Why become a member? ×

NBD and pickguard colour suggestions

Vin Venal

Got me a precision in buttercream yellow.

Love this colour, very vintage, without being a cliche. Looks like it could be in a 60s vespa or something.

Pickguard suggestions? The plain white doesn't do it for me. Maybe brown tort? Purple pearl? Black?

Also, does anyone know anything about the colour? It's supposedly a Fender colour from back in the day, but I don't think I've ever seen it on anything vintage. Was it one of the less popular special order jobs?

20220413_175959.jpg

• Like 3

Nice bass! I reckon this is the best colour in the player range and have toyed with picking one of these up before. I reckon black if you're playing rockier stuff and, I used to think tort would go well with it, but seeing that gold has swayed me towards a gold plate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I think that colour is very similar to what they used to call blonde on the Telecaster bass in the 70s. If you Google Teles there are several photos that look similar.

Yeah, I think that's the closest I've seen on vintage basses.

I think the blonde on teles was slightly translucent with some wood grain showing - the buttercream is like an opaque version of that.

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Very Mike Mills…

797E71CC-B9B5-4604-B6DB-A24414354750.jpeg

Nice one! I was looking for an iconic player with one like it. His basslines on REM stuff are killer.

Might have to recreate this:841546534_images(1)(3).jpeg.a076372e89494b89995e4d01877cb799.jpeg

So need a tort pickguard, and a very flamboyant blazer... 😁

On 13/04/2022 at 23:48, Vin Venal said:

So need a tort pickguard, and a very flamboyant blazer... 

3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

So... what was the outcome?

Don't know, I think he's still out buying either a brightly coloured Ibanez bass or a swanky jacket. 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Only been 6 months or so, but finally got round to putting the new scratchplate on this.

Went with the Mike Mills look in the end, I think it looks rather well. Very pleased with how this bass feels, sounds, and now looks. 😁

Thanks for the suggestions.

20221007_170528.jpg

• Like 5