Why become a member? ×

Fender AVRI 74 Jazz.?

bubinga5

I've got a 74 AVRI Jazz Bass and it's a great bass, I really enjoy it whenever I play it. Mine has got a rosewood fingerboard and I put TI flats on it. I use it primarily as my reggae/ vintage tones kind of a bass and it nails the vibe perfectly.

However, something to be aware of is that they have a very chunky front-to-back neck profile for a Jazz Bass. That and the fact that they are slightly narrower at the nut than a typical Jazz Bass. I find mine very comfortable to play nevertheless, and I can play just as fast as on any other bass, and I say that as someone who can't get on with big chunky P Bass neck profiles. 

The neck  is laquered, which I personally like but lots of folks seem to take exception to nowadays. Feels good to me, anyway.

The 74 Jazz pickups that Fender came up with for that bass are really, really good. I would never change them.

As with most Jazz Basses, you have to hunt a bit to find a lightweight example, but I bided my time and found one well under 9 pounds. Definitely a keeper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

I've got a 74 AVRI Jazz Bass and it's a great bass, I really enjoy it whenever I play it. Mine has got a rosewood fingerboard and I put TI flats on it. I use it primarily as my reggae/ vintage tones kind of a bass and it nails the vibe perfectly.

However, something to be aware of is that they have a very chunky front-to-back neck profile for a Jazz Bass. That and the fact that they are slightly narrower at the nut than a typical Jazz Bass. I find mine very comfortable to play nevertheless, and I can play just as fast as on any other bass, and I say that as someone who can't get on with big chunky P Bass neck profiles. 

The neck  is laquered, which I personally like but lots of folks seem to take exception to nowadays. Feels good to me, anyway.

The 74 Jazz pickups that Fender came up with for that bass are really, really good. I would never change them.

As with most Jazz Basses, you have to hunt a bit to find a lightweight example, but I bided my time and found one well under 9 pounds. Definitely a keeper.

Thankyou for the info. Pics of your bass please.?😆

I don't have it to hand, but it's identical to this one :

I have it on good authority that Fender discontinued this range of basses because they were talking business away from the custom shop. The metal covers were punched out on the same machine Fender used back in the day for the originals, and the fingerboard is the same round laminated one that Fender used back in those days.If you can get on with the neck profile they are a lovely bass.( Why Fender made them so chunky I have no idea! Some Jazz necks were a bit chunkier in that era, but I have never encountered one quite as big as these)

image.png

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Have a read of this it might help 

https://gearaficionado.com/blog/fender-avri-vs-custom-shop/

Thanks 👍.

What I was told by Fender is that for folks who wanted something along the lines of what the AVRI was, it could obviate the need to pay more for a CS bass. They deliberately made the American Original series that followed  more generic and less period-correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Im looking for a 4 string jazz bass and I'm a sucker for the vintage vibe. Any owners out there can tell me how good or bad these Fenders are.? Ive seen them with the rosewood fret board. I thought they were maple fretboard only.?

I can highly recommend the MIM fender flea road worn, it has the pure vintage 64 pickups and if you read the reports on here and talk bass you’ll see they have a following, I bought one as my first jazz and it’s playability and tone  are fantastic you can pick one up secondhand for around £700 and I’m positive you wouldn’t be disappointed 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know how you got on b5 , but there’s a nice 75RI here accepting offers, nothing to do with me 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-75-Vintage-Reissue-Bass-Made-In-USA-2002-/265665799556?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Reggaebass