Why become a member? ×

Where best to sell saxophones (UK)

lownote

I have two saxes I need to sell but I'm not clear on where to find the sax equivalent of our own excellent 'for sale forum'.  Both Cafe Saxophone and Saxon the Web seem difficult to navigate and I'm not even sure they have a marketplace.

If you are on Facebook there is a private group called U.K. woodwind for sale. Stuff moves well on there and people are decent and will help with values if needed. Depending what they are and where you are, The Saxshack in Stoke is brilliant and he will sell them on commission for you, for student/ common stuff he gets better prices even after the % is taken off then you would get selling private. Cafe saxophone is a dead end, you get 100 comments picking up every tiny detail and I gave up in the end as stuff just doesn’t move at all and they aren’t very friendly.

Out of interest, what are they? I am partial to the odd saxophone here or there…..

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

If you are on Facebook there is a private group called U.K. woodwind for sale. Stuff moves well on there and people are decent and will help with values if needed. Depending what they are and where you are, The Saxshack in Stoke is brilliant and he will sell them on commission for you, for student/ common stuff he gets better prices even after the % is taken off then you would get selling private. Cafe saxophone is a dead end, you get 100 comments picking up every tiny detail and I gave up in the end as stuff just doesn’t move at all and they aren’t very friendly.

Out of interest, what are they? I am partial to the odd saxophone here or there…..

Thanks T Bay.  Nothing special. An older Jupiter tenor, with some laquer rot as they were prone to,  recently comprehensively serviced and I'm told is worth £400. An almost as-new Jean Paul AS400, which sells for £619 new. Both with cases. 

1 hour ago, lownote said:

Thanks T Bay.  Nothing special. An older Jupiter tenor, with some laquer rot as they were prone to,  recently comprehensively serviced and I'm told is worth £400. An almost as-new Jean Paul AS400, which sells for £619 new. Both with cases. 

They should get some interest on the woodwind group as people are always after beginner/ intermediate stuff for sensible money. Good luck

C0D24AF3-1A5A-4D97-8202-CCAE303A20A1.thumb.png.814b9530c9e6ca5b9d3db8b19e6234c4.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lownote said:

I have two saxes I need to sell but I'm not clear on where to find the sax equivalent of our own excellent 'for sale forum'.  Both Cafe Saxophone and Saxon the Web seem difficult to navigate and I'm not even sure they have a marketplace.

Cafesaxophone does have sales space in the section called 'yardsale'. It's luck of the draw with regards to how quickly or slowly things shift. 

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure Woodwind Exchange is still going? Web site seems to have vanished. Possibly Hanson's in Yorkshire and Curly Woodwind in Liverpool. There's a place in Stoke-on-Trent whose name currently escapes me as well

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I'm not sure Woodwind Exchange is still going? Web site seems to have vanished. Possibly Hanson's in Yorkshire and Curly Woodwind in Liverpool. There's a place in Stoke-on-Trent whose name currently escapes me as well

Well that’s very sad news indeed; I have spent many hours there and bought and sold instruments there over the years. Hope Stuart and his family are ok. 

13 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I have placed them with the Stoke place you mention - Sax Shack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

You mean there isn't a SaxChat? Oh I guess not, it might get mistaken for a tractor site :)

Sax On The Web (SOTW) is a long-established (mainly) saxophone forum. I bought and sold on there for years (but haven’t frequented it much the last five years or so).

https://www.saxontheweb.net and yes, it does have a marketplace, though it seems trickier to navigate than it used to be. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Saxophone forums are weird places. I gave up on café saxophone after seeing several new members abused for asking questions. There was a hierarchy on there where certain members seemed immune to any criticism/ sanction for the rudeness. Not a friendly place at all. Sax on the web didn’t seem as bad but some strange folk on there.  

• Like 1