Why become a member? ×

What was the Great British record buying public thinking (in 1975 and 1976)

TrevorR

38 minutes ago, police squad said:

My 80s duo actually do 'Shaddupayourface'. We introduce is as the song that stopped Vienna reaching number 1. 

My mum is actually Italian and I was on my way to school one day and Terry Wogan played this. I thought my dad was going to die laughing because my mum did say 'Shaddupayourface'

😁

Just don't be surprised if you get angry demonstrations outside your next gig accusing you of cultural appropriation and racial stereotyping.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

The line that sticks with me is, “Then a stale pork pie, hit him in the eye and Ernie bit the dust; poor Ernie.”

Spoilt for choice, lyrically!

I also recall it being the first time I’d seen a video/film on Top of the Pops, rather than the artist in the studio or a Pans People interpretation (dread to think what Pans People would’ve come up with…).

• Like 1

One of the first records I ever bought* was Chalk Dust (The umpire strikes Back) by The Brat.

*There was a hi-fi and TV shop in town that had a small selection of singles for sale. They were 25p each or 5 for £1 (this was the early 80s. I would have been about 11). I bought Chalk Dust as mentioned above, David Bowie - Absolute Beginners, Maria Vidal - Body Rock, Red Box - Enjoy (Solid Gold Easy Amex) and Dio - Rock & Roll Children (this one changed my life. I only bought it because I had picked 4 and wanted a free one. I didn’t know the song but I liked that it had a dragon on the sleeve!).

I had a competition back then with my brother to see who could find the worst record. The 2 clear winners were both football related. One was called 'Side by Side' by Peter Shilton and Ray Clemence and the other was called something like 'It's All In The Game' or 'It's Only a Game' by Brian Clough. Just shocking stuff.

I can't remember how my parents acquired a wind-up gramophone and some 78s, but they did. Among the records was one by a duo called "Flotsam and Jetsam", with a song called "Little Betty Bouncer":

A similar theme was explored many years later by Dr Hook, in "Roland the Roadie loves Gertrude the Groupie".

22 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Does this count as 'novelty', or 'Slade on anti-depressants'?

22 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Mouldy Old Dough was apparently the 42 best selling single of the whole of the 1970s in the UK...so there you go!

I used to love that song when it was in the charts.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 06:33, Bunion said:

Benny hill had a bash too with Ernie (the fastest milkman in the west) 

For me the worst thing about that track is when someone asks what was number 1 they day you were born, this is unfortunately my answer

• Haha 1

It’s never occurred to me to check what was number 1 when I was born. Just looked it up and it turns out it was Wonderful Land by The Shadows. Not too bad and certainly better than if I’d been born 10 days later when it was Nut Rocker by B. Bumble and The Stingers! 😂

4 hours ago, Andermtc said:

For me the worst thing about that track is when someone asks what was number 1 they day you were born, this is unfortunately my answer

I think it may be time to identify as someone who was born on a different day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/04/2022 at 17:02, Lozz196 said:

I used to love that song when it was in the charts.

Coventry’s finest!

Gave us a huge sense of pride seeing one of them wear a green and black City away top on telly (ToTP maybe?) before football tops were a thing. I seem to remember Brian Johnson doing similar wearing a Newcastle top with Geordie on ToTP… 

Fair to say we drove the teachers made at the time with the chorus!