Why become a member? ×

What?? You like them….???

TrevorR

Most people are, to one degree or another, seen as a collection of clichés or easy hooks to hang a label on as far as the people who know them are concerned. Dad, brother, [insert job here], petrolhead, pain in the proverbial, pedant, sports fan, geek etc etc… Certainly for us bass players our chums will probably do that with our musical tastes. 

But there are probably outliers for all of us which step outside the perception of us. Bands or artists no one would guess we are into. A lot of my uni chums would think of me as a beardy folky because of the folk rock band I formed then and many group trips to see Fairport Convention. Most people know me as a huge ELO fan or an aging rocker who loves Thin Lizzy and Gary Moore. Some guitarist chums refer to me (ironically) as “Progmeister” because I love Yes, Rush and Genesis…

But I doubt that anyone would ever guess that my LP and CD collection contains a pretty large amount electronica like Kraftwerk and, in particular, Jean Michel Jarre.  Just love a bit of Jarre… And it goes right back to being a teenager, listening to Equinox and Magnetic Fields. When I first heard he was planning a City Concert gig in London it became my “must see” gig for that year. Destination Docklands still ranks as one of my best (and wettest) gig experiences!

I wonder what other folks “core listening” and unexpected outliers are.

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

Im a classic and prog rocker born well out of time.

And I also have a fondness for the music of Gordon Lightfoot. And Vivaldi.

As for JMJ, his Docklands performance of Magnetic Fields 2 is absolutely mind blowing. He good.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1