• Yes I gig in a mostly originals band
    • Yes I gig in a tribute band
    • Yes I gig in an orchestra/big band
    • Yes I gig solo
    • No I don't gig but record with others
    • No I don't gig but I record on my own
    • No I don't gig, I play at home for my own pleasure
    • No I don't gig or even play aninstrument

I think another consideration is the effort that needs to be put into tribute bands outside of the music.  We probably spend as much, if not more  time on the marketing, choreography and 'the look' of the stage and band members as we do on the music.  This level of attention to detail has probably made the difference in terms of getting in work as we get lots of positive comments and generally no problems on the forward bookings.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I think another consideration is the effort that needs to be put into tribute bands outside of the music.  We probably spend as much, if not more  time on the marketing, choreography and 'the look' of the stage and band members as we do on the music.  This level of attention to detail has probably made the difference in terms of getting in work as we get lots of positive comments and generally no problems on the forward bookings.

I used to say this to my band mates all the time. We had one guy who was our acoustic guitar player who was the most miserable bugger ever when he was playing. I used to say try to at least look like you are enjoying yourself. We stopped short at dressing a certain way but I honestly think a band that looks like they are enjoying playing rubs off onto the punters.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ubit said:

I used to say this to my band mates all the time. We had one guy who was our acoustic guitar player who was the most miserable bugger ever when he was playing. I used to say try to at least look like you are enjoying yourself. We stopped short at dressing a certain way but I honestly think a band that looks like they are enjoying playing rubs off onto the punters.

It's about 5 years since I left the 'jeans and T shirt' approach.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but, certainly for a band or genre tribute, you have to at least look and act the part.  I think that's the difference between 10 and 50 gigs a year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

It's about 5 years since I left the 'jeans and T shirt' approach.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but, certainly for a band or genre tribute, you have to at least look and act the part.  I think that's the difference between 10 and 50 gigs a year.

I get what you mean for functions or tribute bands but for the band doing covers in a pub in a small town you can't look too rock star'ish or you get labelled a twatt.

• Like 1

During lockdown I stepped down from a Bon Jovi tribute band for a cocktail of reasons that resulted in my heart just not being in it.  So I'm in just one band now, a blues/rock trio covering stuff from Hendrix, Cream, ZZ Top, Jeff Healey, Freddie King etc.  Most usually we 'interpret' songs our own way.  There's some rumblings about chucking in the odd original but I'm not convinced.  We're not busy, nor do we want to be - this year we have 9 gigs in the diary, two now done.  Coming up is a support slot for a pro touring blues band, a slot at the Dereham Blues Festival and the rest pub gigs.  Hopefully we'll also get a slot at the Ipswich Maritime festival this year but that has yet to be announced. 

I've been in quite a few bands over the years but this one resonates with my soul more than any other, playing music I love that I grew up with and is part of my DNA :)  

• Like 5

On bass I’ve only ever played in originals bands or done session gigs for artists who write and play their own material.

But bass isn’t my main instrument (they’d be: percussion / drums / Hammond / guitar) and I’ve done all kinds of gigs from originals to functions. I’d love to say that playing the big gigs with signed acts was my favourite, and they were all I’m interested in, but tbh I’ve had the absolute best times playing ska and rocksteady covers at sweaty pub gigs for next to no money. Or doing latin covers at a mate’s wedding as a favour for food and beers. (hangover included, free gratis). I miss all that.

My gigging days might be at an end now, due to living hours away from any proper venues, in a country where I barely know anyone, but I’d still be up for it!

• Thanks 1

Mostly gigging with 70's Punk covers band but the 70's Glam Rock for me is a covers band but because of the costumes etc some venues have classed us as a tribute to 70's Glam Rock.

Dave

On 18/04/2022 at 15:29, Nicko said:

IMO there's also a small section of BCers that appear to dismiss people playing pub covers as somehow inferior to other gigging musicians.  Something along the lines of pub covers = bunch of amateurs pumping out the same old shite every week, vs function bands = semi pro and play a wide range of styles.

I've always thought a covers band is any that plays mainly covers whether that be a pub, tribute or function band. The only difference for me is the type of gigs and money involved at the end of the night. 

I know guys that earn a living from all three types of bands altho wedding / function bands probably bring in more cash but its still a covers band.

The variety of styles really depends on the gig. I've seen pub bands play every style from rock, pop, country to funk. 

