Why become a member? ×

Envy Of None...

NancyJohnson

I am loving Alex Lifeson's new post-Rush project.  If nothing it more than proves that old guys know how to make decent pop music, because that's what this is.  It's a bit of a departure for all you Rush diehards, reminds me of Curve.  A bit of Missing Persons.  

• Like 6

A lot of Rush die hards are slagging this project off but Lifeson never said he was continuing Rush. Personally I love this new band and I am a Rush fanatic. Curve are another band I loved and I can hear the resemblance.

I've never liked Rush but I like this very much indeed and will check out more. I get the Curve thing too. I've long been a big Curve fan . There's also a smidge of Cocteau Twins. I like the young lady's voice here and like Toni Halliday she's very easy on the eye too 😊. Great call, thanks for posting this 👍

Hmm, I quite like that. I’ve never been a particularly big Rush fan, I much prefer their later albums to their early material.

I’ve never understood why people think a new project should just be a continuation of a previous one. This is possibly something he’s wanted to do for a while?

Have the album but not got around to giving it a listen yet. The two tracks I've heard are great, one very darkwave/electro & the other blatantly channeling Type O Negative!

Who'd a' thunk Lerxst would join/form a Goth band? :D

I am really into that album at the moment had the pre-release tracks, and the rest of the album turned up.

I was notified by a friend of mine who is a rush fan, but it is not even slightly rush like, very much like SPC ECHO, which was what the guy in Curve did next.

Had never seen the video - don't think it helps the song.

33 minutes ago, ubit said:

A lot of Rush die hards are slagging this project off but Lifeson never said he was continuing Rush. Personally I love this new band and I am a Rush fanatic. Curve are another band I loved and I can hear the resemblance.

Anyone who'd heard Victor shouldn't be remotely surprised it's nowt like Rush.

• Like 2

I’m glad that Lerxt is doing something, he’s too good a musician to do nowt, or just dwell in the past. It’s not my kind of thing, but at least he’s getting out there.

2 hours ago, ambient said:

Hmm, I quite like that. I’ve never been a particularly big Rush fan, I much prefer their later albums to their early material.

That’s what I like about Rush, there’s often something for everyone in their canon. Permanent Waves through to Counterparts is my favourite era.

• Like 3

I have played it a few times and really like it. There’s a good interview with the bass player (who worked for Anthem Records and introduced Geddy to Tech 21 gear apparently) and their collaborative effort (lockdown-imposed) really shows as it’s not an Alex plus friends thing at all, just 4 great musicians making a really cool record.

• Like 1

I heard their first song on Planet Rock and didn’t really find my world set on fire, but on the back of this thread (thanks @NancyJohnson!) I’ve just spun the whole album twice. I like it. Not my usual choice but I definitely liked it. And Mrs Mert didn’t tell me to turn it off either, so that’s a good thing (in terms of harmony at home at least…)