Why become a member? ×

Teeny tiny analogue compressors.

NicoMcJ

I owned the Pigtronix Philosopher Bass which is a bit of an odd one as I thought it worked best at adding sustain and distortion. For those specific things it's good, not so good at the things most Bass players want from compression for though.

I haven't used these but was looking into having a board of just mini pedals a while back and was considering the ones you mention and:

• Becos Compiq mini
  • Aguilar DB 599
  • Fairfield Circuitry The Accountant 

But as @Bigwan says, compact size (instead of mini) with top mounted jacks (e.g. Empress, Cali 76, Ego, The Warden) seems a better compressor pedal size to me as they don't take up much more pedalboard room, especially when next to other top-mounted pedals. They don't tip over as easily, have more room for the footswitch (e.g. the Becos mini looks like you'd step on switches and a delicate micro dial when you step on the footswitch) and more room for additional and easily visable dials and things like metering.....so I gave up on the mini pedalboard thing, especially for compressors.

Edited by SumOne

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Why teeny, tiny? A 125B enclosure (boss-sized footprint) with top mounted jacks doesn't take up much more space than a 1590A (the size you mention). 

Because I want a tiny one. Thank you for taking the time to comment though.

ED62372F-A245-4136-B1AE-19473FA6C616.jpeg

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I owned the Pigtronix Philosopher Bass which is a bit of an odd one as I thought it worked best at adding sustain and distortion. For those specific things it's good, not so good at the things most Bass players want from compression for though.

I haven't used these but was looking into having a board of just mini pedals a while back and was considering the ones you mention and:

• Becos Compiq mini
  • Aguilar DB 599

But as @Bigwan says, compact size (instead of mini) with top mounted jacks (e.g. Empress, Cali 76, Ego, The Warden) seems a better compressor pedal size to me as they don't take up much more pedalboard room, especially when next to other top-mounted pedals. They don't tip over as easily, have more room for the footswitch (e.g. the Becos mini looks like you'd step on switches and a delicate micro dial when you step on the footswitch) and more room for additional and easily visable dials and things like metering.....so I gave up on the mini pedalboard thing, especially for compressors.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment, but I know which size enclosure I want. Thank you.

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

• Becos Compiq mini
  • Aguilar DB 599

So what decided you against the Aguilar in the end? I plan on using it as an “always on” like I do with the Hypergravity, so switching isn’t a problem for me.

I used to have the Xotic Effects. I've not got my head around compressors properly yet but my guitarist uses once and he also plays bass and he rates it on both instruments. Appently you can fine tune it using some switches hidden inside the back cover. Exciting.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

I used to have the Xotic Effects. I've not got my head around compressors properly yet but my guitarist uses once and he also plays bass and he rates it on both instruments. Appently you can fine tune it using some switches hidden inside the back cover. Exciting.

Ooh it didn’t realise it had extra bits inside! Nice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

So what decided you against the Aguilar in the end? I plan on using it as an “always on” like I do with the Hypergravity, so switching isn’t a problem for me.

It seemed limited on controls (I wanted something that works for slap, and Dub, and synth, so needed quite a lot of control), but I think the minimal type compressors can work well if they happen to fit the type of compression you want. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

It seemed limited on controls (I wanted something that works for slap, and Dub, and synth, so needed quite a lot of control), but I think the minimal type compressors can work well if they happen to fit the type of compression you want. 

That’s a good point.  I’m very much a rock guy but I always see Aguilar as a kind of “slap” brand.  Definitely worth trying one for real before spending any money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NicoMcJ said:

I did give that some serious thought, but I thought I’d give analogue a try this time. I hope it works out for me!

Ah yes I forgot about that requirement! Well good luck. I always prefer digital compressors for the faster attack and lack of noise mostly, and as I tend to use them with a high threshold and high ratio I'm not swayed by one that 'sounds' like anything. But I'm 100% behind you on losing for something really niche, as I do the same with pedals, particularly preferring pedals that take batteries. The Aguilar looks worth checking out but I've hard good tings about the Xotic apart from the noise level. 

• Like 1

I have a few compressors including the Xotic. Enough controls for me (always on and the odd bit if twiddling but not much really). I love the fact it’s analogue and reasonably simple. It squishes nicely and at low and mid settings no real issue with noise. At high if you adjust the blend control suitably noise is reduced to an acceptable level. I also have a Spectracomp that I like as well.

• Like 1