I've never really agreed with the Pro / semi-pro / amatuer thing but that's another discussion we've had so many times on BC

Dave

I wasn't sure which box to tick, as I play in a blues band which is 90% covers plus a couple of originals, and a band which only plays the music of the Grateful Dead, who were themselves at least 50% a covers band. 

I have only played one wedding, and despite reading about how much wading bands get paid, it actually cost me money as I had to pay the rest of the band.

Still, I can't really complain as it was my daughter's wedding.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I wasn't sure which box to tick, as I play in a blues band which is 90% covers plus a couple of originals, and a band which only plays the music of the Grateful Dead, who were themselves at least 50% a covers band. 

I have only played one wedding, and despite reading about how much wading bands get paid, it actually cost me money as I had to pay the rest of the band.

Still, I can't really complain as it was my daughter's wedding.

I would have classed your Grateful Dead covers band as a Tribute band. 

A tribute to the songs of the Grateful Dead.

I was asked to join a function / wedding band and gave it a try but i just found the rehearsals too boring and decided it wasn't for me. Different when its your daughters tho. That is pretty cool.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have classed your Grateful Dead covers band as a Tribute band. 

A tribute to the songs of the Grateful Dead.

I was asked to join a function / wedding band and gave it a try but i just found the rehearsals too boring and decided it wasn't for me. Different when its your daughters tho. That is pretty cool.

Dave

I could only tick one box, so chose covers as that includes both bands.

We didn't rehearse for the wedding at all. It was a cool wedding, they basically held a private festival on a field for all their friends and family, and we were the band. Probably the best gig I'll ever play!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2022 at 08:54, bagsieblue said:

Have you added any new songs since the last rehearsal?.

If you have- how do you go about it?.

Yeah we add new stuff all the time. Essentially a version is agreed on then the singer confirms which key he wants it in and then we just discuss and bits that need agreeing (endings, which guitarist take which part, who sings what) then run it at sound check and it goes straight into the set. We get lots of requests for first dances and favourite songs from clients at the time of booking and these all have to be added.

• Thanks 1

On 19/04/2022 at 09:44, neepheid said:

I disagree with the aversion to rehearsals.  While I freely admit there is a social aspect to them (for us at least) it is critical for keeping us weekend warriors sounding tight.  It pays off too - in both my bands it has been commented upon on several occasions how tight we sound.  This would not happen if we rehearsed once in a blue moon, especially the originals band since it gigs less than once a month on average.  Also the originals band uses weekly meetups to develop new songs - but that's out of the scope of what most people consider "rehearsal" (again, another example where originals and covers/tribute bands differ).

Play a new song (or, *shudder* songs!)  having never played it/them together before the gig?  No thank you.  I consider that to be folly and horribly underprepared but maybe that just means I'm a crap player and my band(s) are crap too because I'm surrounded by like minded folk who wouldn't want to do that either.  So be it, it's not my profession and it isn't putting food on the table - more of a hobby that mostly pays for itself.  I'm bloody great at other stuff - funnily enough some of that excellence corresponds with my day job.

Thing is, if you're playing around 100 gigs a year then there's little to be gained from rehearsals other than the social side. We spend hours and hours each week in a van travelling the motorways together, another few hours in a rehearsal room won't make us like each other more.

As for adding new songs unrehearsed, it really depends what you're adding. If its something really complicated then yes, a rehearsal would be beneficial. If it's something well known and straightforward and you trust the rest of your band to have done their homework, then its a fun way to work.

• Like 1

Punk band playes 2-4 gigs a month and doesn't need to rehearse unless they want to add some new songs.

Glam band plays 5-6 gigs a year so rehearsals are a necessity for me. 

I wont gig with a band if its not up to giving 100% at a gig especially more so when there's decent money being paid by a venue.

There will be mistakes but rehearsals or regular gigging reduces that risk IME.

Dave 

• Like 2

I haven't done a gig in over two years since I took my early work pension and moved to the sticks , before that I was a regular 50 gigs a year. Here in rural Notts it's not easy to find players like it was in a Yorkshire city but I have teamed up with a reforming rock covers band of similar ancientness to me so I'll be gigging again later this year. Can't sing anymore though. My ears are so shot that I can't hear to pitch properly .... so I've done the obvious thing to protect them and joined a noisy two guitar rock band !!

