Why become a member? ×

Mic preamps and channel strips for bass

Waddycall

1 hour ago, prowla said:

What is a channel strip, BTW?

It’s a piece of “outboard” studio gear that takes a low level signal and amplifies it to line level and incorporates some e.q. and maybe some dynamics controls. Its similar to the strip of controls for each channel of a recording console. Some only have a pre amp and e.q. and some include a compressor. The eq can be a bit odd too as they’re generally intended more for microphone use although that could be mic’ing a bass or guitar cab/amp. They’re normally used to amplify and add some light adjustment to a signal that’s being recorded.  They’re generally less tonally coloured than a bespoke bass amp or preamp so allow the voicing to come from the instrument if that makes sense. The amplified signal is more faithful to the sound coming from the bass (both good and bad).

i was using a focusrite channel strip until my TL Audio unit came along. I found the e.q. on that a bit challenging for on the fly adjustment. It was very versatile but took some thinking about to get the best out of it. The TL Audio unit is more intuitive with a four band e.q. with selectable frequencies for each band.

not all studio/mic preamps are channel strips as many don’t include e.q. or compressor. 

I wanted to try a channel strip as I like to have some compression but don’t really like pedals or want to have  a  bigger rack set up than necessary. It’s all just for fun though and it’s an enjoyable learning curve.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2022 at 14:14, E sharp said:

Trying it out now, really nice. 

Bass and treble switches don’t do much, but the core tone is lovely 

430AE782-83BA-4F04-923F-9E4A0753B25A.jpeg

Sending it back - just E Mailed Thomann , on how to do this . 

I've done months of research on the Sonic Farm , and was aware that the High and Low EQ switches are subtle , but they appear to do absolutely nothing at all . 

Thought it may be too subtle through speakers , but I've just been testing on headphones , and both switches seem to do naff all - and I mean zilch . 

Disappointed really . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, E sharp said:

Sending it back - just E Mailed Thomann , on how to do this . 

I've done months of research on the Sonic Farm , and was aware that the High and Low EQ switches are subtle , but they appear to do absolutely nothing at all . 

Thought it may be too subtle through speakers , but I've just been testing on headphones , and both switches seem to do naff all - and I mean zilch . 

Disappointed really . 

What a shame. Curiosity led me to the manual on their website. Have you tried adjusting the trim pots?

Trim pots fully open. Played notes whilst I turned trim pots up and down- nothing.

Like the core sound of it, but I’m not sinking £719 for controls that don’t work. 

Thomann said they’re getting back to me 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2022 at 17:23, Bankai said:

I love the idea of using a Rupert Neve Shelford rack channel for bass and I think it’d sound excellent. However, the price is prohibitive..

image.jpeg.8fa8ebc6c02a2e1850345dd8f02b1a37.jpeg

I run a Shelford in the studio as the DI for my bass, then into an HX Stomp, mix the 2 as required, the Shelford's harmonic circuit is brilliant for bass, and the compressor is an excellent recording tool. Yes it's pricy, but it's my goto input channel for vocals, acoustic guitar, almost anything really, a very versatile unit.

• Like 1