Why become a member? ×

Dream Theater live SSE Arena Belfast

horrorshowbass

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the first few DT albums, then kind if got bored with then around falling into infinity. (I did enjoy train of thought tho)

Never really got into Myung though. He could clearly play but it never really turned me on. Didn't like his sound either, great player tho.

Didn't listen to the  for about 15 years but started listening to the first 2 albums again recently and they are cracking. Immense prog.

Aren't Tesseract on support?  That would be the reason why I would have bought a ticket, DT do nothing for me to be honest!

Amos is in a different league to Myung, his techniques and feel are stunning.

17 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

I loved the first few DT albums, then kind if got bored with then around falling into infinity. (I did enjoy train of thought tho)

Never really got into Myung though. He could clearly play but it never really turned me on. Didn't like his sound either, great player tho.

Didn't listen to the  for about 15 years but started listening to the first 2 albums again recently and they are cracking. Immense prog.

I know what you mean Myung used to be drowned out live but he has really cut through mix in last 10 years or so(maybe different drummers helped 🤷‍♀️ )

New album and especially one before it are great. Train of thought one of my faves.

3 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Ah yeah Amos was cool but technically Myung is the best. In my humble opinion of course :) Tesseract were cool, never really listened before.

Fighting talk, I don't understand half of the percussive stuff Amos pulls off.

Myung could be doing amazing things for DT I guess, it's not like you can hear him in the mix 😂

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Fighting talk, I don't understand half of the percussive stuff Amos pulls off.

Myung could be doing amazing things for DT I guess, it's not like you can hear him in the mix 😂

Yeah Amos is awesome (just properly checking him out) and agreed on Myung, he sounded awesome live recently but on other tours etc hes buried in the mix. I was on the bass side so was delighted!!! Really want a Bongo now.

Just saw this thread ... I was at the 23rd April show at the Evo Arena (Wembley, London)... 

Myung is a machine.  Absolutely sensational.  And I was so glad to hear his true bass tone shining through and not the (my opinion only please, before I get lambasted for being a tone Nazi) progressively more and more distorted mess I've heard from live recordings over the last decade or so.  His tone was so present and really made the bottom end move without woofing out.  The band was so on point!

Tesseract were just WOW!  As tight as a very tight duck's derrière - pity I could hardly hear Amos because he is a monster player.

But Myung... having grown up in South Africa, to actually get to see a band I've been a fan of since Awake was released... well... I'm not sure when then smile will leave my face hahahaha

#ashdownforeverbd071b90-daaf-4340-afdf-c6a7a461b5b0.thumb.jpg.b70def761408cab570ecd3047fccc687.jpg

Edited by glassmoon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, glassmoon said:

Just saw this thread ... I was at the 23rd April show at the Evo Arena (Wembley, London)... 

Myung is a machine.  Absolutely sensational.  And I was so glad to hear his true bass tone shining through and not the (my opinion only please, before I get lambasted for being a tone Nazi) progressively more and more distorted mess I've heard from live recordings over the last decade or so.  His tone was so present and really made the bottom end move without woofing out.  The band was so on point!

Tesseract were just WOW!  As tight as a very tight duck's derrière - pity I could hardly hear Amos because he is a monster player.

But Myung... having grown up in South Africa, to actually get to see a band I've been a fan of since Awake was released... well... I'm not sure when then smile will leave my face hahahaha

#ashdownforeverbd071b90-daaf-4340-afdf-c6a7a461b5b0.thumb.jpg.b70def761408cab570ecd3047fccc687.jpg

100% totally the above.

Was unbelievable seeing him in flesh. Tone was incredible.

• Like 1

I was at the Newcastle show. Probably the first time in 10 or 12 shows I've actually heard Myung properly. I guess the sound guys have finally listened to the complaints the bass community have been raising since John stopped using amps onstage. Also good that they tailored the set to James' voice for a change. The past 10 years or so he's really been struggling to sing stuff he had no problems with when it was written. Really glad they played 6.00 and finished with the count of Tuscany; great songs showcasing the whole band. The last couple of albums have seemed more a showcase for Petrucci's noodling rather than songs played by a band.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko said:

I was at the Newcastle show. Probably the first time in 10 or 12 shows I've actually heard Myung properly. I guess the sound guys have finally listened to the complaints the bass community have been raising since John stopped using amps onstage. Also good that they tailored the set to James' voice for a change. The past 10 years or so he's really been struggling to sing stuff he had no problems with when it was written. Really glad they played 6.00 and finished with the count of Tuscany; great songs showcasing the whole band. The last couple of albums have seemed more a showcase for Petrucci's noodling rather than songs played by a band.  

Too right - 6:00am was my highlight - but then I am rather biased to the Awake album.... 

I was just stoked that Rudess didn't go off on a 1000mph tangent at every opportunity... and no one took a solo :) :) :) 

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Sounds good, honestly can't really remember watching live footage and hearing Myung before, anyone know of any good vids taken?

The Images and Words, Live in Japan from 1992/3 was good.  He was playing a pre-Gibson Tobias.

The Awake in Japan from 1994/5 was really good.  He was playing a Tung then.

BTW - both tours were with him playing through a Boogie rig and he was clean!  Oh - he used to be a LOT more active on stage back in the day...