Why become a member? ×

Gibson Gene Simmons G2 Thunderbird Ebony Mirror

Eldon Tyrell

Just saw this on GG's website: "The Gibson Gene Simmons G2 Thunderbird Ebony Mirror is a stunning bass that reflects the legendary Gene Simmons perfectly. It sports a sleek, modern design, and has a number of great appointments such as a bound ebony fingerboard embedded with Pearloid reverse split diamond inlays, Hipshot Mini Clover tuners, a Hipshot Bass Bridge and is powered by a set of T-Bird pickups."

Not sure the new features (mirror plex pickguard with Gene's custom logo, new truss rod cover, bound ebony fingerboard with split diamond inlays, and the hipshot hardware) are worth the hefty markup over a regular Tbird (£2,499 instead of £1,999). Probably only of interest to die-hard KISS fans. What do you think? 

897978819_GSTbird.thumb.jpg.b946c4bffc3a06dd4440b99f6f262619.jpg 

GS Tbird2.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

Looks like a set-neck design too, without the thinner body wings of the regular model, so it's in fact fatter over the full width of the body. 

That would make more sense.

It's a cool looking bird, but Gibson's decision to move their logo from the truss rod cover onto the headstock itself is ill-advised.

Although Gene did briefly use a modified Thunderbird back in the day, I agree that a Ripper would make much more sense.

Edit: those tiny cloverleaf tuners look daft as well.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 3

Nope.  Just nope.

This is just wrong on so many levels; aside from a brief dalliance with a black bi-centennial Thunderbird in the 1970s, nothing in his legacy says he deserves a signature model of this.  A Grabber/Ripper would have been more appropriate.

Bad Gibson.  Bad, bad Gibson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

"The Gibson Gene Simmons G2 Thunderbird Ebony Mirror is a stunning bass that reflects the legendary Gene Simmons perfectly.

Gene Simmons: 'Wowza! That's me, there in the mirror. Rawkanroll! Hey, Gibson guy, you have a look'.

Gibson Guy: (Looks) 'Sorry, Gene. The only person I can see is myself.'

Gene Simmons: 'No, no. It's me. Look harder'.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That's a bit unkind, we haven't played one yet! 😉

Well, it may be a decent instrument but I doubt it is so good that it can turn losers into rock stars. Well, maybe I should get one and if I do not turn into a rock star that gets respected by guys and adored by girls, then I should ask for my money back and threaten to sue Gibson for misleading advertising, which is against the law: https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising 

"The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example: including false or deceptive messages

Penalties - if you break the regulations, you could be reported to a local Trading Standards office. You could be fined, prosecuted or imprisoned."

So, watch out Gibson 😉 

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

... sue Gibson for misleading advertising...

Nah, it wouldn't hold up in court. The ad only says that'll it'll work for 'losers'; you're too cool to qualify, so it's not applicable. Sorry. -_-

:lol: :P

• Haha 1

Not keen on that at all! He was never associated with a Thunderbird. As stated earlier, they should release a Ripper/Grabber in that paint job, with his logo, and watch them fly off the shelves.

Are his Cort punisher basses  still being made?

6 hours ago, lee650 said:

Not keen on that at all! He was never associated with a Thunderbird. As stated earlier, they should release a Ripper/Grabber in that paint job, with his logo, and watch them fly off the shelves.

Are his Cort punisher basses  still being made?

I feel like a ripper/grabber might be coming - several references in the ad to "what's coming next..."

7 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

If the Gibson 3-point bridge is supposed to be just fine, I have to wonder why they're using the same bridge I put on my Jack Casady bass.

PhotoCollage_1650411480443.jpg

People have been swapping out the three-pointer for years.

What's odd is why they went with the Hipshot and not the Babicz bridge they went with a few years back.  As terrible as the three-pointer is (and what an improvement the Hipshot is over that), the Babicz replacement is a country mile better than the Hipshot (by comfort, design and functionality).

• Like 1