Why become a member? ×

Vanished places where I wish I had gigged

Happy Jack

My dad was a teenage dance band drummer in the early years of WW2*. They sound like they were wild gigs. Bomber crews dancing with easily impressed local girls. Wouldn’t it have been fantastic to play walking basslines to that audience?

*eventually he was conscripted and hit the beach as a Green Howard on D-Day.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Um, the acoustics there must have been interesting...

And there was I thinking you had started a thread about places such as, say, The Red Lion in Brentford, the London Astoria or similar... 9_9:D

Oh yes... many, many good memories there. I can still remember the thrill of seeing SOLD OUT written across the billboard for the first time. Such a nostalgia rush. 

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I played at the Charing Cross Road version 3 times, once supporting Carter the Unstoppables, and twice as headline...

I remember seeing them (and PWEI) play there in the late '80s. Cracking venue.  

24 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

An old boy who is a good friend of mine was a Green Howard in the 50's.  

They have a great regimental museum in Richmond, Yorkshire. I was able to take my old man both there, and back to the Normandy beaches. The latter trip, in 2000 was brilliant. Through visiting the actual sites and local museums I was able to appreciate that what I, and my brothers, thought were tall tales where, in fact, the way it really happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

My dad was a teenage dance band drummer in the early years of WW2*. They sound like they were wild gigs. Bomber crews dancing with easily impressed local girls. Wouldn’t it have been fantastic to play walking basslines to that audience?

*eventually he was conscripted and hit the beach as a Green Howard on D-Day.

There's a fantastic local band down here in Cornwall called Company B. They play lively jump jive music and wear American GI uniforms. 

Always a great night out. 

I'd imagine those gigs your dad played were a hoot. 

• Like 1

I never went to Eel Pie Island. Last buses running at around 11 pm made getting home pretty difficult, but I saw Fleetwood Mac, Cream, John Mayall, Jeff Beck Group, Hendrix etc etc many times at gigs including the Ricky Tick, The Starlight Ballroom, The Manor House, UFO, The Flamingo, Middle Earth and the Blue Moon in Hayes. Never played at any of those though.

I did get to play the Marquee, Ealing Club, 100 Club, Cavern, Tiles, Reading Festival and both Whiskey A Go-Go's, but the one gig I wished I had played was Woodstock, and maybe also the Fillmore's, East and West.

• Like 3

I missed all those early clubs (bit of a long trip from NZ!) but have played later versions of these clubs…and Fillmore West….where the ‘smoke’ off the audience went totally against the huge lettering on the wall saying ‘No Smoking’ !

• Like 1

I've never actually played at The Boat Club in Nottingham, although I have seen loads of bands there including YMG, U2, Comsat Angels, Bow Wow Wow and Orange Juice.

OtOH I have played on the main stage at Rock City.

Edited by BigRedX

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've never actually played at The Boat Club in Nottingham, although I have seen loads of bands there including YMG, U2, Comsat Angels, Bow Wow Wow and Orange Juice.

OtOH I have played on the main stage at Rock City.

I have played at the Boat Club, our guitarist photoshopped the sign with a list of bands to include us 😎