Why become a member? ×

Strings for my short scale bass.

NoRhino

What @naxos10says, but I'd like to add there are both long scale (30") strings and medium scale (32") scales. Both might work, depending on how far the tuning posts are from the nut, whether your bass is strung through body or through bridge, and if the bass has a separate bridge and tailpiece or a one-piece bridge. 

These two basses both have a 30" scale, but this Gretsch:

a3_5.jpg

...will have very different string requirements than this Mustang:

fender-vintera-60s-mustang-bass-pau-ferr

The Gretsch will happily accommodate long scale strings, but the Mustang likely will not. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

What @naxos10says, ..will have very different string requirements than this Mustang:

fender-vintera-60s-mustang-bass-pau-ferr

The Gretsch will happily accommodate long scale strings, but the Mustang likely will not. 

Short scale set ordered and due for delivery today. 

As usual, thanks to everyone who commented.  

I have long scale flats (EB cobalts) on my Mustang and ‘Ray short scale. There is some wrapping of the E & A string on the ‘Ray SS and just the E string on the Mustang (the Mustang is through body stringing and is better serviced by medium scale strings in an ideal world) both seem fine. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Does that mean they're less suited to low tunings?

Only if you go too light on the strings. Dropped D does not seem to be an issue with my normal, long scale gauge and 5 stringers exist.

@NoRhino It might be helpful if you could post details of the model of bass (maybe an image) and what kind of strings you normally favour - rounds or flats and gauge etc?  Also, what kind of tone/sound you’re looking for.  I play short-scale almost exclusively and tend to use only two types of string as they meet my needs and ‘compliance’ preferences really well - both short, super light nickel rounds. Both fit on a variety of basses with different construction and hardware but good to see what you’re hoping to achieve on what bass (and I hope the short strings you ordered are doing the job!)

Edited by three
  • Like 1

Rotosound 76 flats work fine on a Mustang style bass with string through body set up. Definitely would be too long if string traditionally from the bridge.

So many variables here without knowing the specific scale length, how they get strung at the bridge end, the headstock/machine head configuration, how much silk (if any) is on the string, whether there is any taper on the string wrap etc.

I just took delivery of a shortscale last Thursday (Mustang-like with string-through-body) and it's strung with roundwound DR Sunbeam 045-105's. I was amazed by how "normal" the string tension feels compared to my longscale basses! I dare say I have experienced longscales that feel floppier with D'Addario 045-105 than this shortscale does with the Sunbeams. I have yet to experiment with this and find "my" ideal strings for this bass, but so far I like what I'm hearing and feeling. 

4 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I just took delivery of a shortscale last Thursday (Mustang-like with string-through-body) and it's strung with roundwound DR Sunbeam 045-105's. I was amazed by how "normal" the string tension feels compared to my longscale basses! I dare say I have experienced longscales that feel floppier with D'Addario 045-105 than this shortscale does with the Sunbeams. I have yet to experiment with this and find "my" ideal strings for this bass, but so far I like what I'm hearing and feeling. 

I think I can speak for a good number of here and request more details as to this mystery bass, pictures even. :)