Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have just ONE bass?

Rayman

I like having the choice.  I've yet to find a definitive 'do it all' bass (although I had a play with a cort gb74 gig bass that is tempting), so I choose the bass I feel best fits the type of gig we're playing. Heavy rock at a biker bar - Yamaha Attitude.  Function/party set - G&L JB2.  Either way, I'll take the Squier 50s P as a backup.

Unless it's a little, short set somewhere, I always take a spare bass, even if it lives in a gig bag.  I've had a bass fail once and only once at a gig (dodgy jack socket) and was so glad I had a backup.

Likewise, I had an amp head fail during a 20min set at a showcase event.  Markbass head in padded case fell out of the boot when we opened the boot door.  Seemed fine at first but must have had a microfracture that caused it to go into protect mode after 10mins.  Got it fixed and bought a new amp and started taking both so I had a backup.

These days, me and the two guitarists each use a helix and an frfr speaker as backline monitoring (with multiple inputs).. One of them also brings an HX Stomp as a backup with patches loaded for each of us, so if one helix dies, we are covered. Similarly, if an frfr speaker dies the others have spare inputs.  Regardless, we all go direct to FOH as well. Heck, in a dire emergency, I could probably use my Nux Mighty Plug, or my G10s wireless (receiver has XLR output) straight into the desk.

Our drummer's kit is in immaculate condition and he takes great care of it (he does actually bring a spare snare drum sometimes).  He also has a roland trigger module device with two pads and bass drum trigger. So even if he had a catastrophic bass drum/bass pedal or snare failure he's be able to work around with with the trigger.

Our old drummer came back after a break as a co-lead singer. So we even have a backup singer if one can't do it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I guess that is wise....I've just never had a problem. I have had more issues with vehicle failures/power failures (at the venue), bad leads, drunken guitarists

I'm guess that, if I had to, I could probably change a string in about 3 minutes. 

The only thing I don't trust is the 9v in my main bass, and the 9v in my backup.....hmmm, maybe I need 3????

just change your 9V with every string change.   Seriously, when have you ever had a 9V die?

I’m lucky as my Sandberg has a passive switch, so if a battery did die, I could switch to passive. 

The one thing out of our control at pub / club gigs is whizzed up punters . 

• Like 1

For me, I have two basses.

The acoustic 5 string bass never gets used. It was bought when I played in an acoustic ukulele band.

However, the five string electric bass is played on stage pretty much each week.  As a result, it is need of a setup (rattling truss rod), and I need to wait for a break in my playing schedule before I can have the work done.

So, one bass effectively, but two basses numerically.

6 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Only one bass here. I can see the attraction of having more, but I’d have to be playing a lot more to justify it… either to myself or to the rest of the household

Same for me - I don't feel that I play enough to justify an additional bass.  I also tend to use something until it breaks (cars especially, and, it seems, basses too). 

However, I have plans for a second bass, and will start searching seriously later this year!  That's more to give me a backup instrument, and less about having a collection.

Nope - four 4 stringers that can be used either depending on the er, ‘quality’ of the venue, or to ensure I have a back up, & because they each are tonally different. It’s nice to have a choice.

One 5 string in case needed. I used to think I looked clever having all 5 strings once, then I realised how much extra I was spending on strings….. 😆

One (absolutely glorious) Westone fretless. Just love owning this one. Sometimes I play it, & then I realise my limitations & end up just looking at it. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️😆

I’ve called it quits at 6 though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Of late I have found that rather than have a rack of different sound options that the truth is I am not a session player.. so I am refining it to more options of sounding like myself.. so I’ve refined it to flavours of p basses as opposed to having every bass ever recorded.. easier to maintain fewer basses and easier to always be happy with the tone you know you can always sculpt from one bass you play all the time.. 

That was why I bought a Peavey T-40 - or at least why I originally wanted one.  Passive, but capable of making any (fretted) bass noise known to man.

But by the time I actually bought one, I had well over a dozen basses.

• Haha 3

I had one bass for many years. Then I joined some bass forums and now I have 3 (very moderate for Basschat I know).

The reality is I play my USA Fender Jazz almost exclusively and the other 2 sit in cases and only come out occasionally. 

I’ve had one bass (Warwick Streamer II) for almost 30 years - I did get a couple of basses shortly after joining basschat - but was not playing them and moved them on.

I understand people who collect basses but I don’t really see the point… I can get lots of sounds out of my one bass and really used to it - find it challenging to play any other…

Don’t really gig much these days but if I did perhaps I would consider a spare but…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlitos71 said:

I’ve had one bass (Warwick Streamer II) for almost 30 years - I did get a couple of basses shortly after joining basschat - but was not playing them and moved them on.

I understand people who collect basses but I don’t really see the point… I can get lots of sounds out of my one bass and really used to it - find it challenging to play any other…

Don’t really gig much these days but if I did perhaps I would consider a spare but…

Whole heartedly agree! I'm just a horder 9_9

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 11:14, thewebow said:

.. so I am refining it to more options of sounding like myself..

I have several... ok, I have seven basses (but I'm in control and can stop at anytime 😀) but for the last year I've been using my Stingray to develop my own sound. I like the basses I've got and some of them have pleasant memories attached so I probably wouldn't sell them on (and in any case, they're not worth much in cash terms) but I find myself playing them less and less in favour of the Ray. I like to have a spare bass at gigs and I tend to rotate the rest of the collection in that capacity. And if we're rehearsing without an imminent gig, I'll sometimes use one of the others just to make them feel loved. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlitos71 said:

I’m not surprised it’s stuck. Early 90’s stage II is not going to be easily beaten.

I have gone from having four or five on hand to having just one that does everything. My go to is a MIJ Fender Jazz with matching headstock, block markers, Hipshot Ultralites, Hipshot Kickass, Seymour Duncan Apollos, series/parallel switch, Dunlop straplocks and TI Jazz Flats. I no longer have the urge to play 5 and 6 strings, active basses, or anything that's not a Jazz shape. The Jazz just fits into my body like an old slipper, so comfortable. The series switch gets me a roaring P tone from the Apollos, and they are dead quiet in parallel.

• Like 2

I only have the one Double Bass ... does that count?  I'd have another one (one for jazz & Bone for classical) but by god they're huge .... and nice ones cost £10k+ each, so sticking with the same one I've had for 30 years now.

Electrics ... well, compact and relatively cheap; plus curiosity.  Why stick with just one?

• Like 1

I have owned more than one bass for long periods in the past, but always have had a favourite and only really played that, so I decided so simplify everything and just have that one perfect bass.

You can't buy what I wanted, so I built it. As per the pic, although it now sports a perloid blue pickguard and jazz pickups.

I have no desire to play anything else.

IMG_1994.JPG

• Like 5