Why become a member? ×

NBD - not black, but still a Precision

Lozz196

Following @FinnDaves new pair of sunburst beauties, I received this today, a Fender 2016 US Standard. Shock horror, it’s not black as you can see but the classic Precision imo in sunburst/tort/rosewood. Plays and sounds fantastic, largely thanks to the Custom Shop 62 pickups. Thanks to Mark at Classic & Cool Guitars for a nice & easy transaction.

2617F305-9D76-4B7E-AF8A-11904C1C46B6.jpeg

• Like 40

32 minutes ago, peteb said:

The US Standards with the CS pickups (2011? - 2016) are definitely my favourite series of latter day Fenders. Great bass with classic looks... 

Yep, mine too, for me def the best Precisions I’ve had.

31 minutes ago, Maude said:

Oh great, now I want to put tort back on my sunburst P! 

That looks lovely. 

Didn't I see you're off to sunny Torquay to pick up a black/black/maple P though. 

P basses a plenty! 

Yes, nabbed a 2014 black/maple, just got to exercise some patience (something I find very difficult) and wait a couple of weeks til I’m on leave to drive down and pick it up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Following @FinnDaves new pair of sunburst beauties, I received this today, a Fender 2016 US Standard. Shock horror, it’s not black as you can see but the classic Precision imo in sunburst/tort/rosewood. Plays and sounds fantastic, largely thanks to the Custom Shop 62 pickups. Thanks to Mark at Classic & Cool Guitars for a nice & easy transaction.

That's very similar to mine, and around the same age. I absolutely love it and stopped looking at other P basses.

On 12/04/2022 at 18:34, Lozz196 said:

None more, err..., sunburst...?

24 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Lovely looking bass Lozz

Are you going to stick S/S RW on it ? 

Rather bizarrely I’ve put a set of Rotosound flats that I had hanging around on it, want to check out how they work with my classic rock band. Though I suspect that it will ultimately be getting a new set of S/S Elixirs (already purchased).

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Rather bizarrely I’ve put a set of Rotosound flats that I had hanging around on it, want to check out how they work with my classic rock band. Though I suspect that it will ultimately be getting a new set of S/S Elixirs (already purchased).

I found when I tried flats I just didn’t like the smooth string sensation from my plucking / picking hand point 

I guess years of RW and that string feedback is hard to brake 

Enjoy the bass either way as I’m sure it’s lovely 

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m sure it’ll end up with rounds but I just felt the need to play the classic rock on a Precision with flats. 

I just got home from a rehearsal where I use the new Player Precision I got last week and have re-strung with flats - sounded great and the rest of the band thought so as well. Three out of my current four basses have  flats on them and I suspect the fourth will have them soon as well.

• Like 1

I put flats on my P Bass the other week. I loved the sound but found it didn't cut through enough in the band. Realised it was a good excuse to get another P so I can have one with flats and one with round!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CJPJ said:

I put flats on my P Bass the other week. I loved the sound but found it didn't cut through enough in the band. Realised it was a good excuse to get another P so I can have one with flats and one with round!!

That's exactly why I bought a Player Precision last week - but within a couple of days of it arriving, it had flats on as well!

I'm not so sure anymore that the bass needs to 'cut through' so much as just sit in the mix - stop playing mid song (preferably not at a gig) and hear how much is missing even if the bass wasn't prominent. 

• Like 2