Why become a member? ×

Basic Lighting for Gigs

Chienmortbb

We have three bright Par cans, each with big LEDs, which we try to use at every gig. Similar to this.

We also always have an LED bar placed upright at the bottom of the band's roller banner. Like this one, but shorter.

If the stage is large, we have two additional, slightly less bright LED Par cans that we can use.

Since all of those lights are too bright to shine directly on to the band, I place them upright and use the ceiling to reflect and diffuse the light.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

4 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Hi,

I have seen many bands in my time and those without at least some for of lighting seem dull. So my question is what is a minimum lighting rig? for a Pub?

Stage (band...) lighting is an art in and of itself. The style of band, the nature of the event, the budget available, and/or someone to operate stuff makes things complex. The 'minimum', I'd say, if there's no-one to operate stuff, would be a pair of projectors, as high as possible (on top of the FOH..?), one with a very light blue, the other a very light orange, 'looking' at the opposite 'corner' of the stage (so crossed beams...) giving a 'face' lighting. It doesn't have to be very bright, and best if it can be cut for 'blackouts'. Either side of the stage, an upward-facing pair of auto-colour LED Par's; another pair, if possible, either side of the drummer (if centre stage...). There would be enough 'scatter' from all of those to twinkle off anything shiny around, and the low 'face' will emphasise the front persons. Sound-to-light works, but slowly colour-cycling works well, too. Using walls/ceiling/drapery can be very effective in some venues, instead of just shining towards the group.

• Like 1

We've had loads of different lighting setups over the years. 

Now we have it down to a bagful of something similar to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154899833612?hash=item2410bfe30c:g:kdsAAOSwWMBiL~6O

with spring metal clamps so we can attach them to anything, usually the support poles for the FOH speakers and angle them how we like, at the singer, the guitarists fingers (!), angle up at the drum kit, on the back band logo etc. We also put a few behind the band on poles. Whole thing takes 5 minutes. I also put a couple of these behind the band (as they're so bright) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363806226888?hash=item54b48a79c8:g:TnsAAOSw-zxiXTDf

I'm not a fan of sound to light ( a bit school disco!) so fades are better, but to be honest we just leave the colours static now and let the moving heads to all the work. I've got enough to do playing the damn bass! 

A small haze machine also adds to the effect (if you're allowed to use one by the venue)

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is us in a pub just using our lights, not the venue lights

1 x ADJ VBar Pak on the floor at the front - set to auto slow fade 

2 x ADJ Sweeper Beam Quads on the poles at the back - set to auto slow macro

1 x ADJ VPar Pak inside the drum fishtank - set to auto slow fade

2 x Chauvet Intimidator Duo's on the floor in front of the amps doing swivelly stuff - via me tapdancing on a floor DMX controller

1 x Beamz laser thing mounted on the rear poles

1 x Beamz hazer - we only use all the lights if we can use the hazer, it makes a huge difference. If not we just use the drum lights and the front VBar Pak

Takes 10 mins max to set the whole lot up and it mostly looks after itself all night 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

And also obviously you have to have a light up drum kit don't you?

We did that for years, then we bought the roller banner and decided that the LED bar light I started placing at the bottom of it, shining upwards, was enough of a bother for our poor drummers, who have to sit right next to it or, when they're lucky, in front of it. :)

19 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

We did that for years, then we bought the roller banner and decided that the LED bar light I started placing at the bottom of it, shining upwards, was enough of a bother for our poor drummers, who have to sit right next to it or, when they're lucky, in front of it. :)

Its our drummer who sets his lights up, and he doesn't seem to mind

IMG_3050.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1