Why become a member? ×

Is any of it worth it?

Vin Venal

I agree... end of! 

Will it stop me buying/trying other basses and equipment... NO because I came to the conclusion some time back that what I want/need/desire is in no way connected with what is needed/wanted in a live band/music setting.  

I've been around the doors long enough that I've met myself coming back into fashion and I've even bought back instruments/equipment that I sold years ago (now the proud owner of my original Thunderfunk AND Tech Blackcat amps) but it's for my own personal gratification. 

A classic example of why it matters not one iota is that I recently went down the route of IEMs so that I could see how little gear I needed to gig.  I threw myself in the deep end; bought £50 IEM, borrowed a transmitter, ditched backline and rocked up to my band gig with an Aria Sinsinado bass which I've never gigged EVER and sounds nothing like any of my other basses.  I went through FOH band PA and at the end of the gig, the drummer hadn't noticed and the punters didn't give a sh*t and did the dickish things that punters do when tanked up.  Did I enjoy it... No.  So back to sourcing my fave backline and playing whatever bass colour goes with my shirt!  :)  

• Like 5

I went through an interesting bass acquisition process recently that made me rethink how I'll go about buying basses in future (as a back ground I have a collection from cheap Squiers, which I love, to expensive customs).

So, out of curiosity I picked up a set of Seymour Duncan weather report jazz pickups. Rather than drop then in one of my Squier jazz basses, I just had the mad idea I would ask my local luthier if he would put together a jazz of some kind for them, which then turned into a project and ultimately something quite special. 

Now in the past my customs have been a one off but based on a design which the luthier is familiar, my Sei Flamboyant is a good example. However, with this bass it was completely free rein, anything I wanted. At first it was overwhelming but once you put a few markers down, things like neck dimensions, woods to complement the tone I'm going for etc, it soon narrows things. Well, I found the process totally engaging and I'm now thinking what sort of bass would I put together for a fretted version? I can't see many of my old basses surviving once I get another one made as I'm now just seeing the compromises in them, which before I was ok about but not any longer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

I've been through tonnes of gear over the past few years, sometimes chasing very particular tones, sometimes just seeing if I like stuff.

I don't bother with the " chasing sound in my head" approach. IMO there are very few basses that don't have a good sound in them.

Another band leader dropped in to our gig last night and was only talking about the energy in the bands playing and the way the bass and drums fitted together. Nothing about the sound at all. Fingers crossed, I might get some gigs out of it!

As bassists we shouldn't sound bad, but it's how we play that impresses others.

• Like 2

I agree with part of the original point - not buying basses unseen.

I am one of those fussy folks who needs to avoid heavy basses - not for fun, but because of an injury that gets aggravated by stuff that’s too heavy.

Unless a bass is at least as good as what I’ve already got, then it’s not going to get used and there’s no point keeping it. 

Unfortunately that’s not always obvious even if you play it in a shop, let along buying it unseen online.

Too many variables to take a punt. (Someone remind me of that next time I spot a bass online that I like). 

Edited by bassbiscuits

I kinda sorta agree and kinda sorta disagree as well.

Budget instruments nowadays are much better than what they used to be in the past. Better construction, better quality control and with the advent of the internet, fora and social media, it'd be pretty much financial suicide for even a budget brand to consistently offer only "lemons". Sure, there are some "misfires" but for the most part, even the cheapest instruments are at least serviceable.

Now, myself, not being a pro, am mostly resigned to harley bentons. I know the brand, they have relatively consistent QC and offer stuff I like at prices that enable me to have five different instruments instead of one. Do I want a 51 P but lack the funds to get a fender or a sire? Here's the HB PB50 (honestly, one of the best, despite the extremely low price). Do I want a stingray but don't even wanna shell out 500 for a sterling? Here's the MB. Now this is not an ad for harley benton but I am considering diminishing returns. Do I really get 3, 4 or even more times a better bass with some other name brand? In my experience, usually not.

Granted, these cheaper instruments do need some work and are sometimes lacking in certain parts; say electronics, for example. But I do dare say my 90 euro HB precision plays much nicer than a lot of fender player series after I've worked on it. Are the fenders better quality? Absolutely. Better woods, better pickups, etc. Are they 7 times the price of the HB better? Not for me. And considering I can do the work myself, the choice is pretty easy for me.

Having said that, I would love to have a few expensive basses but I've found that, the point where you do really get a much better instrument for your money is somewhere above the 1000 euro mark and that kinda money aren't peanuts for yours truly. Hell, I got my car for 800! 😁

I'd still gladly spend that but that would be on something more "special". Say a human base or something, not another FSO kinda thing.

In any case, long winded way for saying "do whatever makes you happy".

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Gothic said:

In any case, long winded way for saying "do whatever makes you happy".

The thing that makes we want to pick up and play a bass is when I see some one else playing it in the groove. I've been stalking your YT channel (signature link). Great playing and, hey, lovely bass(es)! Nowt wrong with HB. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

The thing that makes we want to pick up and play a bass is when I see some one else playing it in the groove. I've been stalking your YT channel (signature link). Great playing and, hey, lovely bass(es)! Nowt wrong with HB. 

Thank you so much man!

• Like 1

I, too, have had a few instruments. The band I am playing the most (and have been since 1990's) has seen fours, fives, and fretlesses. Even two double basses. Last three, four years I have been thinking that I have found my sound.

Well, a month ago we decided to play standards. I suggested that I could play few songs with my old EUB. Now they just want THAT, and asked me to leave my electric bass at home: "That's The Sound."

OK, fine, I think it is about playing style and certainly the sound is different. I am still a bit unsure whether I can play all the stuff only with upright (from Motown to RATM), but at least my bandmates have found "my sound".

I have spent too much on kit. I have had 90% of the lush preamps out there - I know which one I prefered. I have owned what I consider the best backline out there - there is a pleasure in amplification which reaches all the way down there without giving up. I have had a solid 80% of bass guitar options. An instrument which responds equally across the range will always make me smile. I like a 33" scale because the strings are a bit more rubbery.

As soon as Drums Rex and The Guitarmageddon kick in, any subtletly just dissapears.

And after too much time in loud environments I cannot play without earplugs so even if any of the subtlety is there, I miss it.

Does this stop me owning more basses than I need? Nope. But it is cos I like them, not because anyone else, including me, will hear any difference when the chips are down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1