amps and cabs are used by many many pro bassists.

I guess a lot is down to budget tho and if its a back up interim amp then 2nd hand resale will be better on 2nd hand amp than a new Carlsbro amp.

I'd check the 2nd hand market on here first before getting Carlsbro gear. I've never known any pro bass player use it.

Dave

Once again Thank you for the valuable advise. I'm new on here and didn't know there was a tab for used sales. I'll check it out. I'll look at the Ashdown Evo range, cheers

• Like 1

Ashdown have the best customer service in the business. They will repair any amp they have ever made and usually for a very reasonable fee or free. They offer a 5yr warranty on their amps.

I've used a Viper setup in a rehearsal room and was somewhat underwhelmed. An Ashdown rig, ABM/MAG/Rootmaster would blow it out of the water in imho.

• Like 2