Why become a member? ×

My Genz Benz 810 speakers are Damaged?!

levijesse

Recently bought a Genz Benz XB3 810. It was damaged in shipping and 2 of the woofers (top 2) are damaged / crinkled around the foam surround. Interestingly it is right by the screw mounting holes that there's the wrinkles so it makes me think it was damaged in transit and not from loud usage. (because of that fact and also because the seller swears there was no damage previously)

However the seller claims it is 100% UPS' fault and did the insurance claim thing and gave me some refund back so I can buy a couple new speakers. 

1. Do I have to buy identical speaker replacements to replace the top 2 damaged ones?

2. It's still working good and sounds good even at high SPL's (even from the damaged speakers). Should I just keep using it as is?

Any suggestions @agedhorse ?

IMG_20220408_222320503.jpg

IMG_20220405_192036944.jpg

IMG_20220405_192046811.jpg

Edited by levijesse

I have not tried this, so I offer no guarantees, but if the speaker is going to be replaced or reconed anyway I would probably try holding the affected area of the speaker over a steaming kettle and apply pressure to the front & back of the cone to flatten out the creases, taking care of course not to get steam into the central part of the speaker.

3 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have not tried this, so I offer no guarantees, but if the speaker is going to be replaced or reconed anyway I would probably try holding the affected area of the speaker over a steaming kettle and apply pressure to the front & back of the cone to flatten out the creases, taking care of course not to get steam into the central part of the speaker.

Use steam infused with the blood of a virgin barmaid? Never heard of this witchcraft either.

50 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Indeed it would be some kind of miracle. Damage on the inside behind a grill with no damage ?  Very supect

One would hope UPS told the seller where to go and he coughed for the replacements himself, having innocently failed to notice he had way overpowered his cab at some stage.

Hats off to UPS for a change, for delivering a cab with no forklift fork holes.

Those two creases are on the outer part of the suspension rings, and their presence will have little effect on neither the sound nor the longevity of those speakers. I'd close it up and carry on playing; after a while you'll have forgotten that they were there. If you've had some cash back, put it in the bank for now, but I doubt you'll be needing it.
Just my tuppence-worth. :friends: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Those two creases are on the outer part of the suspension rings, and their presence will have little effect on neither the sound nor the longevity of those speakers. I'd close it up and carry on playing; after a while you'll have forgotten that they were there. If you've had some cash back, put it in the bank for now, but I doubt you'll be needing it.
Just my tuppence-worth. :friends: 

If you give a closer look there is a definite creasing to the right side cone.

It looks like 2 sets of damage.

Something squidged the surrounds well and truly at some stage, like it was left face down on top of a hard rimmed box for a day or two.

The grill got reinstalled.

Cone creased at the point of the earlier damage.

I think if it was mine I would get the reconing done before OE reconing parts are all gone.

Edited by Downunderwonder

It's really hard to tell the extent of the damage from your pics but it looks as if the metal speaker baskets might be bent, distorted. If that is the case there is no economical repair and you need to replace the drivers. If the baskets are OK then a re-cone is a possibility if you/someone can identify the drivers. That may cost something approaching the cost of new drivers so it would make sense to price both before starting that process. Replace like for like if that is possible. The speakers will have to match the existing ones and also the cab which is clearly ported.

Steaming involves having a controlled source of steam which uses heat and water to soften both the treatment on the surround and the paper pulp of the cone. For the cone at least the combination breaks down the bonds that bind the wood fibres together and is also used to bend wood into curves. I've successfully steam ironed paper back into shape and made a wooden hoop for a banjo but trying to do this with precision on a speaker cone would be.... interesting. Getting the cone wet would be likely to cause it to distort more.

If you want to take the damaged drivers out and give us a better look we'd be in a better position to advise but I suspect identifying and replacing the damaged drivers is the only route liable to be successful. Aged horse will be giving you good advice.

FWIW I can see no way that damage was caused in transit

That's classic damage from a hard fall (either shipping or a gigging load-in/out gone terribly wrong). There are cracks in the baffle, the baskets are clearly distorted at the mounting screws and it's likely that there's more damage that is not yet uncovered. If the top 2 drivers are damaged, it's common for there to be more drivers with damage. This is a older, heavy cabinet without the value (IMO) to justify repairing (or replacing) the baffle, and drivers (even if only 4 drivers are damaged). When the cost of a proper repair exceeds the value of the cabinet, it's time to look at other options.

Regarding reconing, there's no way a pro recone shop would recone a speaker with a distorted basket, the chances of success are very low and nobody wants to warranty (and eat the cost) of a repair that they know is not right.

If the cabinet works ok for his application as is, I recommend leaving well enough alone. The less it's moved around, the better. As soon as you start taking it apart it's almost certain that it won't go back together without bigger problems than he has now. 

• Like 1