Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on combo for EUB

I've got a few gigs coming up very shortly where I'll be using both my electric bass and my NS EUB. I'd like to get a small combo to play the NS through that will be used mostly for monitoring as the main feed will go from the combo to the PA. I have played it through my bass rig and it sounds fine, but there's quite a lot going on in my effects set up including an electric bass preamp, compressor, Instrument selector, preamp for my EUB etc. and although it's fine, I end up doing a bit of a tap dance when switching between instruments. I led also like a small combo to use for EUB gigs on its own anyway. 

I had a Markbass CMD121P before and it was very good but is there anything else anyone would recommend please? I'm not looking to spend a fortune and would ideally like to get something before the gigs this weekend. 

Thanks

Can you not do something with a switcher pedal like the Radial Big Shot or similar?

I used to have mine wired so that my effects chain went into one input and my EUB into the other. Sort of electric bass > wireless > compressor > sansamp > big shot > micro thumpinator > amp with my EUB going into the second input on the Big Shot which then went via the micro thumpinator to the amp.

Just a thought, and don't want to extinguish your combo GAS 😎

Edited by JPJ

I've got a TC Electronic BG208 thats pretty good with upright. My preference is to use my Markbass EVO1 head, and my Epifani UL110. But of course, that's not really a cheap option. 

I use the EVO1 head, as it has two separately controlled / EQ-able inputs, and a nice range of preamp sounds for each input.

I have found that smaller speakers seem to work better for upright. Having owned & tried several 12" & 15" speakers that worked well with BG, but produced muddy, ill-defined low end tones with upright (more so with EUB too, I think).

So something like the TC 208, or that Markbass 208 would be a good place to start. Beedster's AER also looks a good bet, if you can afford it.

Also a point worth noting, is that EUB and BG require very different EQ'ing. I tried an ABY switching pedal, but struggled trying to EQ for upright and BG through the same channel. You could of course use an ABY switch, and EQ each output separately, with an EQ pedal for each one....

Good luck with your search.

Edited by Marc S

I use an AER One for my Eminence EUB, Sadowsky and Uke Bass, also through a Bigshot - I leave the lead in the EUB all the time and mute when I need to swap between the Sadowsky and Uke. Put amp on an acoustic platform with the tilt up and you're ready to play