Why become a member? ×

Elixir s/s coated 45-105 and Rotosound RS66LD

Guest BassAdder27

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

No Elixir uses ?? 😳

Dunno how I missed this, yes I’m using these and imo they’re perfect with a Precision for rock. They’re sharper in the sound than the nickels, so better definition (if wanted) and provide a nice solid low end, retaining the traditional warmth of the Pbass. 

I think if I had to be entirely honest I would say Roto 66s every time. But as I like the new/newish string sound that would cost me a fortune as I find that Rotos die within 3 to 4 weeks, whereas the Elixirs I get nearly a year from. So in an alternate version of scissors/paper/stone, wallet beats ears.

• Like 1

Yes my first thoughts are Rotosound are brighter and more aggressive sounding but Elixir are smoother under the fingers 

Also I’m back to 45-105 sets and in the case of the Elixir 85 and 105 and 80 and 105 for the Rotosound 

Edited by BassAdder27

• Guest changed the title to Elixir s/s coated 45-105 and Rotosound RS66LD

I like Rotos, but they generally die on me within 3-4 weeks. Elixirs can last me up to two years. So for regular gigging they end up cheaper. For recording though, a fresh set of Rotos (or any stainless steel roundwound) will be a lot more aggressive than the nickel Elixirs. 

So generally Elixirs for me. 

• 1 month later...

Great strings but … 

Im returning to Fender Pure Nickel on both basses as I find them better for my setup 

Selling two new sets of RS66LD and the hardly used Elixir 45-105 in the for sale section ( and eBay ) 

Elixir were on my PBass and only been played about 4hrs total !

Edited by BassAdder27

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2022 at 13:41, BassAdder27 said:

No Elixir uses ?? 😳

There's plenty of threads/posts about Elixir strings...the search facility is your friend!  

I'd go Elixir (or Markbass coated) every time; I've never really liked Rotosound strings...they were pretty much all you could get when I started playing and they were generally inconsistent qualitywise, so that put me off for good.

I'm not really one of these guys who are like a string sommelier, I'll play anything, but on my basses I just prefer to know what I'm putting on them.

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Elixirs stock on a new bass I bought,  I would not have considered them, but they are very good strings. Sound has not changed much in the last month and they are fairly soft, easy to play and feel and sound good, so I'm leaving them on.

On another bass I put Rotosound SS66, and I liked them, but the bass is quite bright and the strings contribute to that. I've had them on for a month now and they have mellowed some and sound better. I didn't find them hard to play or anything like that. They seem to have more character to them than the elixirs but I do feel the elixirs will outlive them.