Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have just ONE bass?

Rayman

5 hours ago, hamfist said:

I have owned more than one bass for long periods in the past, but always have had a favourite and only really played that, so I decided so simplify everything and just have that one perfect bass.

You can't buy what I wanted, so I built it. As per the pic, although it now sports a perloid blue pickguard and jazz pickups.

I have no desire to play anything else.

IMG_1994.JPG

I have some much admiration for people who build their own instruments! Nice work

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carlitos71 said:

I have some much admiration for people who build their own instruments! Nice work

Forgive my ignorance.  Why can't one buy a P bass with an extra pickup at the bridge?

Unless it's a J bass with a different pickup at the neck.... and a different type of neck?

12 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

And also, one for the "Don't knee your guitar in the neck joint " brigade. 

What a silly thing to do. 

He seems pretty cheerful about it, notwithstanding the break! 

I mean to be fair,  its a pretty bad advert for a PRS.  Ain't no guitar should be breaking like that from that.  It wasn't the wildest of moves.

On 17/04/2022 at 08:53, MrDinsdale said:

I built a bass when I was 16 with my dad and it was my only bass for about 12 years until I bought myself a Warwick Corvette just before lockdown.

I would actually like to have had a dad who’d make that time. 

On 21/06/2022 at 13:36, Andyjr1515 said:

I have two and I don't even really play bass!!! :)

Yes but two proper instruments outweigh the pestilence of the defective six stringed weedy things 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

I used to for the longest time, just 1 bass and 1 guitar, now I got more, but I am very much still a one bass kind of guy, I prefer to stick mainly to 1 number one instrument at a time, which usually will remain my number one for a long time going forward.

Though I do appreciate the option for picking up another bass or guitar should I feel more like it, and it is kind of quite essential when producing my own music, as I do.

At the moment this is my #1 instrument of choice, a recent acquired Harley Benton GuitarBass (Bass VI), tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, or 9 half steps bellow regular guitar E standard tuning :

Harley-Benton-Guitar-Bass-Artistic-12-co

Really feels like I finally found the ultimate instrument for me, kind of like I felt when discovering bass after a couple of years initially having started on guitar.

This seems like the ultimate hybrid of those two instruments, in a way feeling like coming full perfect circle for me.

All the best aspects of a bass combined with all the best aspects of a guitar, and I am not only talking physically or design wise, but in fact rather in the sense of the playing style it conveys/compels you to play and stuff it allows you to play.

Still being it's very own unique instruments, at least as I see it ultimately different from both regular electric guitar and bass, a case of 1 + 1 = 3.

Like it has all the melodic capabilities of a guitar, but at the same time allowing for playing much more rhythmically and with a much greater dynamic range as a bass would, in those aspects having some similarities to a piano really, which just opens up so much more options playing wise, like adding a whole new dimension and depth to melodic work, and of course also giving you the option for doing more complex chordal based work as a guitar would as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I own more basses now than when I was gigging. And I hardly ever play them. (I play Stick). A short scale, acoustic, full scale, fretless, and an 8-string fretless. 

I bang on them occasionally. Basically for recording. If I want a "bass" sound. 

One Stick for everything.

Oh, and then there's the fretless Stick.

And the two "Joni" guitars.

There's an electric mandolin under the bed w/out strings on it (I have strings)

For my needs I don't really see the point in having different coloured basses or wanting a jazz and a p and a rickenbacker and whatever, unless I was a collector. I prefer to have basses based on how many strings(4 to 6) they have for fretted, and 1 fretless. 

I think it's always practical to have one inexpensive backup.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I have one bass - a US Standard Jazz. One amp - MarkBass CMD 121P. One pedal - TC Polytune 3. I know what I like. 👍🏻

I really wish I could do that, one bass/amp/pedal (if needed). But I know myself too well. Whatever happens I’d always have a backup bass whilst still gigging.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one Bass Guitar which turns 40 next year. Apart from a Double Bass that I owned for a couple of years it's the only bass I've ever had.

Every now and again I go in a music shop with the intent of buying a new one and come out empty handed. 

fullsizeoutput_1488.jpeg

• Like 4

On 29/06/2022 at 10:10, Supernaut said:

I have one bass - a US Standard Jazz. One amp - MarkBass CMD 121P. One pedal - TC Polytune 3. I know what I like. 👍🏻

I like this.  For years I had my Stingray, Trace Elliott combo and a lead.  If there was decent FoH, I’d leave the Trace at home.  
Didn’t even carry spares, just make sure all the gear is reliable stuff, and everything is well maintained.  
I don’t think I would have the patience with temperamental gear, keep it simple, nothing is going to break .  

1 minute ago, garyt said:

I like this.  For years I had my Stingray, Trace Elliott combo and a lead.  If there was decent FoH, I’d leave the Trace at home.  
Didn’t even carry spares, just make sure all the gear is reliable stuff, and everything is well maintained.  
I don’t think I would have the patience with temperamental gear, keep it simple, nothing is going to break .  

... until it breaks.

9 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

... until it breaks.

Yup, only time I ever needed my backup bass was quite typically the time I couldn`t be bothered to take it to the gig. And made worse by the fact that I`d agreed to lend my bass to the support band who were flying over from Germany. Luckily the headlining bassist was a decent chap and took great pity.

And I`d checked the bass was working before I set off. Turned out to be an intermittently dodgy jack-plug.

Edited by Lozz196

I've been gigging for 20 years and only ever bought one bass and one amp with me to gigs. Never broken a string. If my amp does let go, I have a Radial DI on standby. I have a TC Unitune in case the Polytune goes. Simple load in, easy to set-up and go. 

D538D691-E646-4DBC-B814-1A3916FD1614.jpeg

• Like 3