Why become a member? ×

Cab Riser

Guest BassAdder27

I’m surprised that you cannot buy a bass cab riser ( think nicer beer crate )  as it would be popular in getting cabs raised so you can hear better 

A nice black tolex unit with rubber feet  say 12” tall would make all the difference. 

Anyone fancy making me one !! For a good price of course !!

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Yes like that but not tilted back ( head would fall off ) 

With a bit of ingenuity you can find a method of securing the head. In my case I attached two inch high feet to the front edge of the amp that hang down far enough to hook over the front of the cab. Where hearing what you're doing is concerned, especially on a tight stage, tilt back is even more effective than lifting.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

With a bit of ingenuity you can find a method of securing the head. In my case I attached two inch high feet to the front edge of the amp that hang down far enough to hook over the front of the cab. Where hearing what you're doing is concerned, especially on a tight stage, tilt back is even more effective than lifting.

That’s a good idea Bill

Vaguely recall some sort of empty box / cab that had something like a transmission line port... you sat your combo (cab) on top and it increased or excenuated the bass, made it sound louder my moving more air... got a tilt back stand but can"t help thinking a coupled empty sound box would be better. like having ya hi fi speakers on an old empty sideboard.

Anyone any ideas... design wise... empty box?

Was thinking about a Ply or MDF sleeve cover.... slot in the top for the handle... a sort of half case.

Simply take the ply sleeve cover of the combo... place the combo on the ply sleeve cover!

Or have the cover on its back and firing out the front!

In my Gtr days i used a length of 2" x 2" tucked under the front edge of the combo to tilt it back a bit...

Edited by PaulThePlug

15 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Yes like that but not tilted back ( head would fall off ) 

I am looking at this issue at the moment. Got BS317 tiltback, works great. Curretnly parking head underneath, verticla on a Hercules guitar stand.  But for head slidy off issue, I've got this coming after Easter, £5 from IKEA or £9 from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/IKEA-BRÄDA-Laptop-Support-Black/dp/B00BT394MC/ref=asc_df_B00BT394MC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205157006079&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9791211232497669135&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045084&hvtargid=pla-378617878046&psc=1 .   Hook lip over front of cab.  Once I've got it to work you can come and see as you're only round the corner.

_72A2729x.jpg

Edited by lownote

20211207_114809.jpg.436cec43a451984585a289346b052d36.jpg

Double wall cardboard cut so all the top edge forms a plane that supports the bass of the cab while the tail of the cab sits on the floor. Solid as a rock but don't flood it with a jug of beer unless wrapped in duct tape. It will stow in the cab port.

Z plate hooked over cab to hold amp or the tall feet trick. If you spec it right it will also stow in the cab port.

• Like 1

Almost done.  Head now on top of cab thanks to £9 worth of laptop stand, and four pot risers from garden centre to clear the sticky out Barefaced handle. A simple tie down strap renders it all bomb proof. 

_72A2730.JPG

Edited by lownote
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, lownote said:

Almost done.  Head now on top of cab thanks to £9 worth of laptop stand, and four pot risers from garden centre to clear Barafaced handle, which sticks out. Probably need some sort of tie down to be 'pub cautious'

_72A2730.JPG

Does that work the other way round so the stand doesn’t protrude to much onto the speaker front? 

2 hours ago, Bunion said:

Does that work the other way round so the stand doesn’t protrude to much onto the speaker front? 

Would be good, but the other 'lip' is too low to safely hold onto the cab. Would be ideal if big lip was smaller and small lip was bigger.  But that would mean major surgery. And it's only a tad bigger than the Barefaced sign it hides.

Edited by lownote
  • Sad 1

On 13/04/2022 at 16:32, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

No offence Bill but I hate these things with the passion of a thousand burning suns. They’re heavy, awkward to stow, and the rivets eventually fail.

I don’t use any kind of riser with my bass rig, but for my guitar amp I use a decorator’s hop-up sprayed black.