I lowered the action on one of my basses for it while my hands get up to speed as I'd barely picked up a bass during my time off. Wasted my time - like falling off a log. Couple of days noodling and the coordination came straight back. My timings still bang on , my chops are still there where they should be. Guess I'm lucky not to have lost anything. Must be ready for it as I've found myself performing at rehearsals ! 

Interesting reading comments re rehearsals. I'm not used to rehearsal at all. Same band for 20 years etc. We rehearsed by chatting in the car on the way to gigs ! 

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dr.Dave said:

I haven't done a gig in over two years since I took my early work pension and moved to the sticks , before that I was a regular 50 gigs a year. Here in rural Notts it's not easy to find players like it was in a Yorkshire city but I have teamed up with a reforming rock covers band of similar ancientness to me so I'll be gigging again later this year. Can't sing anymore though. My ears are so shot that I can't hear to pitch properly .... so I've done the obvious thing to protect them and joined a noisy two guitar rock band !!

I lowered the action on one of my basses for it while my hands get up to speed as I'd barely picked up a bass during my time off. Wasted my time - like falling off a log. Couple of days noodling and the coordination came straight back. My timings still bang on , my chops are still there where they should be. Guess I'm lucky not to have lost anything. Must be ready for it as I've found myself performing at rehearsals ! 

Interesting reading comments re rehearsals. I'm not used to rehearsal at all. Same band for 20 years etc. We rehearsed by chatting in the car on the way to gigs ! 

Best thing you'll ever do is retire early and join a band or two. Since i retired 6 yrs ago at 56 i've never been so busy with bands altho covid put a stop to it for 2 yrs its back up and running this year with one band booked 2-4 gigs a month and the other a handful but that's more down to member work commitments.

People our age have lost their ego's and bands become a more friendly enjoyable place to be (usually). Lot less stressful than when i was younger.

I also live in country and rehearsals are 40miles away but its worth it.

Enjoy and make the most of it. 

Dave

• Like 5

On 18/04/2022 at 09:43, Happy Jack said:

Who on earth would make that assertion? And on what basis?

Based on posts in various threads, I would have agreed with the covers assertion, and the poll is currently sitting at over 49% towards covers.  TBH I would have expected maybe 70%.

I gig in an originals band - not so much these days, as some of the venues have disappeared during Covid, and the festivals situation hasn't yet picked up fully. Plus, I'm back on shift work, and our singer works in the (understaffed) care industry and frequently has to miss rehearsals and gigs to work. Fair go, as someone's welfare is more important, obvs.  I enjoy most gigs, but it's not something I HAVE to do.

I wouldn't mind getting another project together, just to write and maybe record. I program pretty much all of my ideas into Guitar Pro, and some of them make it into FL Studio productions when I have time.  I need to investigate the whole production scene a bit more....

Good news! Things are finally opening up a bit here and last night we had enquiries re possible dates for both bands in the summer, possibly starting in June. Covid is still a problem and at least one band member is concerned about rehearsing and playing in small venues but with any luck we will get some gigs. Of course there is also the possibility of symptoms and/or positive tests close to the gigs and because both bands are established and well rehearsed jazz groups( 4 piece and septet) replacing anyone would be tricky.

As mentioned in my previous post I have a theatre gig in early June, first real gig in more than two years and now we might be busy in the summer.😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Staggering on said:

Good news! Things are finally opening up a bit here and last night we had enquiries re possible dates for both bands in the summer, possibly starting in June. Covid is still a problem and at least one band member is concerned about rehearsing and playing in small venues but with any luck we will get some gigs. Of course there is also the possibility of symptoms and/or positive tests close to the gigs and because both bands are established and well rehearsed jazz groups( 4 piece and septet) replacing anyone would be tricky.

As mentioned in my previous post I have a theatre gig in early June, first real gig in more than two years and now we might be busy in the summer.😊

Great news for you guys.

Cancelling gigs last minute is always gonna be an issue. We've had to cancel 2 gigs recently as band members have tested +ve. Drummer had it 3 weeks ago, tested -ve few times for an all clear after 10 days and we thought all good to go again and then last week he tested +ve again. Says he def had symptoms twice and 2nd time it felt worse but symptoms cleared up quickly. He's now waiting for a -ve test for all clear to go again.

Out of the 2 bands i play with i'm the only one that hasn't caught it at all ........ yet. 

We've all had our 3 vaccines so i've no idea why they've caught it and myself and wife haven't. She attends all the gigs.

Anyway good luck and wishing you happy times ahead and keep us posted how your first gig goes down.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1