Why become a member? ×

East preamp: stacked pot - upper and lower binding, any ideas to fix?

Mokl

Excuse the weird thread title!

The stacked pot for the mid control on my East U-retro pre is binding. It's annoying, because when you want to cut or boost, the frequency shifts with it. It's not seized solid, just feels overly stiff.

I've removed the knobs to check it's not them, rather than the pot itself, but it makes no difference, so deffo the pot. I've tried turning both top and bottom portions liberally to see if they'll loosen up, but to no avail.

I emailed East last week, but no reply as yet, so wondering if anybody here has experienced and hopefully fixed similar? Pot replacement doesn't look straightforward as it's surface mounted...

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Mokl

Thanks! I believe John has an excellent reputation for responding to stuff like this - I thought he might be away on an Easter break! To be fair, I'm not the original owner either - just hoping for guidance on a remedy from him or the BC hive.

Edited by Mokl

I bought a John East Retro from John but when I received it I noticed it had no earth wire attached. John asked me to return it and he'd attached the earth and got it back to me in less than a week.

If you manage to contact him I'm sure he'll come up with a solution.

• Thanks 1

On 21/04/2022 at 15:54, FinnDave said:

I've never had much luck getting hold of John by email - but phone calls work and the number is on his website.

I've been round to his place several times and you couldn't meet a nicer or more helpful chap.

Likewise. John has been a friend long before i ever bought gear from him. Before he started East Uk.

He's a one man band,  is always inundated with work, as anyone can imagine with his global sales.  Phoning is better, assuming he's not on holiday or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1