• Yes I gig in a mostly originals band
    • Yes I gig in a tribute band
    • Yes I gig in an orchestra/big band
    • Yes I gig solo
    • No I don't gig but record with others
    • No I don't gig but I record on my own
    • No I don't gig, I play at home for my own pleasure
    • No I don't gig or even play aninstrument

So who plays gigs? Tribute? Covers? Originals? It'd be interesting to see what sort of mix we have after an assertion that the majority on BC are tribute or functions players...

Unfortunately I couldn't work out how to give a couple of options for those who do many of each type, so please choose what you do most!

• Like 1

As you already know, "Yes, I gig in a mostly covers band" doesn't really do justice to what many (perhaps most) bassists actually do. It was the closest available so I ticked it.

Unfortunately, that selection makes no distinction between a covers band that plays pubs & clubs, and a covers band that plays functions, so this poll won't even answer the original question. 🙄

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Who on earth would make that assertion? And on what basis?

I can't say I've heard that explicitly said, but as someone who has a foot in both originals and covers camps I've had the feeling that there's some bias towards covers bands.  Nothing overt, just whenever things like fees are brought up or we're being entertained with tales of gigs there seems to be a default to things which pertain only to covers bands.

It's a bit like the location thing that happens (and I'm sure this isn't the only "UK" site where it happens) - when people say "North" without qualification they often really mean "North England".  As a resident of NE Scotland, I find that a little irritating but I can't do anything about it so I let it slide and content myself with a little chuckle at what most people consider "North".  Now no-one's saying that anyone's anti-Scotland here, it's just a little disheartening for its existence to be forgotten about on a fairly routine basis... ;)

• Like 2

I play bass in Qukulele ... so much fun!

We are a Ukulele covers band with a fair mix of mashing up of two or three songs and a few where we change a few words or most of the lyrics.  We also add in harmony to many of our numbers.

I joined as a Tenor uke player and transitioned to the bass a couple of years in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

I can't say I've heard that explicitly said, but as someone who has a foot in both originals and covers camps I've had the feeling that there's some bias towards covers bands. 

Entirely agree with that ... after all, pretty much everyone who starts playing will start by playing their favourite songs. When they first formed, The Beatles were just another covers band.

I was just astonished at the notion that 'most Basschatters' play in either a tribute act or a functions band. I've met a helluva lot of Basschatters over the last 15 years, been to see plenty of them play too, and IME there are way more guys doing what I do (pubs & clubs playing covers, dabbling on the side with originals projects) than there are playing in functions bands. As for genuine tribute bands (if that's not a contradiction in terms), those are seriously rare. I can think of half a dozen BCers over the years who have mentioned playing in a tribute band and - sadly - not all of those are still with us.

Being a numbers guy, I'd be happy to bet a fiver that the make-up of Basschat is:

• Tribute band players = 1%
  • Functions band players = 9%
  • Pubs & Clubs players = 20%
  • Originals bands, successful or otherwise = 20%
  • Not gigging bassists = 50%

40 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Who on earth would make that assertion? And on what basis

Someone said it in the guitarist reading thread... 

And I couldn't cover every possible combination of what sort of band you're in - just a best fit will do!

And by covers band I include functions bands who do a wide variety of covers in any setting. Tribute band would be either bands that exclusively do the work of one artist, possibly trying to look/perform like them, or bands that do shows like best of the 80s including dressing in the style covered.

Any more combinations - stick to what is most important to you and fits best...

None of the options fit me at the moment.  I used to gig and am looking to gig again, I rarely, so rarely it's more accurate to say never  play at home if I'm not practicing material for a band...so right now my basses sit in their cases.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

I can't say I've heard that explicitly said, but as someone who has a foot in both originals and covers camps I've had the feeling that there's some bias towards covers bands.

IMO there's also a small section of BCers that appear to dismiss people playing pub covers as somehow inferior to other gigging musicians.  Something along the lines of pub covers = bunch of amateurs pumping out the same old shite every week, vs function bands = semi pro and play a wide range of styles.

11 minutes ago, Nicko said:

IMO there's also a small section of BCers that appear to dismiss people playing pub covers as somehow inferior to other gigging musicians.  Something along the lines of pub covers = bunch of amateurs pumping out the same old shite every week, vs function bands = semi pro and play a wide range of styles.

But I am an amateur, pumping out the same old shite every week!  Is there more?  Should I be doing more? :D

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Must admit I don’t know why, gigging in an originals band is much easier, turn up with a bass & bag of leads/tuner, plug in, play 30/40mins, done.

As oppose to turn up at 7 with a covers band, set up a whole PA & lights along with full backline, then play at least two 45min sets, then have to break down all of said earlier gear.

Sure in my old originals band I found that too exhausting but that’s cos it was gigs pretty much every weekend, sometimes both Fri & Sat, all over the country and in Europe, but if keeping to a fairly local patch originals I find a lot easier. Full respect to the covers bands for the amount of work that’s needed.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

I am willing to bet there are loads of bass players  (and other musicians) who have no more talent than the weekend warriors but have landed lucky by being pally with a decent guitarist or singer who writes decent songs and are doing ok on the professional circuit.

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

I am willing to bet there are loads of bass players  (and other musicians) who have no more talent than the weekend warriors but have landed lucky by being pally with a decent guitarist or singer who writes decent songs and are doing ok on the professional circuit.

That'll be me then 😂

But let's face it, you don't need to be uber talented to play in a pro band. Sure you need to be competent, but other qualities come into play that are equally important such as reliability, dedication, being able to get on with other people, an innate ability to sleep through your keyboard player's snoring . . . 

• Like 3

Just to be awkward, I fit into multiple categories.

I gig in a covers band, although about half the songs we do aren't straight covers but rocked up versions of pop songs.  For example, we do a very hard rock version of "Beggin'". So we're a kind of covers-ish band, a re-work band if you like. The Far Corporation of covers bamds, but unlike them we're actually good.

I also play a lot at home for pleasure, which goes way beyond mere practice with the hours I put in.

And I record at home, both to satisfy my own creative urges and with the band.

And just to be truly awkward we mainly play pubs and clubs for the craic and beer money, but we have three pretty meaty functions booked for this year as well.   

Edited by Bassfinger